Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Called my Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A lot of people don't answer calls from numbers they don't know. It can also be tough to grab for a phone quickly if you're walking in an airport with luggage.
I;m sure the GA had considered the possibility that the passenger might not answer but probably decided it was still better than sending a singing telegram.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I;m sure the GA had considered the possibility that the passenger might not answer but probably decided it was still better than sending a singing telegram.
Yes, no risk of being shot. (Clue the movie)
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Had a DL phone agent call me back after we were disconnected today...first for any airline (or any customer service line, reallly).
I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago with Customer service, I was worried at the time with the hour plus waits but needed several refunds for canceled flights over the holidays.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Slightly OT.

Several years ago I arrived gate at about T-25. I have a "friend" in tow who had stopped off at the smoking lounge as we arrived.

They were calling all pax to board and I went on in. As soon as I scanned my BP I realized that my friend might not make it. I started to turn around and tell the GA I needed to fetch him. The GA said do not worry, we will check out the smoking lounge before we close the flight.

They did, and he made it minutes before they closed the doors.

I think the PA system is near worthless, way too much noise. Text messaging would likely be the most effective.
To: Passenger's Number
Time: 21:30
Message: Hello! This is Example Carrier! We are entering Final Boarding for Flight XYZ to ABC City, DE, at Gate A123. Are you joining us onboard today? Respond with:
(1) Yes, within 5 min of the gate.
(2) Yes, but I'm in the loo. See you in 10 min.
(3) No, I'm in the loo, and its an absolute tragedy at the moment.
(STOP) To stop receiving any messages from Example Carrier.
Zorak and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
To: Passenger's Number
Time: 21:30
Message: Hello! This is Example Carrier! We are entering Final Boarding for Flight XYZ to ABC City, DE, at Gate A123. Are you joining us onboard today? Respond with:
(1) Yes, within 5 min of the gate.
(2) Yes, but I'm in the loo. See you in 10 min.
(3) No, I'm in the loo, and its an absolute tragedy at the moment.
(STOP) To stop receiving any messages from Example Carrier.
As embarrassed as I am to admit but I was traveling with a colleague who had to resort to number 3. I decided to deplane as it was my colleague and the gate agent told me not to worry as they were about to announce a mechanical delay. Lo and behold a hour later my colleague emerged and was visibly embarrassed. Half of the flight was rebooked over to Lufthansa and his upgrade certificate cleared. Needless to say he didn’t have a bite or drink the entire way to Frankfurt from San Francisco.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
I can see how some folk might find it useful to get a call or text to remind them of the departing time for their flight and how they need to be at the gate. I, for one, feel capable of knowing when my flight departs and to make it to the gate on time without the outreach.

I can also see how the innocuous reminder may seem attractive so that you may have chance to let them know you are just around the corner or tied in security and that you'll be right there. Over time, I'm sure it'll be enhanced into the automated call or text that you'll be asked to confirm that you are still planning on making your flight and if you don't they'll go ahead and release your seat.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
A lot of people don't answer calls from numbers they don't know. It can also be tough to grab for a phone quickly if you're walking in an airport with luggage.
True, though the one time it happened to me, it showed up at "United Airlines" on the caller id on my cell phone - and since I knew I was flying United, I did answer the call.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
It's also a no-brainer for airlines to increasingly use text for changes/notifications/etc... as it provides good legal cover if there is ever a squabble over IRROPS/ID/gate change etc...for both parties. It is time stamped, and handy as more and more pax carry smartphones as dinosaurs stop travelling.
Right, so, how exactly does that work for legal? The phone number provided at booking is required to be mobile, accept text messages, and accept the incoming charges? And one has a legal obligation to monitor the incoming text messages, let alone even have the phone on?

Seems like a clear yes-brainer.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by cre95
I can see how some folk might find it useful to get a call or text to remind them of the departing time for their flight and how they need to be at the gate. I, for one, feel capable of knowing when my flight departs and to make it to the gate on time without the outreach.

I can also see how the innocuous reminder may seem attractive so that you may have chance to let them know you are just around the corner or tied in security and that you'll be right there. Over time, I'm sure it'll be enhanced into the automated call or text that you'll be asked to confirm that you are still planning on making your flight and if you don't they'll go ahead and release your seat.
I think you're missing the point of these calls. I've gotten a few of these and it was always when they had boarding completed early and were hoping to push back before the regular door closing time. they're not just doing these in the general case as a friendly reminder. I know it's popular around here to drag gate agents as lazy oafs but they are generally pretty busy during boarding.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chrisny2
True, though the one time it happened to me, it showed up at "United Airlines" on the caller id on my cell phone - and since I knew I was flying United, I did answer the call.
I almost didn't answer a call last month. It came up as Continental Airlines. It was UA bag office at AUS calling to say my bags arrived. Was sure it was SPAM call then the💡 went off.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Even though I’m a DM/MMer, Delta never calls me… for anything. They never send a Porsche, even on super-tight ATL A>F connections, so I get to board drenched in sweat. Delta hates me.

I’m basically the DL equivalent of Snufaluppagus.

Can someone please call me now? I need to feel special.
BamaGirl and defrosted like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Even though I’m a DM/MMer, Delta never calls me… for anything. They never send a Porsche, even on super-tight ATL A>F connections, so I get to board drenched in sweat. Delta hates me.

I’m basically the DL equivalent of Snufaluppagus.

Can someone please call me now? I need to feel special.
The one and only time the gate agent will probably call you is on a hidden city ticket when you are already at home and you never had any intention of taking the connecting flight.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I had something similar happen to me on Delta at LGA awhile back. I will still in the lounge, getting ready to head to the gate, when the front desk paged me. When I approached them, they said everyone else had boarded my flight and I was the last passenger. I promptly headed down to the gate, jumped on, and we took off five minutes early.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I had something similar happen to me on Delta at LGA awhile back. I will still in the lounge, getting ready to head to the gate, when the front desk paged me. When I approached them, they said everyone else had boarded my flight and I was the last passenger. I promptly headed down to the gate, jumped on, and we took off five minutes early.
This suggests that DL is able to track when a passenger is in a SC.

It reminds me a bit of the PMNW period when connecting (but not originating passengers, who had presumably checked in at the airport in question) were asked to confirm their seats with a WC agent when entering. Sometimes folks would be called to the desk by name during IROPs for rebooking alternatives. Even earlier, airline lounges had a list on a clipboard where one would sign in (name and flight number, plus number of guests IIRC) after showing entry credentials. I think we also were asked to sign a list in the small unstaffed DL lounges.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
It's also a no-brainer for airlines to increasingly use text for changes/notifications/etc... as it provides good legal cover if there is ever a squabble over IRROPS/ID/gate change etc...for both parties. It is time stamped, and handy as more and more pax carry smartphones as dinosaurs stop travelling.
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Right, so, how exactly does that work for legal? The phone number provided at booking is required to be mobile, accept text messages, and accept the incoming charges? And one has a legal obligation to monitor the incoming text messages, let alone even have the phone on?

Seems like a clear yes-brainer.
I think it's great as a customer service gesture, but in terms of legal protection? If you knew how SMS worked, you'd laugh at that idea.

I was going to give you my own explanation, but this one sentence from Wikipedia sums it up quite well. "SMS message delivery is not guaranteed, and many implementations provide no mechanism through which a sender can determine whether an SMS message has been delivered in a timely manner."

Yep. When I see a number I don't recognize, and doesn't instantly pop up a business name, I click "Screen Call" on my Pixel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.