Too Many People on Upgrade List?

Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Too Many People on Upgrade List?

Platinum with Delta and flying today on two segments. System says I have been placed on the upgrade list. My second segment from ATL-YYY shows me first on the upgrade list. My first segment from XXX-ATL does not have my name anywhere on the upgrade list. I check my reservation again and it says I have been added to the upgrade list.

I call Delta and had a very nice agent try to help. She put me on hold and talked to support and came back and said I don't see my name because the list is too long and once it hits a certain number you actually don't get on the upgrade list.

I've been Plat for 6 years and never seen this before so maybe I have been lucky. Is it true that the list can get so long you aren't placed on it, no matter your status? Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Platinum with Delta and flying today on two segments. System says I have been placed on the upgrade list. My second segment from ATL-YYY shows me first on the upgrade list. My first segment from XXX-ATL does not have my name anywhere on the upgrade list. I check my reservation again and it says I have been added to the upgrade list.

I call Delta and had a very nice agent try to help. She put me on hold and talked to support and came back and said I don't see my name because the list is too long and once it hits a certain number you actually don't get on the upgrade list.

I've been Plat for 6 years and never seen this before so maybe I have been lucky. Is it true that the list can get so long you aren't placed on it, no matter your status? Thanks!
If this is true, it would be a really dumb way for DL to write its upgrade policy since many CIPs buy last minute tickets and also have high tier status. It seems ridiculous to tell some that they have no chance for an upgrade while the upgrade is given to someone with lower status and a cheaper fare class.
Spiff and ohhleary like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

I find this difficult to believe unless this is very, very new. We have posts here on FT with people posting about upgrade lists 100+ names long on aircraft that hold 150 people. And while the Medallion ranks have become inflated over the past couple years with status extension, all MQMs rolling over, etc (and another impact that can drive a Medallion lower down the list is companions now having the same priority as the Medallion member), I also find it difficult to believe a Platinum would be so far down a list as to not make an UG list at all unless DL was capping the UG list at a pretty low number.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If this is true, it would be a really dumb way for DL to write its upgrade policy since many CIPs buy last minute tickets and also have high tier status. It seems ridiculous to tell some that they have no chance for an upgrade while the upgrade is given to someone with lower status and a cheaper fare class.

One would think that they're sorted first. So if you add a higher priority member, they'd be on the list in the correct place, and one would drop off.

All speculation, of course.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Mar 3, 2022 at 6:36 am
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Not being able to get on the upgrade list after the list hits a certain number of people on it? What's that "certain number" then? I would be surprised if there aren't certain circumstances where the last person wanting on the upgrade list has a higher elite status than most or maybe even all of the people already on the upgrade list at the time of requesting the upgrade when there are still seats available for passengers to get upgraded.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I find this hard to believe. I’ve been on pre-COVID flights to ATL from places like LAX and SFO that have had lists close to 100 people long if not longer
CO-PLAT, becks1 and DCAproducer like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't believe this at all, especially being a plat you certainly should be on the list.

There've been numerous reports and I've personally seen multiple cases like this where for some unknown reason you don't get on the upgrade list. You have to call and have an agent fix it and actually put you on the list. Sometimes this was easy, and sometimes difficult depending on the knowledge of the agent since I think the 'automatic' method doesn't work and they have to manually put in the upgrade code.
ohhleary likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Many people have commented here and other Delta forums that they don't appear on upgrade lists. There have been two flights where one I didn't appear on the upgrade list at all even at the gate, but did on the return trip from the same exact airports. Another trip I didn't show up on the upgrade list until at the gate and the seats were already filled (I checked at Check-In and prior to me leaving for the aiport). I honestly think Delta IT has a problem with their upgrade system right now which might explain why a bunch of us aren't clearing at all in our windows. I went from clearing FC as a qualified diamond to nothing now unless it's at the gate. I understand Delta is selling as many seats as possible but 14 FC available on a flight coming up in 3 days and nothing? Bet when I check-in I won't be on the upgrade list.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta
I don't know if this is related, I had an unusual situation yesterday. Was on a ATL-ABE flight (CRJ-700) that was full, I was number 26 on the upgrade list to first. I've never seen such a long list on a flight to ABE before, and given that it was a middle of the week morning flight, looked like mostly families, few business travelers. I had been bumped up to Comfort + 3 days earlier. I didn't mind all that much, just thought it was odd there were so many people ahead of me... I'm gold and have been pretty lucky so far this year getting bumped to first on some flights.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
The app has a lot of issues with the upgrade list, the website is usually better. I have had some issues recently where one of the two segments did not have me on the list and it is 100% an IT issue. Mine have all been on the second leg when I checkin early, but the second leg is still over 24 hours away.

I have seen at the airport GA try to tell you the list is full since it has so many people on it but I firmly state put me on the list, since how many is not relevant to priority. IE I just switched flights and bought a new ticket. Typically I go to one or two on the list, and they often look dumbfounded and amazed.
indufan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:15 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I feel so lucky and relieved when I make 99th on an upgrade list
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
I had a similar issue in January. In that case, the GA tried to add me but couldn't. I haven't had a recurrence since then, but have had only a few upgrade eligible segments since then. It did appear to me that something was very wrong with the list.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
Platinum…was was 32 of 66 Tuesday ATL to SAT. Geez…everyone is flying!!!
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I have experienced a myriad of quirks and issues lately with upgrades, upgrade lists, first class seat maps, you name it. Seems like the entire IT operation is inconsistent and horribly dysfunctional at present. Sometimes things work perfectly, while at other times it doesn't work at all, and the agents and employees often don't even understand what you are trying to say.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
I find this hard to believe. I’ve been on pre-COVID flights to ATL from places like LAX and SFO that have had lists close to 100 people long if not longer
I recall one flight from (I think) LAX several years back where I compared the upgrade list to the number of booked seats as shown on the GIS (minus those already in first) and came up with about a dozen coach passengers who were NOT on the upgrade list. Granted it was not a full flight, but…

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.