Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2022 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jrl767
DL5647 DCA-BOS, Fri 25 Mar
  • earned PM, C+ award ticket purchased 21 Mar, SDCd 24 Mar
  • 1 of 9 for 1 seat, cleared at T-30
BP in iPhone wallet updated to show the new seat but still said “COMF+” and didn’t change color
My experience has been that the BP color never changes in-app for me with gate upgrades (though it does change in the iPhone "Wallet"
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/28 DL 2523 MCO-RDU A-319: PM as an L Fare: #1 of 10

Flight was sold out in F when I booked it 36 hours out. Might have gotten it otherwise.

Now 50.00% (8/16) on the year
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I bought an L bucket ticket ROC-LGA-CLE for next Tuesday 4/5. I got UG'd to F at the 120 hour windows for both segments.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So far, not great. Earned PM… 3/22 MSP-LAX-KOA (C+ right after booking) FC seats trickled away in the 5 days prior to departure but don’t get close. (Never offered for sale though) 3/29 return, same story. Also flew to KOA on the oldest 757 ever… IFE from 2002. :/
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
GM
3/22

MCI-SLC - Booked Y three hours prior, cleared to C+ at check-in, F at gate

SLC-SFO - Booked Y three hours prior, cleared to C+ at check-in, 17/30 for 2 F seats
3/23
SJC-SLC - Booked Y, 2/8 for 0 C+ seats, 22/38 for 0 F seats
SLC-PHL - Booked Y, cleared C+ at T+24, cleared to F at gate
Gertjaars and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Gold Medallion - 15 out of 17 upgrades have cleared this year
SJD-ATL Upgraded in-app to C+ 3 days before, Upgraded to First Class 1 day before in-app
ATL-JFK Upgraded in-app to C+ 3 days before, Upgraded to First Class at the gate

Patterns I'm seeing that worked for me:
- don't fly on Friday through Sunday unless its a super AM flight
- if flying on weekends, fly on non-heavy medallion routes
- avoid late/evening flights, too many PMs/DMs will SDC and push me down on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
PM on an X fare.

Applied a RUC to SLC-SEA-BOS for tomorrow (4/4) 6 days out, had previously only shown GUC availability but saw RUC space pop up and snagged it. SDCed just now to an earlier SLC-MSP-BOS and got the last F seat on each leg; app SDC worked as per policy w/a confirmed instrument upgrade and put me straight into F. Good thing too, because pretty much everything heading east from SLC is sold out tomorrow. Apologies to the 51 folks on the UG list SLC-MSP and 30 from MSP-BOS.

BOS-SLC 4/8: Cleared to F at the window and 8 seats still remain... for being a supposedly elite heavy route, I've had a lot of luck here recently as a plat on cheap fares.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum, IHG Diamond, AA Plat Pro
Earned PM with Reserve card

0/2 recently:
3/28: FLL - LGA, auto upgraded to Comfort+. After check in, 11&12 out of 38 for 2 First class seats
4/4: JGK - SEA, auto upgraded to Comfort+. After check in, 5&6 out of 31 for 4 Delta One seats. I had the middle and my companion had the window, and it looked like the person in the aisle had that last D1 upgrade, so after boarding was completed, I took the aisle seat.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:41 am

Earned GM
3/30

MSP-PIT - Booked V, cleared to C+ at T+72 with companion, 5/10 and 6/10 for 3 F seats

4/4
PIT-MSP- Booked T, Upgrade request not processed when I switched flights so we were shut out
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Earned DM (MM)
50 segments so far this year, about 90% upgrade rate. Always book lowest fare class.
Odds go way down if I book/change a flight within 4 days out.
Hardest upgrade to get is to/from my home base (CHA) to mothership (ATL)

Mrs BHammy - Grandfathered DM (MM)
37 segments so far, about 85% upgrade rate.

Interesting twist today: We are booked on the same flight: CHA-ATL-DFW (H fare class for these segments)
ATL-DFW - normally fills up in J pretty quickly. 2 days ago, 14 seats available when I got upgraded (T-3days)
Mrs BHammy (also DM, not earned) is sitting on the waitlist with 11 seats remaining.

It seems odd to me that she hasn't been upgraded yet, but I'm sure that DL algorithms know that segment is business heavy and they are holding out for sales vs upgrades....?
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Pretty crazy late night LGA-MCO flight tonight.

Two days ago 0 FC available
Yesterday 4 became available and upgrades offered a $250 a pop, didn't take it thinking I'd have a shot
End of yesterday prior to check in back to 0 available and one ways were $800 for that seat.
This morning after check-in saw 1 available and $1k for the ticket, shortly after back to 0 and around 9 hours prior to flight.

My return trip on a C+ Ticket was upgraded to FC shortly after booking but had around 8 seats open.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skislc
PM on an X fare.

Applied a RUC to SLC-SEA-BOS for tomorrow (4/4) 6 days out, had previously only shown GUC availability but saw RUC space pop up and snagged it. SDCed just now to an earlier SLC-MSP-BOS and got the last F seat on each leg; app SDC worked as per policy w/a confirmed instrument upgrade and put me straight into F. Good thing too, because pretty much everything heading east from SLC is sold out tomorrow. Apologies to the 51 folks on the UG list SLC-MSP and 30 from MSP-BOS.

BOS-SLC 4/8: Cleared to F at the window and 8 seats still remain... for being a supposedly elite heavy route, I've had a lot of luck here recently as a plat on cheap fares.
Ended up taking a $1,000 VDB off SLC-MSP to go on the nonstop SLC-BOS 8 hours later, and got the last F seat there as part of the deal. About 15 people were on the list, pretty light for a Monday I'd say.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:03 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Bad luck with all the recent inclement weather and cancellations/tons of people changing and being rebooked.

Gold Medallion
JFK-SJU Upgraded in-app to C+ 3 days before, Upgraded to First Class 24 hours before in-app
SJU-ATL Upgraded in-app to C+ 3 days before, Upgraded to first class at gate
ATL-SEA Upgraded to C+ at gate, 17/30 for 0F
SEA-JFK Upgraded to C+ 3 days before, 22/40 for 2F.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:04 pm

Silver Medallion on fairly cheap award ticket.

Tuesday of this week - Cancun to ATL, upgraded to First at 24-hour window.

Then last evening - ATL back to Cancun, upgraded again to First at 24-hour window.
matchbox20_is likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, OneWorld Sapphire, MarriotRewards Gold, HiltonHonnors Gold
Never upgraded as a Platinum flying out DFW to LAX?

Maybe it’s a route loaded with Diamonds but I’m routinely in the double digits on the the upgrade list. I figured it would be fair at least since AA dominates this airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.