Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Called my Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Gate Agent Called my Cell Phone

This morning I was flying LAX-DFW. I normally spend as much time as possible in the SC to minimize the amount of time I have to spend in the terminal and on the aircraft.

I walked up to the empty gate area at around T-23 (which is actually a bit early for me) and scanned my boarding pass. The GA said, “Are you...,” then saw my name appear on the screen. Her eyes lit up and said, “Oh, you are! I was just calling you!” I assumed she meant that she was paging me which routinely happens and laughed, but I checked my cell phone shortly afterward and I had a missed call from a local number. I felt it vibrating while this was occurring, so I’m sure it was a call from the GA.

Quite frankly I am beyond impressed by this service. The flight was fairly empty, but I was in OU which I suppose could have gone to someone else as a battlefield upgrade. There was a voucher printed out on the machine, but I didn’t have time to look at it.
BearX220, pbjag, Statman and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
United gate agents in Detroit do this CONSISTENTLY for no show passengers
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:41 pm

Have had this on DL flying out of SEA.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Had a DL phone agent call me back after we were disconnected today...first for any airline (or any customer service line, reallly).
AeRoSpaceman and FabCW like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
I think this could potentially work better than paging via PA systems, which (1) some people tune out, and (2) can be hard to hear unless the passenger is paying attention and in the right "zone" of speakers. It could be win-win, as the specific passenger(s) can receive the equally specific information intended for them (i.e. "hi, where are you?"), and the GA could learn the passenger's situation (i.e. "sorry, I'm dashing over from security/conformance, will be over in a minute").

In the future this could be formalized into an official texting system, or a pop-up chat and menu in an airline's app.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I called a sitting US senator once when he hadn't shown up at the airport 15 minutes before departure (small outstation) and we were fully boarded. I think his assistant answered the phone. "Nope he won't be making it today." "Perfect, thanks. We're closing it up."

I don't think Twitter was a thing back then, but I didn't want to end up on the wrong end of that one.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
This happened to me on DL in BNA right before COVID.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
SLC has done this everytime I've been not onboard at whatever cutoff.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I think this could potentially work better than paging via PA systems, which (1) some people tune out, and (2) can be hard to hear unless the passenger is paying attention and in the right "zone" of speakers. It could be win-win, as the specific passenger(s) can receive the equally specific information intended for them (i.e. "hi, where are you?"), and the GA could learn the passenger's situation (i.e. "sorry, I'm dashing over from security/conformance, will be over in a minute").

In the future this could be formalized into an official texting system, or a pop-up chat and menu in an airline's app.
It's also a no-brainer for airlines to increasingly use text for changes/notifications/etc... as it provides good legal cover if there is ever a squabble over IRROPS/ID/gate change etc...for both parties. It is time stamped, and handy as more and more pax carry smartphones as dinosaurs stop travelling.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
That's pretty impressive.

AA called me once on my cell phone too. I didn't recognize the DFW area number but picked up anyway. "Hello Mr Enviroian? Just wanted to let you know first class is checked in full".

Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I had a couple flights at the height of lockdowns that I couldn't cancel due to the 8 hour+ hold times. On one occasion, a gate agent from - of all places - PHL(!) called me and I let him know I wasn't making it, especially since I didn't take the outbound.

I was beyond impressed.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
I've had this twice: One was at SFO offering a reroute due to to a delayed first leg, and the second was at CDG when I was running late.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by ekozie
I had a couple flights at the height of lockdowns that I couldn't cancel due to the 8 hour+ hold times. On one occasion, a gate agent from - of all places - PHL(!) called me and I let him know I wasn't making it, especially since I didn't take the outbound.

I was beyond impressed.
It sounds like the GA had the power to cancel your itinerary for you, so you wouldn't be marked as no-show? I thought they'd be in the wrong view/menu for that.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A lot of people don't answer calls from numbers they don't know. It can also be tough to grab for a phone quickly if you're walking in an airport with luggage.
canadiancow and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Slightly OT.

Several years ago I arrived gate at about T-25. I have a "friend" in tow who had stopped off at the smoking lounge as we arrived.

They were calling all pax to board and I went on in. As soon as I scanned my BP I realized that my friend might not make it. I started to turn around and tell the GA I needed to fetch him. The GA said do not worry, we will check out the smoking lounge before we close the flight.

They did, and he made it minutes before they closed the doors.

I think the PA system is near worthless, way too much noise. Text messaging would likely be the most effective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.