FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2067556-using-regional-upgrades-delta-ruc-post-2-1-2022-a.html)

tardyturtle Dec 9, 2023 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by cincyflyer513 (Post 35809073)
I apologize for the newbie question, but this is my first time attempting to use the new RUC redemption process.

So, I search for flights and see the "First available with upgrade certificate" on one. I choose Main. On the next screen where I fill out passenger information, I don't see any way to select that I want to use the RUC. (Going to "Use eCredits" shows that the RUC exists but no way to select it.) Do I have to go through "Complete Purchase" first and then apply the RUC?

I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks in advance.

Are you logged in to Delta.com? There should be a box on one of the screens to apply the RUC. If not, you can always call in to apply.

diburning Dec 10, 2023 12:30 am

Originally Posted by cincyflyer513 (Post 35809073)
I apologize for the newbie question, but this is my first time attempting to use the new RUC redemption process.

So, I search for flights and see the "First available with upgrade certificate" on one. I choose Main. On the next screen where I fill out passenger information, I don't see any way to select that I want to use the RUC. (Going to "Use eCredits" shows that the RUC exists but no way to select it.) Do I have to go through "Complete Purchase" first and then apply the RUC?

I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks in advance.

It depends on which checkout interface the website serves you. Sometimes it serves you the old one which doesn't have the option to apply a RUC. Sometimes it serves you the new one which does. Sometimes it serves you the new interface, but still without the ability to apply a RUC. I haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it.

In all cases, you can also just call to waitlist the RUC. If seleting the RUC on the website works, then it should clear immediately if theres space. Waitlisiting at booking is more iffy. It will tell you that you are waitlisted, but unless you have the telltale signs of a successful waitlist (extra seat maps), you will have to call in to have it done properly.

sethb Dec 10, 2023 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 35810203)
It depends on which checkout interface the website serves you. Sometimes it serves you the old one which doesn't have the option to apply a RUC. Sometimes it serves you the new one which does. Sometimes it serves you the new interface, but still without the ability to apply a RUC. I haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it.

In all cases, you can also just call to waitlist the RUC. If seleting the RUC on the website works, then it should clear immediately if theres space. Waitlisiting at booking is more iffy. It will tell you that you are waitlisted, but unless you have the telltale signs of a successful waitlist (extra seat maps), you will have to call in to have it done properly.

If the website says the flight has F available with an upgrade cert, calling to apply the RUC should clear immediately.

Yellowjj Dec 11, 2023 12:08 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 35812436)
If the website says the flight has F available with an upgrade cert, calling to apply the RUC should clear immediately.

Don't agents need to still re-issue the ticket when calling in (despite available space)?

GagaPilot Dec 11, 2023 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 35812524)
Don't agents need to still re-issue the ticket when calling in (despite available space)?

New policy is that agents are no longer allowed to re-issue the ticket when an RUC/GUC clears until T-24 before departure. This means that if there are any schedule changes the UG is subject to having to re-clear if there is no inventory available at the time. It's an extremely customer unfriendly policy that allows your UG to be lost and gives DL a chance to sell the F seat. You can occasionally get an old-school agent who will reissue because they understand just how bad of a policy this is. But most newer agents simply won't do it because they are supposedly risking discipline for doing so.

So now the best odds for using an RUC/GUC is to find availability around 1-2 months prior to departure when schedule changes aren't as likely. Any further out and the schedule changes will occur. Any closer in and availability isn't likely there.

YMMV.

Yellowjj Dec 11, 2023 9:52 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 35812581)
New policy is that agents are no longer allowed to re-issue the ticket when an RUC/GUC clears until T-24 before departure.

That's my concern, as I've seen that mentioned a lot in the last few weeks. So even if space is showing immediately available online; they still will not clear you and let you go in the queue.

GagaPilot Dec 11, 2023 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 35813667)
That's my concern, as I've seen that mentioned a lot in the last few weeks. So even if space is showing immediately available online; they still will not clear you and let you go in the queue.

Exactly. If an agent applies the RUC and it clears, it gives you a seat in F but your ticket is still for a Y seat. Any schedule changes and the computer is very likely to bump you back to a Y seat because it sees that as your purchased fare class.

When checkin fails, the agent is allowed to then reissue the ticket to the proper class so that everything matches. Until then it’s a mismatch and liable to switch back and is essentially not confirmed.

If the UG is applied via the online self service option on the website the ticket does not need to be reissued (it just auto revalidates) but still poses the issue where the system can move one back to Y in the event of changes.

findark Dec 11, 2023 10:24 am

Just to be clear, the computer will keep you in OL (in positive space) in the event of a schedule change.

The problem is that the humans often don't do this, if you need to call and request a different rebooking than what the computer did automatically. It's a human issue, not a system issue.

cincyflyer513 Dec 11, 2023 10:49 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 35810203)

Thanks, I bet that's what's happening. The checkout process doesn't show me any option to apply the RUC. I guess I'll just call.

rylan Dec 11, 2023 11:24 am

New policy is that agents are no longer allowed to re-issue the ticket when an RUC/GUC clears until T-24 before departure... You can occasionally get an old-school agent who will reissue because they understand just how bad of a policy this is. But most newer agents simply won't do it because they are supposedly risking discipline for doing so.
YMMV.

Where did you hear/read this is official policy? My experience states otherwise... and in fact I just used the sketchy text/chat function with whatever outsourced agent was on the other end and had them apply a RUC for an upcoming flight that had Z open up. I provided the cert info and didn't even have to ask if they would reissue. They did it immediately.

aacar Dec 11, 2023 11:45 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 35813947)
Where did you hear/read this is official policy? My experience states otherwise... and in fact I just used the sketchy text/chat function with whatever outsourced agent was on the other end and had them apply a RUC for an upcoming flight that had Z open up. I provided the cert info and didn't even have to ask if they would reissue. They did it immediately.

+1, I had a similar experience just last week. Not sure why some posters claim there is such an policy based on what some phone reps might have said.

diburning Dec 11, 2023 4:11 pm

New policy is that agents are no longer allowed to re-issue the ticket when an RUC/GUC clears until T-24 before departure. This means that if there are any schedule changes the UG is subject to having to re-clear if there is no inventory available at the time. It's an extremely customer unfriendly policy that allows your UG to be lost and gives DL a chance to sell the F seat. You can occasionally get an old-school agent who will reissue because they understand just how bad of a policy this is. But most newer agents simply won't do it because they are supposedly risking discipline for doing so.

So now the best odds for using an RUC/GUC is to find availability around 1-2 months prior to departure when schedule changes aren't as likely. Any further out and the schedule changes will occur. Any closer in and availability isn't likely there.

YMMV.

If this is the policy, then those who are able to apply the RUC online and have it clear immediately are circumventing this policy.

RealHJ Dec 11, 2023 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by aacar (Post 35814012)
+1, I had a similar experience just last week. Not sure why some posters claim there is such an policy based on what some phone reps might have said.

Different agents will do different things. 10 agents may not apply the cert properly and tell you to go and pound sand. 11th agent might just reticket you in F (or some other full fare class) even when cert space is not available. It's all a matter of luck. As always with Delta, the only thing consistent is total lack of consistency.

GagaPilot Dec 11, 2023 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 35813947)

MN based phone rep quoted me the new policy from her Knowledge Management guide. She was emphatic about how absurd a policy it was and that effective September 1st, any agent reissuing a ticket prior to T-24 would be disciplined. This was late August and she reissued for me, saying she intended to reissue as many as she could before the end of the month. She was definitely a seasoned agent and I trusted her.

In late September I spent 2 weeks calling almost daily to get a ticket reissued and no dice at all. Every agent reiterated the new policy. Have not used an RUC via phone agent since.

Originally Posted by aacar (Post 35814012)

If you can get an agent to reissue, consider yourself lucky.

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 35814771)
If this is the policy, then those who are able to apply the RUC online and have it clear immediately are circumventing this policy.

Not necessarily. RUCs applied online are not subject to ticket reissue. They are just revalidated when checkin time comes. They still have the underlying threat of schedule changes booting you out of F and back to Y if no RUC space is available.

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 35814864)
Different agents will do different things. 10 agents may not apply the cert properly and tell you to go and pound sand. 11th agent might just reticket you in F (or some other full fare class) even when cert space is not available. It's all a matter of luck. As always with Delta, the only thing consistent is total lack of consistency.

100% agree.

GagaPilot Dec 11, 2023 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 35813774)
Just to be clear, the computer will keep you in OL (in positive space) in the event of a schedule change.

The problem is that the humans often don't do this, if you need to call and request a different rebooking than what the computer did automatically. It's a human issue, not a system issue.

Completely believe it’s commonly a human issue. However there are several datapoints on FT and Reddit that the computer will not always keep you in OL during schedule changes if your ticket doesn’t reflect it. If OL does not exist on the new flight, the computer is likely to boot you back to Y (or whatever your original Y class was that is).