FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2067556-using-regional-upgrades-delta-ruc-post-2-1-2022-a.html)

spongenotbob Dec 28, 2023 9:07 pm

Well, I just proved to myself that the RUC waitlist doesn’t actually work, even when applied correctly by a knowledgeable agent.

Had a segment on waitlist for a few days, and happened to manually check the same flight last night. Shock - it was showing available for RUC.

Since the waitlist upgrade had not cleared, I called in to have it manually applied. This is where it gets strange.

Initial agent response: “that inventory is only for new purchases, not for waitlist.” Huh? “You have to wait until the system processes it. That should happen in a few months.” What?

It took two levels of escalation and about 45 minutes on the phone but eventually we got to someone who was able to process the upgrades immediately and re-issue the entire trip in OL.

But it wasn’t easy.

Lesson: Keep checking always and never assume it will “just work.” It likely won’t.

kdavis527 Dec 29, 2023 9:34 am

Can someone explain to me why two flights are both selling "I" fare class, and are the same price, and one is available for RUC and the other isn't? Flights in question are SFO-ATL on 13Mar, DL327 "First available with Upgrade Certificate", DL916 not.

findark Dec 29, 2023 9:45 am

Originally Posted by kdavis527 (Post 35858594)
Can someone explain to me why two flights are both selling "I" fare class, and are the same price, and one is available for RUC and the other isn't? Flights in question are SFO-ATL on 13Mar, DL327 "First available with Upgrade Certificate", DL916 not.

RUC upgrades require Z space. 327 has Z space; 916 does not.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ff121ae21f.png

If your question is why 327 is pricing First in I class, it's because revenue Z fares in First also require L space or lower (depends on the fare), which is not available on that flight. Every First fare on SFO-ATL is published as a fare in Main plus $640 per direction (including US) and carries the same inventory requirement in Main.

You should see a lower revenue price (in Z) on 772 and also see RUC space.

Yellowjj Dec 29, 2023 9:47 am

Interesting to see how DL is restricting the lower fare buckets.

pulpfiction78 Dec 29, 2023 10:40 am

I think I learned something new.. I booked a route yesterday for 12/29-1/2 and all legs showed F upgrades available. (Note: I had to select the RUC choice first and wait about 30 mins before contacting support)

SEA-SLC-ABQ-SLC-SEA

ABQ-SLC-SEA on 1/2 cleared immediately.

SEA-SLC-ABQ on 12/29: SLC-ABQ had already cleared into F automatically without RUC - I assume from my Diamond status? SEA-SLC still showed F upgrade available (for both SEA-SLC and SEA-SLC-ABQ), but Agent said it was unavailable. So, for now I am on the upgrade list. I decided I didn't really care to use 2x RUC even if it should automatically work and take my chances on the list. No idea why this was showing unavailable for Agent. $420 or so per seat currently for monetization upgrade.

What is maybe obvious that I didn't know - I have a GUC that is expiring next month so I figured I'd use that mixed with RUC (as those expire in 12 months). You cannot mix GUC and RUC unless you split up the itinerary. How annoying..

allseas1586 Dec 29, 2023 4:46 pm

I was getting help from an agent because i had issues applying the RUC online. One leg booked into OL and the other OV. What’s OV?

When do the RUC’s get pulled from my account? Just curious if they did it all correctly as the agent seemed very unsure and kept putting me on hold and then asking me to refresh online.

GagaPilot Dec 29, 2023 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by allseas1586 (Post 35859706)
I was getting help from an agent because i had issues applying the RUC online. One leg booked into OL and the other OV. What’s OV?

When do the RUC’s get pulled from my account? Just curious if they did it all correctly as the agent seemed very unsure and kept putting me on hold and then asking me to refresh online.

If the RUCs were applied online via the self-service option, they should get pulled/closed instantly. No ticket reissue is normally required with this method.

If the RUCs are applied with an agent’s help, they generally will not be pulled/closed until the ticket is reissued. The ticket will need to be reissued with this method at check in time (it will not auto reissue beforehand). Make sure and allow time beginning 24 hours prior to departure to call Delta to get this done. You used to be able to have this done in advance, but agents are less willing to do this anymore. There is some discrepancy as to what the official policy is on this.

Keep a close eye on your reservation. Until the ticket is reissued, any schedule changes could cause you to lose the upgrade since you were rebooked into OL and OV and your ticket likely still shows your original main cabin class.

A 3rd (and least likely) possibility is that the ticket was reissued already to reflect OL/OV. If that’s the case, sounds like the agent forgot to pull the RUC. Again not likely, but you never know :)

findark Dec 30, 2023 9:03 am

Originally Posted by allseas1586 (Post 35859706)

OV is last-seat upgrade availability for applying a GUC to First.

Agent application is a completely manual process, so it sounds like an agent placed you in the wrong class, perhaps because OL was not available.

demkr Jan 1, 2024 8:44 am

As of a couple of days ago, there's no option at checkout to apply RUCs. I have two left but they don't show when I check out. Known issue?

sydneyracquelle Jan 1, 2024 9:10 am

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 35865933)
As of a couple of days ago, there's no option at checkout to apply RUCs. I have two left but they don't show when I check out. Known issue?

Are you logged in as you? Sometimes I accidentally login as one of my kids who has no status.

ryanm Jan 1, 2024 9:52 am

I applied two RUCs for my partner and me online--for DL 624, MEX-JFK, on Jan. 5--but a phone agent later told me they weren't in the system so she went in and did it manually (to waitlist). She also made sure to uncheck the request for complimentary medallion UG to first. Is this right/advisable? fwiw there seem to be 11 UGs available, so I'm also wondering if we might get the UGs without wasting the RUCs.

Possibly related: almost every time I check in for a Mexico flight with my partner--regardless of whether a RUC is involved--something in the system unchecks the complimentary medallion UG request. I then have to call in, get un-checked in, and the agent has me re check in to get back on the UG list. Does this happen to others?

Xeno Jan 1, 2024 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 35858626)

If your question is why 327 is pricing First in I class, it's because revenue Z fares in First also require L space or lower (depends on the fare), which is not available on that flight. Every First fare on SFO-ATL is published as a fare in Main plus $640 per direction (including US) and carries the same inventory requirement in Main.

I have today talked to DL DM agent and used EF to confirm Z for a simple domestic flight.
DL agent + EF seem to agree (both available and not available) whereas the DL web specifically shows FC available on all four segments when using an upgrade certificate.
I was inclined to change flights on this trip and tried to use data from DL web about a separate run to Bahamas, so how often does the DL web get this wrong?
And is Z always a reliable marker? A Google search turned up a Reddit post claiming something like Z3 but only 1 seat to actually upgrade.

findark Jan 1, 2024 7:28 pm

The Delta website is frequently wrong about RUC space for connecting itineraries.

I believe the requirement is Z space on an unmarried per-segment basis. However, the entire reason I fly Delta is to avoid making domestic connections so I don't have a lot of personal experience. OL = Z is very reliable for nonstop flights.

golfr Jan 4, 2024 9:25 pm

If you cancel a flight which you had RUC applied then get the RUC re-opened, it will not show as available when you try to book another flight. You will have to call in and ask the agent to apply it manually by providing the cert #.

I have a day trip coming up (JFK-LAX) and was able to successfully book two one ways with 2 RUCs expiring end of this month.

kobyjones21 Jan 5, 2024 8:00 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 35858626)

Can you then set alerts for Z space in EF for RUC space? Does it work for GUC too?