Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone else a slave to the upgrade list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

JFK-LAX Sunday. 764, 24 seats available...downgraded to non PS 763...18 seats...then 6 days out...12 seats...5 days...8 seats...3 days...4 seats...and now T-24, 1 seat. I can't believe how many of these last minute D1 fares get gobbled up. Clearly revenue management knows something I don't..
Old May 20, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by royevans75
JFK-LAX Sunday. 764, 24 seats available...downgraded to non PS 763...18 seats...then 6 days out...12 seats...5 days...8 seats...3 days...4 seats...and now T-24, 1 seat. I can't believe how many of these last minute D1 fares get gobbled up. Clearly revenue management knows something I don't..
There are a couple years worth of RUC's and GUC's floating around out there. And now we can actually reach someone on the phone to apply one instead of falling asleep on hold.
Did you see a cash op-up offer that was significantly less than the fare difference?
boss315 likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

I've applied an RUC so I get it. No, there was never a buy up offer and believe me I've checked...

Last edited by royevans75; May 20, 2022 at 7:11 pm
Old May 21, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business travel is coming back and this is one route where there is a lot of paid FC demand. Could also be GUCs clearing ahead of your RUC.
boss315 and ryandc99 like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I never assume or rely on upgrades on transcon D1 routes. I’ve had success with GUC, but if I want to sit up front I pay for it. DL’s revenue management has done a good job over the years of training me to pay for F/D1. I’d say it’s now half the flights I fly. Years ago I had a DM ask me how I got a first class seat when he was sitting I coach and I bluntly told him “you can pay for these seats”. (He saw my PM tag on my backpack.)

In my experience this year, planes are full, F is full, upgrade lists are long with few gate upgrades. I think FCM is working.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately paid D one transcon is not in my budget.

But someone explain this one to me. A few hours ago, my flight got switched to a 76L. It went from six rows of D1 to nine. All of a sudden I’m number two on the list with nine seats available and sitting pretty.

Three hours later they are all gone and availability is once again zero.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Showing #2 on the list does not mean you are second in line for the upgrade. That list is only used by the gate agent shortly prior to departure. For a flight tomorrow, the upgrades would be cleared on the back end based on the published priority order, regardless of whether the passenger has checked in. You only go on the web/app standby list once you've checked in. So seems lots of higher priority elites that were cleared by a sweep.
(Or less likely, another flight tomorrow was canceled and they accommodated those pax in the larger cabin.)
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There can also be SDCs onto the flight from customers with premium cabin tickets or others could have taken FCM offers.

Most of us expect to move down on the upgrade list we see as departure time approaches, due to others checking in. As a DM with a Reserve card on two or three hour domestic FC flights, I'm relatively happy if I end up as #1 or #2.
Old May 21, 2022, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I hear all that…but I’ve been at #2 for a loooong time now and watching it go from 9 to 0 was interesting.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by royevans75
Yeah I hear all that…but I’ve been at #2 for a loooong time now and watching it go from 9 to 0 was interesting.
That's nothing. I was #1 on a transcon flight on another airline with top tier status. 23 available seats inside of T-24. I never had a chance even with instrument application.

LAX/SFO and NYC (JFK/EWR) are two of the most competitive domestic routes. It is par for the course seats get scooped up last minute, even at thousands of dollars.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

That’s brutal. But how did this one happen? I’m at LAX, #1 on list for 2 seats at T-70 (minutes). I check at t-60, and now they’re both gone. I’m still #1.

I know, WFBF but that was a big letdown. I wonder if that could have only been a SDC?
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It very easily could have been a SDC, there are no fare class restrictions for paid premium cabin tickets. Also maybe either an upgrade offer or someone just up-faring.
Also - the # of seats shown on the upgrade list screen does NOT reflect the number of seats actually available - it's only the number of un-assigned seats. So flight could have been full even at T-70 and those last 2 seats were assigned when those pax checked in right before the cut-off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.