Wiki Posts
Search

Delta American Express

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Delta American Express

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask for some advice on Amex/Delta cards and the benefits they give for Delta SkyMiles. I currently have the Amex Delta Platinum but I am eying the Amex Platinum Card. From all the research I have done, it seems as though the only benefit I would be missing out on is the free baggage. My question is, is it worth it to keep something like a Delta Gold Card for that or better to use 1 of the 3 slots for Amex cards on another card like the Amex Gold or another Amex Card.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Benjamin Diehl
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask for some advice on Amex/Delta cards and the benefits they give for Delta SkyMiles. I currently have the Amex Delta Platinum but I am eying the Amex Platinum Card. From all the research I have done, it seems as though the only benefit I would be missing out on is the free baggage. My question is, is it worth it to keep something like a Delta Gold Card for that or better to use 1 of the 3 slots for Amex cards on another card like the Amex Gold or another Amex Card.
I didn't think the Amex Platinum had a BOGO for Delta tickets like the Amex Delta Platinum does. Although I think the Delta Platinum is only for coach BOGO (maybe C+, but not F, as that requires the Reserve card).

So I guess it depends on how often you fly Delta (domestically) to make use of the Delta certificate.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I believe you have a $200.00 airline credit from Amex Platinum which you could use to off set the baggage charges. If you fly Delta enough in one year you could obtain Elite status which would allow at least one bag free.

I had a Platinum Delta Skymiles card at one time. I like the flexibility that my Amex Platinum card gives me to choose any airline. Using the Amex Travel service with my Platinum card, I have saved thousands of dollars, sometimes in one transaction alone.
Old May 13, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
The Delta Platinum also lets you use "Pay With Miles" -- were each SkyMile is a penny -- eg. apply 10000 miles to reduce the fare by $100. In the Before Times you earned full MQM (and MQD on the cash portion) and awards earned zero but with award ticket earnings that may not be as big a deal.

Not usually a good use of SM but sometimes it works -- I've seen a domestic roundtrip award costing 50K SM but a money ticket is like $300 (not quite apples to oranges). I my case I had promised someone a "miles ticket" and it was cheaper to go with PWM.

The Delta Platinum also allows the MQD wavier with $25K spend on the card (plus some MQMs)

I actually hold both, but the (unbranded) Platinum may get dropped -- they keep raising the fee and adding "benefit" I have no interest in using. Mostly it is for lounge access (SkyClub on domestic -- SkyTeam E+ handles INTL) and Priority Pass on outstations. But lots of cards offer the latter...
Old May 13, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
The Delta Platinum also lets you use "Pay With Miles" -- were each SkyMile is a penny -- eg. apply 10000 miles to reduce the fare by $100. In the Before Times you earned full MQM (and MQD on the cash portion) and awards earned zero but with award ticket earnings that may not be as big a deal.

Not usually a good use of SM but sometimes it works -- I've seen a domestic roundtrip award costing 50K SM but a money ticket is like $300 (not quite apples to oranges). I my case I had promised someone a "miles ticket" and it was cheaper to go with PWM.

The Delta Platinum also allows the MQD wavier with $25K spend on the card (plus some MQMs)

I actually hold both, but the (unbranded) Platinum may get dropped -- they keep raising the fee and adding "benefit" I have no interest in using. Mostly it is for lounge access (SkyClub on domestic -- SkyTeam E+ handles INTL) and Priority Pass on outstations. But lots of cards offer the latter...

PWM tickets are treated like revenue tickets. If you buy a rare traveler (like an employee of mine who flew for the first time this week at age 50) a PWM ticket and they cancel then only they can use the value of the ticket for future travel. With an award ticket you can redeposit the miles and use them for anyone.
SEA_DLflyer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
PWM tickets are treated like revenue tickets. If you buy a rare traveler (like an employee of mine who flew for the first time this week at age 50) a PWM ticket and they cancel then only they can use the value of the ticket for future travel. With an award ticket you can redeposit the miles and use them for anyone.
That is why I said they weren't the same -- there are advantages to both and you can't use PWM if you only have the unbranded Amex Plat (which what the OP was inquiring about). Is there still a redeposit fee for all be PM and DM? (I've not kept of on things since the pandemic)

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; May 14, 2022 at 8:54 am
Old May 13, 2022, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe OP should consider just getting the Reserve card, not the regular AmEx Plat charge card, as an upgrade from the DL Plat credit card (which I assume OP has had for a full year, otherwise this won't work).
Old May 13, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe OP should consider just getting the Reserve card, not the regular AmEx Plat charge card, as an upgrade from the DL Plat credit card (which I assume OP has had for a full year, otherwise this won't work).
I would never recommend someone upgrade to an AMEX card that the person hasn't held previously. You'll forgo a proper sign up bonus.

It's better to open a new reserve account and close the platinum 30 days after the annual fee is assessed so it will be refunded in full and the companion certifcate will be in your account for future use.
Old May 13, 2022, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Benjamin Diehl
My question is, is it worth it to keep something like a Delta Gold Card for that or better to use 1 of the 3 slots for Amex cards on another card like the Amex Gold or another Amex Card.
Keep in mind that charge cards (i.e. Green, Gold, and Platinum) do not count towards credit card limits and are considered a separate category.

Originally Posted by 6P&E
I believe you have a $200.00 airline credit from Amex Platinum which you could use to off set the baggage charges.
This is true, but it's also not that hard to simply use the $200 credit for a flight and get it fully reimbursed by using one of the methods described here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: DL only (2022). That way, OP can use a Delta co-branded card for free checked bags while still being able to fully utilize the $200 credit elsewhere.
Old May 13, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by hurnik
I didn't think the Amex Platinum had a BOGO for Delta tickets like the Amex Delta Platinum does. Although I think the Delta Platinum is only for coach BOGO (maybe C+, but not F, as that requires the Reserve card).

So I guess it depends on how often you fly Delta (domestically) to make use of the Delta certificate.
are you referring to the companion certificate? Pretty sure there is no regular BOGO offer with the reserve…if there is, I’ve been messing this up for years. The companion certificate allows for a BOGO, but only one per year, and is restricted to specific fare classes. I’ve never had a problem using them until this year. Now, it seems much more difficult to find availability for the routes I’m looking at.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stygian7
are you referring to the companion certificate? Pretty sure there is no regular BOGO offer with the reserve…if there is, I’ve been messing this up for years. The companion certificate allows for a BOGO, but only one per year, and is restricted to specific fare classes. I’ve never had a problem using them until this year. Now, it seems much more difficult to find availability for the routes I’m looking at.
Huh? The DL platinum AMEX and the DL reserve AMEX offer a BOGO certificate. The former is Main only and the latter Main/C+/or F.

They are inventory controlled (but incredibly easy to use with advanced purchase). It's 14+ day advanced purchase, 48 states, booking in L and below.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
They are inventory controlled (but incredibly easy to use with advanced purchase). It's 14+ day advanced purchase, 48 states, booking in L and below.
There is no advance purchase requirement; only that of the underlying fare.

(Also as a niche benefit but huge value add, it is good between Alaska or Hawaii (or PR or USVI) and CONUS if your address is in one of those states.)
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by findark
There is no advance purchase requirement; only that of the underlying fare.

(Also as a niche benefit but huge value add, it is good between Alaska or Hawaii (or PR or USVI) and CONUS if your address is in one of those states.)
I guess I should have been clearer. In almost all situations, the underlying L class and below fares will require a 14-day advanced purchase requirement. It's true it's not a listed requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.