Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
It has not been “unlimited” since they required same day DL/ST travel. If I am flying AA I cannot use SC.
Has anyone filed a lawsuit over their unlimited definition? I think there were lawsuits filed against the wireless carriers over the definition of "unlimited"?
Old May 6, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by jiburi
NO and WHY! Everyone should be upset and considering to fight/sue for changes in terms. The current membership clearly indicated "unlimited club access (in conjunction with Delta Flight)" but effective June 1, it will only be within 3 hours of departing Delta Flight. This is another Delta Airlines breaching their original contract with many of the current Sky Club members. Delta likely already knows, this is breach of original contract, which is why they are offering pro-rated refunds. At a minimum, Delta should honor the term of original membership term and apply its new policy for renewals. Pro-rated cancellation is the consumer's acceptance to their big company corporate greed.

Don't give in to Delta.

Jiburi
If you sue and win, what do you expect to get? The fair solution sounds like a prorated refund, and maybe, in specific circumstances, a full refund. But do you think a court is going to enjoin delta from changing their rules?
Old May 6, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Having been a member when the Crown Room was just complimentary drinks and peanuts/snack mix, I'd wager it's the buffet that is bringing people to the club earlier, keeping them in the club longer and costing DL a lot more than the free liquor poured. I would be happy if the product reverted back to the old model--let restaurants be restaurants and stop feeding everyone.
The entry calculus is completely different now. Amex credit card access and marketing have dramatically increased those eligible for entry. Then you have blogs amplifying the marketing efforts. I used to belong to the Crown Room when it was purchased membership only and the travelling public barely knew they existed. Heck, I switched over to Amex card access because it was a better value than purchased membership. I feel bad for those who purchased memberships only to see Centurion card holders given higher priority.

One factor that led to the relative upscaling of SkyClubs was the absence of D1/ business class lounges. I don't see it happening but if D1/ business lounges were reintroduced on a wider scale along with upscale food then SkyClubs could revert to the classic Crown Room drinks/snacks and a quiet seat model.

Until then I say cut back on unlimited drinks and give us back entry on arrival.

Jim
Old May 6, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by lsquare
I read about that. I wish AA/Citi would bring that perk back as I have a Citi Prestige!
Yeah, prestige used to be an awesome card (though I still have it because my annual fee is discounted by $100 and the 2 year warranty is still valuable for me, so it's still a good card). It was basically on the same level of the old CNB crystal card. But as with most loss leaders, they eventually die out.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Has anyone filed a lawsuit over their unlimited definition? I think there were lawsuits filed against the wireless carriers over the definition of "unlimited"?
Where has DL actually used the term "unlimited" in it's access rules? You can't sue over a term that has never been used.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Hope Delta reconsiders this.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by mkorpal3333
Bummer. Arrival access is nice if I need to use the restroom, or if I'm going from a cold to warm place so I can change clothes.
Make come as a surprise, they do have restrooms in the terminals for the commoners. You can even change clothes in the handicap stall if needed.
NoleATL and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrHockey
Make come as a surprise, they do have restrooms in the terminals for the commoners. You can even change clothes in the handicap stall if needed.
For the plebs? Really?!?
strickerj likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by melissaaldric
Where has DL actually used the term "unlimited" in it's access rules? You can't sue over a term that has never been used.
I don't know. It was mentioned in this thread and I assumed DL used unlimited in its marketing.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
As someone already pointed out, back when Delta had a Crown Room with limited attendance only, they were probably serving meals to all passengers onboard. Now Delta doesn’t even serve any kind of real meal to economy passenger on 6+ hour domestic flights. The SkyClub has become an important way to feed a lot of traveling customers.

During the pandemic, one of the best things SkyClubs did was introduce individually wrapped sandwiches, which obviously many people brought onboard. If Delta wanted to reduce crowding, adding grab and go options may be the most effective way - people can get to the airport closer to departure, maybe grab one quick beverage, then grab water, drinks, food, whatever, and bring them to the gate.
lsquare, IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; May 7, 2022 at 3:21 am
Old May 7, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Adelphos
If Delta wanted to reduce crowding, adding grab and go options may be the most effective way - people can get to the airport closer to departure, maybe grab one quick beverage, then grab water, drinks, food, whatever, and bring them to the gate.
Why should Delta give out food?

I think one could argue that there are a lot of people getting a lot more than their money's worth out of the "grab and go" dining already, so maybe the "no access on arrival" saves money AND space.

It's hard to argue (as some have) that the premium users are the "grab and go" ones, even if their visits are quicker. They're using space AND buffet resources, and are almost certainly (from the descriptions here) money losers for the club.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Members of the military are not charged annual fees for credit card, by federal statute.

I access the SkyClubs through my Amex Plat and that’s the main reason I fly Delta when i do. I’m mainly flying out of NY and DC and have no need to fly one particular carrier. I just buy F and take the flight I like best. I would be happy with a compromise that Amex Plat holders only receive access to SkyClubs on domestic flights when in F. Would probably make a big difference for crowding.
"I would be happy with a compromise that means everything is unchanged for me personally"

ok, thanks, that's really interesting.

I mean, I hate to single you out here, because these threads are always full of people bending over backwards to construct these scenarios where their personal usage pattern is elevated to the Most Valued Skyclub Guest and only the other usage is degraded. And, OK? Great. And while we're at it, the Lottery Commission should change the rules so that I always win whenever I decide to play.
dw, jebr and MrHockey like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
Lounge access via credit card is definitely not “complimentary”
right. it's extremely weird that people think there's some sort of moral difference between getting access via method A versus method B (it tends to mostly be people who have chosen method A, and by an extremely weird coincidence, they all seem to think method A is morally superior to method B).
SCChris, kale73, NoleATL and 2 others like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
NO and WHY! Everyone should be upset and considering to fight/sue for changes in terms.
lol

please don't forget to give us a report to let us know how this turns out, I am sure it will be highly entertaining
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
LGA skyclub just now front desk asked to see the email and screenshot as they were unaware and getting lots of complaints

Also the 3rd time with my exec membership that it goes unnoticed and I'm asked to swipe my card for my guest.
gaugeguy and KDCAflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.