FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2067556-using-regional-upgrades-delta-ruc-post-2-1-2022-a.html)

spongenotbob Dec 20, 2023 3:15 pm

Another new feature: There seems to be a bug in the new automated system that CSR's use to apply RUC's to existing reservations on the backend. When I called to apply RUCs to both legs of a trip (outbound and return), 2 flights each way, the system pulled THREE RUCs, instead of two.

It just happens that there was upgrade space on 3/4 flights also.... which makes me think the system is trying to pull one RUC per flight....

I caught it while I was still on the phone and after 30 minutes SkyMiles was able to re-open the extra RUC that was pulled. There was no explanation other than "it's an automated system".

Incredible how problematic every single part of the RUC adventure is.

sydneyracquelle Dec 20, 2023 6:34 pm

I am looking at possibly selecting 4 RUCs for my PM CB. Based in ATL can these be used (of course space permitting) for any Caribbean destination? What are the longest RUC-eligible flights other than Hawaii/Alaska from ATL?

GagaPilot Dec 20, 2023 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 35833989)
I just tried to request online while booking. Unfortunately there were two of us and it looks like there was only 1 seat available (D1 so can't tell by inventory... but it was displaying the Upgrade available using Cert message). I did receive the standard e-mail shortly after about being waitlisted

However, to be safe, I called in and the Agent, who sounded very knowledgeable, told me I wasn't waitlisted and the system didn't try to pull/link any of my RUCs, so she went ahead and did it manually. (I can now see the two seat maps.)

The online functionality continues to be a mystery to me.

I have experienced the same issue. Anytime the online application did not result in clearing immediately, the waitlisting feature never worked. Always had to call in and have an agent manually waitlist, despite receiving the auto waitlist email. The system is broken and DL has yet to fix it.

RealHJ Dec 20, 2023 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 35838819)
I have experienced the same issue. Anytime the online application did not result in clearing immediately, the waitlisting feature never worked. Always had to call in and have an agent manually waitlist, despite receiving the auto waitlist email. The system is broken and DL has yet to fix it.

I am pretty sure the system is working exactly the way DL wants it to work.

metalblaze Dec 21, 2023 9:02 am

Forgive me if this a redundant question for this thread: Can one apply RUCs for AeroMexico flights? I am looking for a JFK-MEX trip next year either on DL or AM metal (either way, will be DL marketed). Will I be able to use RUCs or have to use GUCs since this is an international flight?

DLHubber Dec 21, 2023 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze (Post 35839861)
Forgive me if this a redundant question for this thread: Can one apply RUCs for AeroMexico flights? I am looking for a JFK-MEX trip next year either on DL or AM metal (either way, will be DL marketed). Will I be able to use RUCs or have to use GUCs since this is an international flight?

Yes, RUCs are valid on both DL and AM.

metalblaze Dec 21, 2023 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze (Post 35839861)

Originally Posted by DLHubber (Post 35840714)
Yes, RUCs are valid on both DL and AM.

What fare class do I need to look for in ExpertFlyer? My understand is: “O” fare class for AM metal and “Z” for DL metal. Am I correct?

ijgordon Dec 22, 2023 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 35838575)
I am looking at possibly selecting 4 RUCs for my PM CB. Based in ATL can these be used (of course space permitting) for any Caribbean destination? What are the longest RUC-eligible flights other than Hawaii/Alaska from ATL?

I think it’s any international flight that is NOT DeltaOne.

indufan Dec 22, 2023 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 35843124)
I think it’s any international flight that is NOT DeltaOne.

RUCs may be used on domestic flights as well as Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Central America, and (at least in theory) northern South America.

secretalcoholic Dec 23, 2023 4:38 am

Used the online RUC function for YYZ-DTW-SEA one-way and it seemed like it applied 2 RUCs to the PNR?

I thought if its one way its considered one RUC for the entire trip.

spongenotbob Dec 23, 2023 8:56 am

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic (Post 35844593)
Used the online RUC function for YYZ-DTW-SEA one-way and it seemed like it applied 2 RUCs to the PNR?

I thought if its one way its considered one RUC for the entire trip.

Call them. I think this is a new bug from their superb new outsourced IT department.

ND76 Dec 23, 2023 8:15 pm

I needed to use my last 2 RUCs by January 31. I booked a cheap coach ticket CLE-DTW-SEA on the westbound, and SMF-ATL-CLE on the eastbound (I decided to make a trip out of it and take a roomette on Amtrak's Coast Starlight to go between Seattle and Sacramento. I used the RUC feature on delta.com for both trips. The system booked me into F for both segments on the westbound. However, despite delta.com indicating that all I needed was a RUC to get upgraded on both legs of the eastbound, I only got a confirmed F seat on the SMF-ATL. I got waitlisted on ATL-CLE, and Delta now wants either a GUC or $369.80 to upgrade to F. I got an e-mail from Delta, which stated the following

we have received your request to use a Regional Upgrade Certificate. Currently, there is no inventory to process your request. We will continue to monitor as more seats may become available up to the day of your flight departure. If your request clears, we will automatically process your upgrade and email you.

At this time, no additional action is required from you to process this request. Thank you for being a loyal Member. We can’t wait to see you onboard.

The seat map on this particular flight showed 15 empties in F when I booked the ticket, which was over two weeks ago. There are still 15 empties in F on the seat map. I'll probably get the upgrade, but this does show a trust problem with using delta.com to book an RUC upgrade to a two-plane one way itinerary.

GagaPilot Dec 23, 2023 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ND76 (Post 35846090)
I needed to use my last 2 RUCs by January 31. I booked a cheap coach ticket CLE-DTW-SEA on the westbound, and SMF-ATL-CLE on the eastbound (I decided to make a trip out of it and take a roomette on Amtrak's Coast Starlight to go between Seattle and Sacramento. I used the RUC feature on delta.com for both trips. The system booked me into F for both segments on the westbound. However, despite delta.com indicating that all I needed was a RUC to get upgraded on both legs of the eastbound, I only got a confirmed F seat on the SMF-ATL. I got waitlisted on ATL-CLE, and Delta now wants either a GUC or $369.80 to upgrade to F. I got an e-mail from Delta, which stated the following

we have received your request to use a Regional Upgrade Certificate. Currently, there is no inventory to process your request. We will continue to monitor as more seats may become available up to the day of your flight departure. If your request clears, we will automatically process your upgrade and email you.

At this time, no additional action is required from you to process this request. Thank you for being a loyal Member. We can’t wait to see you onboard.

The seat map on this particular flight showed 15 empties in F when I booked the ticket, which was over two weeks ago. There are still 15 empties in F on the seat map. I'll probably get the upgrade, but this does show a trust problem with using delta.com to book an RUC upgrade to a two-plane one way itinerary.

The last time I used the online system to book a flight with RUCs that involved a connection the same thing happened. One segment did not clear and was never even waitlisted properly. Basically the system can’t be trusted. And it immediately closes an RUC when you use it as well, creating a headache to get the cert reopened if you have to cancel.

findark Dec 24, 2023 8:51 am

The website display of "Upgrade Available" for connections is unfortunately not reliable.

spongenotbob Dec 24, 2023 9:12 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 35846925)
The website display of "Upgrade Available" for connections is unfortunately not reliable.

Suppose you go to the grocery store and pick up a Premium Bag of Dog Food that’s labeled $8.99 and then at check out it rings up for $44.99. You protest to the manager and the manager tells you “oh those tags are unfortunately not reliable”. Do you just lower your head and agree to pay the $49.99?

Got my point? It’s false advertising and most likely illegal. They are very well aware of this issue - several CSR’s have told me they’ve heard about it before from other customers.