Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-JNB help...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I was able to clear, immediately after booking, a GUC from Y to D1 on the ATL-JNB in October (just before the Feb 1 changeover), on my preferred date...I'm guessing this was extreme luck.
That and also before GUC rule changes.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DLATL777
This isnt years ago. You have 2 years of pent up premium demand to South Africa/Safaris. OP should purchase if its important.
I’ve flown to South Africa four times (3x CPT, 1x JNB) since September ‘21, all J, and haven’t had one full J cabin on any segments. Each trip was a different airline - DL, BA, KL & AF. Personally I think COVID testing requirements are still deterring a fair number of people still.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RhinoDL
I'm seeking some advise from the community on a 2-week trip my partner and I are planning to JBN this upcoming fall from the ATL area (HSV, CHA, BNA, BHM, etc.). As way of context, we still have 2 GUCs to burn this year; I'm a Diamond (1st time) and she is/will be a Gold/Plat by that time. We would like at least one of the legs to be in D1 using the GUCs but also not opposed to shelling out a little more to get the other legs in D1 as well. Unless Delta offers some accelerator MQD program I will likely only be about $10k in MQDs as I usually rely on my Amex (25k) for the MQD waiver. Here are a couple questions:

(1) If we acquire round-trip PS tickets; which way would be the most advantageous to use the GUCs; outbound or return? I get that outbound will allow you to land a little more fresh and jump into the vacation but do most people have a preference on this long of a flight. I took a DUB-ATL flight a few years ago in Delta BusinessClass (pre-D1) and it was good but still exhausting.

(2) Is there any good strategies to purchase tickets on partner airlines for this route (or a pass thru Europe)? I have some of skymiles (+400k) and about 150k in Chase Ultimate Reward points; and we probably have another 100k in AmexPoints.

One strategy was for me to buy a RT D1 ticket using Chase points and $ so I can get the ~$5500 MQDs and then use skymiles (200k right now) to purchase a RT in PS for wife and apply my GUCs to her outbound and return leg. I know right now there is a dirth of deals TATL, and I'm not itching to pull the trigger this far out but any constructive advise would be appreciated.
IMO you need to consider carefully how important it is for both of you to be in the same cabin. Some would mind one D1 and one PS seat very much. There's also an issue of how you would feel about not knowing until the day of travel whether you'll be in the same cabin (and probably asking others to move so that you can sit together) or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.