Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Ever heard of the Social Security Death Index? These days almost everyone in the U.S. ends up listed in it eventually.

It lags by a few months, so miles might be spent to attend the funeral or for near-term travel, but if you book that trip to Wally World for next summer, you might find yourself either stranded at an airport or whipping out your credit card to pay last-minute fares.
-
Many readers might not know that there are close to seven thousand deaths reported each day in the United States. Many deaths "slip through the cracks" and do not end up on the Social Security Death Index.

Can you imagine the amount of labor involved if Delta were to check death records from the SSDI (that get reported) to Delta's frequent flier program?

The labor expense to Delta to hunt for deceased account holders would far exceed any savings in finding unreported deaths of account holders.

Even though there is no way to determine how many deceased persons are not included in the death index, both my parents and a brother died. Not one of them is in the SSDI.

Furthermore, several of my clients who died are not in the index. Therefore, I don't have a great deal of confidence in the SSDI.

Bottom line? I would not be concerned that Delta would make any meaningful discovery from the SSDI.
-
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Can't the surviving spouse simply book award tickets for herself and her family/friends without notifying Delta of the member's death? That's sure as hell what I would do.
Well, yes, but the deceased members widow that I helped get a million miles for had NO CLUE. None whatsoever. Sure, she knew he had "miles" and occasionally they got to go someplace for free but knew nothing of how many miles and what was their relative worth.
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
My guess is everyone is pretty happy that DL will protect our miles from such conduct by taking the position miles aren't our “property.”
Just all the same, I don't expect "protection" from Delta.

Originally Posted by HongKonger
It would be the inheritors who would be challenging it.

BTW, GO HOOSIERS
But again, I am not sure my inheritors would know enough about it to even give it a shot. I would sue their a$$ off but I would be dead.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The likelihood of someone suing me to seek to gain my Sky Miles account is rather low.

On the other hand, I believe the probability of my ultimate demise is rather high.
Amen.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I don't want to complain about it, but I do want to state that it is complete BS. The courts have a funny way of deciding what can be seized, attached or levied regardless of what DL says.
Yeah, but the courts still need some guidelines and the rules will be part of that. They COULD override it but they might not.

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
I heard that several FlyerTalkers have faked their own deaths to avoid transfer fees.
Where did you hear this?

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Presumably DL knows what they are doing.
I am as big of Delta cheerleader as there is here but even I don't think I would say this.
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer
What if a member is in coma for a long period of time?
What if a member has Alzheimer's disease?
Then they are alive...and whoever has access to the account can deal with it. Separate issue.

Originally Posted by justhere
Also is it really that big of a deal? As several people have posted, just make sure someone you want to use the miles has access to your account.
HELL YES, this is a big deal.

Originally Posted by Burj
Considering the amount of ill will such a move generates...is it really worth it for Delta to make this change?
NO. But, they are counting that it isn't that much ill will and it will slide under the table.
Originally Posted by DLroads
I wrote the ### and password to my family on a piece of paper.
I guess I better do this. But it is against my judgement.
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

Personally, I think the idea of confiscation of deceased customers' miles is beneath moral dignity.
-
Amen.
Prediction... sometime in the next 12 to 24 months, DL management will swing the "Miles expire/Miles don't expire" pendulum back to the "Miles expire" side (we've been back and forth on this pendulum several times over the years).
I thought that was the oddest move ever. We just read here about someone with 2,700 miles. Those add up. I could care less about a miles expire policy. I care a LOT about this one.
Many readers might not know that there are close to seven thousand deaths reported each day in the United States. Many deaths "slip through the cracks" and do not end up on the Social Security Death Index.

Can you imagine the amount of labor involved if Delta were to check death records from the SSDI (that get reported) to Delta's frequent flier program?

The labor expense to Delta to hunt for deceased account holders would far exceed any savings in finding unreported deaths of account holders.

Even though there is no way to determine how many deceased persons are not included in the death index, both my parents and a brother died. Not one of them is in the SSDI.

Furthermore, several of my clients who died are not in the index. Therefore, I don't have a great deal of confidence in the SSDI.

Bottom line? I would not be concerned that Delta would make any meaningful discovery from the SSDI.
-
I would rather not gamble on this proposition. Plus, computing is evolving quickly. I will probably check-in to my casket on Facebook.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
"Loyalty Programs Should Be Loyal" ... "Just Kidding!"
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

-
What is the conditional probability of both DL IT and Fed Gov IT working correctly simultaneously?

You're likely correct in your bottom line conclusion.

Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How so? If I have access to an account I can prevent the miles from expiring.
IIRC, back when miles expired, there were a limited number of ways to keep your account active:

Travel... dead won't be doing that

Charge something to a DL Amex... spouse might be able to keep the account open for a while, but I bet that Amex is better at finding out you're dead than DL would be.

Maybe some others...

You might be able to pull it off. But most folks would be that savvy.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
-
IIRC DL doesn't have my SS number, and there are other people in this country with the same name as mine. Even one (completely unrelated to us) with a wife with the same name, and her name is quite unusual.

So, the odds of a positive match to the SSDI are questionable.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:08 pm

Has anyone posted the "over/under" number of posts before a Delta Rep will be back to take/answer questions?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by indufan
HELL YES, this is a big deal.
Maybe I'm missing something but why is this a big deal? I can understand why it could be a big deal IF DL found out a member died but otherwise I'm just not seeing the issue.

If the miles didn't expire and you wanted someone to use them after you die, that person would have to know about the account to go get the miles. DL could ostensibly charge a transfer fee to move them into another account. To avoid that, don't inform DL of the death and make sure that that person has access to your account.

If the miles do expire, don't inform DL of the death and make sure that someone knows about and has access to your account.

The net result is the same. I've been doing this for 2+ years with a BA account and have had zero issues using the miles. I honestly don't think we are going to see a bunch of posts about how someone expired and so did their miles.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
IIRC, back when miles expired, there were a limited number of ways to keep your account active:

Travel... dead won't be doing that

Charge something to a DL Amex... spouse might be able to keep the account open for a while, but I bet that Amex is better at finding out you're dead than DL would be.

Maybe some others...

You might be able to pull it off. But most folks would be that savvy.
Look in some of the other forums for airlines that have expiring miles. There are many ways to keep them from expiring. Most of the time the simplest way is to either buy something from itunes or just use the miles. Any activity generally prevents them from expiring. Again, if you have access to the account it would be a very trivial matter to keep the account active.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:39 pm

Maybe I'm missing something but why is this a big deal? I can understand why it could be a big deal IF DL found out a member died but otherwise I'm just not seeing the issue.

If the miles do expire, don't inform DL of the death and make sure that someone knows about and has access to your account.
-
Okay! Let us say that we do as you state. After we select a flight, using the decedent's miles, what credit card will we use to pay the incidental charges for the award ticket?

The airlines do audit frequent flier accounts and activity.
-
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the miles didn't expire and you wanted someone to use them after you die, that person would have to know about the account to go get the miles. DL could ostensibly charge a transfer fee to move them into another account. To avoid that, don't inform DL of the death and make sure that that person has access to your account.

The net result is the same. I've been doing this for 2+ years with a BA account and have had zero issues using the miles. I honestly don't think we are going to see a bunch of posts about how someone expired and so did their miles.
I can hear my sister calling Delta now. "Well, my brother died and we want to go to Hawaii to drown our sorrows. How do we do that?" "Well, sorry, since you just told me he died you are screwed."

PLUS, it really SUCKS to tell your loved ones that they are going to have to lie their way through the SkyMiles. I wouldn't bat an eye at it but some people have more ethics than I do.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Has anyone posted the "over/under" number of posts before a Delta Rep will be back to take/answer questions?
What "over/under" number is associated with "no chance in hell"?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What "over/under" number is associated with "no chance in hell"?
Below zero. Of course, assuming they are going to stick with it, what is there to say?

My hope is that they are reading this and see it is full of holes, HORRIBLY customer unfriendly, and ripe for a legal challenge. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know what their chances of prevailing are but would ask Delta to consider is it worth it? Pathetic, in my opinion.

In the meantime, I guess I better be writing a document to my family with explicit instructions on what to do and not do. Sad that it comes to that, isn't it? Of course, if my day is next week, they might remember. If it is 25 years from now, they will probably probably forget and screw it up anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
PLUS, it really SUCKS to tell your loved ones that they are going to have to lie their way through the SkyMiles. I wouldn't bat an eye at it but some people have more ethics than I do.
+1 Any company policy that encourages the survivors of some of your most loyal customers to LIE to keep the benefit/reward that your customer EARNED through years of patronage is just dumb from a business prospective (I won't mention morals or ethics because...hey this is Delta/Skymiles we are talking about...)
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Are you going to come back and discuss this change with us?

Or is this another drive-by posting?
whats to discuss? It is what it is. Damned if they post and damned if they dont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.