Wiki Posts
Search

Curious upgrade offer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Curious upgrade offer

I have a flight booked from AMS to PDX this summer. When I look at the trip I get a generous upgrade offer to D1 for the paltry sum of about $2100, one way, each passenger. When I look at the seat selection, I get the same upgrade offer for about $800. Which one would you take? ;-)
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you looked carefully at which segments would be upgraded? I'm guessing AMS-PDX has at least one connection.

There can also be differences in whether the ticket is being upfared, meaning that it earns as if it were a purchased D1 ticket versus whether you are merely purchasing a seat in a higher cabin. Seat upgrade purchases may not be refundable if you change the flights and the upgrade might not be honored if a schedule change or flight cancellation or IROPs forces you to rebook.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I really need the credit card spend and extra MQMs. Definitely taking the more expensive one.

Mike
tardyturtle, Spiff and BSAChris like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by mikeef
I really need the credit card spend and extra MQMs. Definitely taking the more expensive one.

Mike

You are definitely the customer they want!

mikeef likes this.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Feb 19, 2022 at 12:24 pm
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you looked carefully at which segments would be upgraded? I'm guessing AMS-PDX has at least one connection.

There can also be differences in whether the ticket is being upfared, meaning that it earns as if it were a purchased D1 ticket versus whether you are merely purchasing a seat in a higher cabin. Seat upgrade purchases may not be refundable if you change the flights and the upgrade might not be honored if a schedule change or flight cancellation or IROPs forces you to rebook.
It is a non-stop, and it is for the AMS-PDX segment.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
It is a non-stop, and it is for the AMS-PDX segment.
Where is the upgrade offer being displayed? Do you have a screenshot? If it's part of modifying flights, it would be an upfare (pay fare difference and reticket) and you would get credit for upgrade purchase if you decided to change flights. If you purchase via seat selection, it's not an upfare and you lose any value from upgrade purchase should you make a voluntary flight change (part of the reason why seat selection FCM offers can be less than fare difference).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
Where is the upgrade offer being displayed? Do you have a screenshot? If it's part of modifying flights, it would be an upfare (pay fare difference and reticket) and you would get credit for upgrade purchase if you decided to change flights. If you purchase via seat selection, it's not an upfare and you lose any value from upgrade purchase should you make a voluntary flight change (part of the reason why seat selection FCM offers can be less than fare difference).
Interesting, the price is usually the same for seat selection as an upgrade, so I always assumed they were equivalent.

Last edited by wb2020; Feb 19, 2022 at 8:07 am Reason: Clarifying
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:59 am
Original Poster

No idea how to post screenshots, seems way complicated (picture hosting sites? 2022?). I think I figured out that this whole thing is a "feature enhancement" implemented by the Delta IT interface gurus.

The first offer (now lowered to 1361.37 Euro) shows on top of the list of flights when I click on the reservation. It shows "Upgrade to Premium Select" with a fancy picture, and next to it "Upgrade to Delta One", with an even fancier picture. Each one of these pictures has a "Select Seats" button next to it. It turns out the "Select Seats" both lead to the upgrade to premium select screen with the lower prices. Who knows who designed this interface, I wouldn't even know how to upgrade to D1 from this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by drminn
No idea how to post screenshots, seems way complicated (picture hosting sites? 2022?). I think I figured out that this whole thing is a "feature enhancement" implemented by the Delta IT interface gurus.

The first offer (now lowered to 1361.37 Euro) shows on top of the list of flights when I click on the reservation. It shows "Upgrade to Premium Select" with a fancy picture, and next to it "Upgrade to Delta One", with an even fancier picture. Each one of these pictures has a "Select Seats" button next to it. It turns out the "Select Seats" both lead to the upgrade to premium select screen with the lower prices. Who knows who designed this interface, I wouldn't even know how to upgrade to D1 from this.
These prices seem awfully high for just PS. What would be the fare difference or even the fare for a new PS ticket?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA

If it weren't for flyertalk (and you folks), I would have no idea at all that there was any difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.