Community
Wiki Posts
Search

103 Diversions from ATL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by njf1003
A Piedmont 737 did the same thing in Augusta, GA once.
https://www.augustachronicle.com/sto...t/14274970007/
And Delta itself has landed at Frankfort, KY thinking it was Lexington:
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/07...2213552715200/
Old Feb 1, 2022, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Herb687
And Delta itself has landed at Frankfort, KY thinking it was Lexington:
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/07...2213552715200/
Those airports aren't so close.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:17 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by mersk862
The fact that it was international has absolutely nothing to do with the experience of pilots. It's a 737 flight - any pilot that flies a 737 can bid on it. In fact, you could be a first day in 737 First Officer and end up flying that route - it all depends on bids, if you were called off reserve, etc. It also depends on how the rotation was built - a BZE leg might just be an overnight in an otherwise domestic trip.

The idea that a flight that is international would have more experience pilots is absolute nonsense.
When the pilot made his statements, he said he had never seen anything like this in his 28 years of flying if that helps this convo.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I was part of this fun on Friday (diverted to CLT)

While this is out of DL's control, their automated processes failed spectacularly. No one with a brain would think 2-3 agents could handle all the people from the diversions with rebooking, but they stand in line anyway.

My strategy was to get away from the madness and to a hotel immediately and make my plan. No way to rebook via website, app, of course phone waits exceeded 6 hours, but I nocited the messaging option, so I messaged them exactly what I needed, went to bed after an 18 hour day, and hoped that when I woke up there would be some sort of response or the automated rebooking system would have accomodated me. Guess what? You guessed it, nothing worked. In fact, DL's systems thought I was in ATL when my flight never made it.

Bad day for everyone involved but the answer would be technology, and DL failed in this regard.

Oh, and the fact that two different stations clearly did not have a handle on deicing does not give me a warm and fuzzy.
I was also part of the fun.......flying JAC to BHM (connecting in ATL). We were diverted to HSV, sat on the ground for a while, then took off again to ATL, only to be diverted back again, sitting on the ground for another 3 hours.....we boarded in JAC at 12:25 and didn't get off the plane until 11:45 CST. Crew timed out and could not rent a car so wound up spending the night in HSV......next morning was a disaster where they kept delaying our outbound so I just got an UBER back to BHM to get my car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.