Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too Many People on Upgrade List?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:22 pm

At times I have forgotten to check the request upgrade box and thus why my name did not appear on UG list.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don't think this is a thing. If you want to spend time on this, call back and ask for a supervisor. If there is some real issue with your ticket they could reissue it. But if there are only a few seats left it may not be worth your time.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Why not share actual routes instead of masking them with XXX or YYY? Could provide potential data points.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I have experienced a myriad of quirks and issues lately with upgrades, upgrade lists, first class seat maps, you name it. Seems like the entire IT operation is inconsistent and horribly dysfunctional at present. Sometimes things work perfectly, while at other times it doesn't work at all, and the agents and employees often don't even understand what you are trying to say.
I tend to agree
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL, UA
I normally travel with a couple of different colleagues who are Diamond (earned) so I pick up their upgrade priority if it's just the two of us on the reservation. Jan/Feb were hit and miss. Generally bookings are 3-4 weeks in advance, and still we're 6-8 on the list for LA-SLC flights and then 3-4 on the list for SLC-connecting to more regional airport hops.
I think the swell of medallion ranks is to blame with a hunch I've got that the IT promise of 'earned' holding priority over 'rolled over' not being active... yet?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
This sounds like some malarkey.

I’ve been on a hub to hub flight on a widebody where the UG List was 150+ deep… bonus points if anyone can guess the route.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
No way. The 777 now A350 LAX flights often have 120+ on the (no chance of) upgrade list.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
If you keep rolling over miles, there are going to be some pretty long upgrade lists, with a lot of parity.

There's at least one more year of rolled-over status. People are still getting credit for mqms earned in 2020.
ohhleary likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 5:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Platinum with Delta and flying today on two segments. System says I have been placed on the upgrade list. My second segment from ATL-YYY shows me first on the upgrade list. My first segment from XXX-ATL does not have my name anywhere on the upgrade list. I check my reservation again and it says I have been added to the upgrade list.

I call Delta and had a very nice agent try to help. She put me on hold and talked to support and came back and said I don't see my name because the list is too long and once it hits a certain number you actually don't get on the upgrade list.

I've been Plat for 6 years and never seen this before so maybe I have been lucky. Is it true that the list can get so long you aren't placed on it, no matter your status? Thanks!
This has happened to me before but I am a lowly silver. Essentially you can be on the list, but be so far down it does not show up in the app. I find it hard to believe though that there are THAT many Plat or above who checked in before you, and I actually cleared the list when this happened because there was a massive misconnect on my flight, and the entire delta one cabin on an a330 from LAX to JFK was empty. Once they started clearing people from the upgrade list my name showed up. That being said it doesn't seem likely this is what happened to you
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Just as a follow up.
a) Why did I mask the cities? Possibly ill placed paranoia. No idea if this is monitored and it would be easy to determine who I was by Delta with the information provided. They are both medium sized mainland US cities.
b) As mentioned in OP, I did check the website and the reservation itself says "Added to Upgraded List" for both flights but the Upgrade list did not show my name and position for the first flight.
c) Called back again but wait time was so long I didn't talk to anyone else.
d) Only two seats available and as a Plat, I assumed (correctly) that Diamonds or above would get them.

Long story short, I wasn't going to get the upgrade anyways but had never heard of the "Upgrade list to long" before and wanted to see if that was a thing. As a couple posters above mentioned, sounds like a stray IT issue that just didn't work. Appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited by DawgmanOH; Mar 4, 2022 at 7:12 am
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cakiwi
I normally travel with a couple of different colleagues who are Diamond (earned) so I pick up their upgrade priority if it's just the two of us on the reservation. Jan/Feb were hit and miss. Generally bookings are 3-4 weeks in advance, and still we're 6-8 on the list for LA-SLC flights and then 3-4 on the list for SLC-connecting to more regional airport hops.
I think the swell of medallion ranks is to blame with a hunch I've got that the IT promise of 'earned' holding priority over 'rolled over' not being active... yet?
I suspect your hunch that DL IT hasn't figured out how to properly implement the "earned" status priority over rolled-over status is correct, and the temporary workaround might be that they manually add only the rollover Elites if they'd have a chance of making the UG. (I don't think OP mentioned if his status was earned or rolled over in 2021).

I'm sure some data & analytics wonk at Virginia Ave has figured out the exact UG List no-show/decline rates for every route in their system, to the point they could get rid of the 100+ person lists and only show your name on the list if you have a decent chance of making the upgrade. I'd almost appreciate if Delta gave some sort of 'Green/Yellow/Red' indication of your upgrade chances at T-24 so I could adjust packing/plans accordingly, but I know a lot of people on here get a sense of self-worth from seeing '58 of 123' next to their initials on the gate monitor...
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:01 am

It's pretty amazing how this forum is literally bursting at the seams with complaints about how ill-informed the agents are, but every time someone gets a new uninformed statement from an agent, the assumption is that delta has actually instituted some new policy that makes literally zero sense.
findark likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:12 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
It's pretty amazing how this forum is literally bursting at the seams with complaints about how ill-informed the agents are, but every time someone gets a new uninformed statement from an agent, the assumption is that delta has actually instituted some new policy that makes literally zero sense.

What's the difference, if you're still screwed?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've had a couple of trips lately where I got upgraded at the 5 day window as a PM on a U fare, with this being one of the only UGs given out at the time, leaving 8 or more seats open, and then get to the airport and see an UG list with 20+ people on it for 1 or 2 empties. If you don't get UG'ed around the time of your window, chances are you won't get UG'ed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.