Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-JNB help...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
ATL-JNB help...

I'm seeking some advise from the community on a 2-week trip my partner and I are planning to JBN this upcoming fall from the ATL area (HSV, CHA, BNA, BHM, etc.). As way of context, we still have 2 GUCs to burn this year; I'm a Diamond (1st time) and she is/will be a Gold/Plat by that time. We would like at least one of the legs to be in D1 using the GUCs but also not opposed to shelling out a little more to get the other legs in D1 as well. Unless Delta offers some accelerator MQD program I will likely only be about $10k in MQDs as I usually rely on my Amex (25k) for the MQD waiver. Here are a couple questions:

(1) If we acquire round-trip PS tickets; which way would be the most advantageous to use the GUCs; outbound or return? I get that outbound will allow you to land a little more fresh and jump into the vacation but do most people have a preference on this long of a flight. I took a DUB-ATL flight a few years ago in Delta BusinessClass (pre-D1) and it was good but still exhausting.

(2) Is there any good strategies to purchase tickets on partner airlines for this route (or a pass thru Europe)? I have some of skymiles (+400k) and about 150k in Chase Ultimate Reward points; and we probably have another 100k in AmexPoints.

One strategy was for me to buy a RT D1 ticket using Chase points and $ so I can get the ~$5500 MQDs and then use skymiles (200k right now) to purchase a RT in PS for wife and apply my GUCs to her outbound and return leg. I know right now there is a dirth of deals TATL, and I'm not itching to pull the trigger this far out but any constructive advise would be appreciated.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I believe the new terms for GUCs are in effect so you could book economy and then clear immediately into a PS seat. You won’t be able to clear into D1 until T-24 hours/day of departure though. You may be able to find GUC space on AF or KLM via Europe to South Africa.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You wont clear on the direct. Dont risk your entire trip on a nearly impossible hope. Pay for it.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:16 am
Original Poster

My initial strategy using the GUC (at least on Delta metal which will likely have C+ and PS) was to book into PS so that I'm not subject to the day of departure odds. I guess I originally thought if I book into PS the upgrade to D1 is 'assured' in so long as there is a seat... but re-(re)reading the wiki it seems that to use a GUC from PS to upgrade to D1 Z-space is needed and that the 'last seat rule' really only applies to upgrades from Main/C+ to PS.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I just booked a trip to South Africa for November. I am flying into JNB and out of CPT. I was fortunate that the day I searched D1 upgrades were available on the ATL-JNB flight for the departure day I wanted. Because DL does not serve CPT (at this time) I looked for Z Class availability on Air France using Expert Flyer. Found flights with Z all the way through and called to book it. I did book in PS so I could direct up to D1/Business. Premium Economy is needed for direct business class upgrades on AF also. I was pretty surprised there was D1 availability on ATL-JNB so I jumped on it right away. The agent stayed on the phone with me while the tickets were reissued and to make sure that they AF upgrade was confirmed too. It took a little over an hour, but she new how to search the upgrade space on AF with out issue. I have read stores on other posts that getting upgrade space on AF can be challenging with agents who don't know the rules or how to search for it.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:42 pm

What dates are you looking at OP and are you wanting to use miles or cash?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RhinoDL
(1) If we acquire round-trip PS tickets; which way would be the most advantageous to use the GUCs; outbound or return?.
Neither! But if you really only had one direction to use them I would say the flight down there. Otherwise, if you fly coach down you're going to be miserable when you get there. Starts the trip on a bad note. The truth is - That flight in either direction is too long to sit in coach. But this is coming from a guy who's 6'3 and finds even doing a transcon in Y or Y+ (westbound) my limit. I can't imagine sitting upright with slight recline for 15-16 hours.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DLATL777
You wont clear on the direct. Dont risk your entire trip on a nearly impossible hope. Pay for it.
It's doable but stressful. Years ago I cleared about 2 days in advance on the flight to JNB, and not until the gate on the way back. The thought of 17 hours in C+ was pretty depressing, but thankfully it worked out. I remember back then I could have booked confirmed J for only 180k miles round-trip. In hindsight that would have been much better.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
It's doable but stressful. Years ago I cleared about 2 days in advance on the flight to JNB, and not until the gate on the way back. The thought of 17 hours in C+ was pretty depressing, but thankfully it worked out. I remember back then I could have booked confirmed J for only 180k miles round-trip. In hindsight that would have been much better.
This isnt years ago. You have 2 years of pent up premium demand to South Africa/Safaris. OP should purchase if its important.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
It's doable but stressful. Years ago I cleared about 2 days in advance on the flight to JNB, and not until the gate on the way back. The thought of 17 hours in C+ was pretty depressing,
Agreed; MC/C+ is not really in my plans; it is really just a decision on PS or D1 at this point. Just trying to find the best options at this point; I don't plan to get into a position where I'm relying on day of departure graces.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Agreed; MC/C+ is not really in my plans; it is really just a decision on PS or D1 at this point. Just trying to find the best options at this point; I don't plan to get into a position where I'm relying on day of departure graces.
Out of curiosity, how much does DL want for roundtrip PS or D1?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Make sure you understand the new GUC changes as even though ATL-JNB/JNB-ATL was always tough anyway, the new changes may make day-of-departure graces your only option if you book the nonstop:

Delta Air Lines

2022 Upgrade Certificate Policy Changes:

Effective February 1, 2022 all unused, active Upgrade Certificates will be subject to new Upgrade Certificate policies. Before applying your Upgrade Certificate, please review the latest guidelines below:
  • All newly selected Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates will expire at the end of the Medallion Year associated with that Choice Benefit selection.
    • For example, if you reach Diamond Medallion Status on August 1, 2022, then you will be eligible to select Choice Benefits for your 2023 Status and any Upgrade Certificates selected for your 2023 Status will be valid until January 31, 2024, regardless of the date they were selected.
  • Global Upgrade Certificates will now have access to all Domestic First Class and Delta Premium Select seats upon request. This means any Domestic First Class and Delta Premium Select seats not yet sold will be available to be cleared immediately upon request.
  • All Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed for a one-cabin upgrade above your purchased cabin of service.
    • Each one-way ticket is limited to one Upgrade Certificate per passenger. If you clear into Delta Premium Select, there’s no need to apply an additional Upgrade Certificate; You’ll automatically be added to the waitlist for Delta One and be eligible to clear starting 24 hours prior to departure, pending upgrade availability.
How One-Cabin Upgrades Work Based on Cabin of Service Offered:

Your upgrade certificate may be applied differently depending on the most premium cabin of service offered on your flight. Here are a few common scenarios that might apply to you:
  • Flights with Delta One and Delta Premium Select:
    • If you purchase Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+ and then apply your Global Upgrade Certificate, you will be upgraded to Delta Premium Select upon request and then will be added to the waitlist for Delta One and eligible to clear starting 24 hours prior to departure.
    • If you purchase Delta Premium Select and then apply your Global Upgrade Certificate, you will be upgraded to Delta One, pending upgrade availability.
  • Flights with Delta One without Delta Premium Select: If you purchase Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+, and then apply your Upgrade Certificate, you will be upgraded to Delta One, pending upgrade availability.
  • Flights with Domestic First Class: If you purchase Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+, and then apply your Global Upgrade Certificate, you will be upgraded to Domestic First Class upon request.
  • Flights with Delta Premium Select as most premium cabin: If you purchase Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+, and then apply your Global Upgrade Certificate, you will be upgraded to Delta Premium Select upon request.
We understand these Upgrade Certificate changes may impact your Choice Benefits selection. If you no longer wish to use Upgrade Certificates selected prior to November 15, 2021, they can be exchanged for miles by July 31, 2022.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

What I do know: if you book Main Cabin and apply a GUC, you will clear into PS but you won't be eligible for D1 until day-of-departure.
What I don't know: if you book PS outright and apply a GUC, if you're eligible for a D1 upgrade in advance (if GUC space is or becomes available in advance)
Your other option is try to find a routing via Europe on AF or KL that has appropriate space for which a GUC upgrade could be applied.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Out of curiosity, how much does DL want for roundtrip PS or D1?
DL has roundtrip PS fares from $1970 on ATL-JNB for late October/November travel. There's only $7371 RT D1 fares (I fares) as lowest fares out of ATL currently, but if you fly out of BOS/NYC/WAS and connect via ATL there's Z fares for $3362 - $3465 roundtrip in December/January.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 25, 2022 at 10:05 am
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Despite nonstop, I normally go via AMS. Easier to upgrade and KLM operates JNB/CPT as morning (unlike evening on other carriers) departure. About 1-2 hour connection and into JNB/CPT right at bedtime.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I was able to clear, immediately after booking, a GUC from Y to D1 on the ATL-JNB in October (just before the Feb 1 changeover), on my preferred date...I'm guessing this was extreme luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.