FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2022 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063944-2022-upgrade-success-lack-thereof-thread.html)

MCO Flyer Jan 1, 2022 8:22 pm

2022 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) Thread

New year, new thread. Interesting to see what others upgrade success is this year with elite inflation from the status extension + 2021 Accelerator bumping lower level elites up in the ranks this year.

Tedgrrrr Jan 2, 2022 12:15 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 33862508)
New year, new thread. Interesting to see what others upgrade success is this year with elite inflation from the status extension + 2021 Accelerator bumping lower level elites up in the ranks this year.

Almost catastrophic start to the year - Earned DM 4 out of 31 on upgrade list flying from SAN to ATL on 1/1 - wife and I got the upgrade with an RUC, but still expected better. N fare.

Incidentally got upgraded 100% last year on this route with at least 5 or 6 times flying it - usually on X fares.

this time around there were 9+ F seats at T-48 but 2 x SAN to JFK were cancelled so they ate up a lot of the empty seats

MCO Flyer Jan 2, 2022 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 33862835)
Earned DM

Note that the 2021 Earned vs Unearned status upgrade tiebreaker doesn’t take effect until February 1st this year so it was not a factor in your position on the list yet.

Yellowjj Jan 2, 2022 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 33862835)

this time around there were 9+ F seats at T-48 but 2 x SAN to JFK were cancelled so they ate up a lot of the empty seats

Taking IRROPS into consideration; I don't understand why you would expect better or consider it catastrophic. Anyone flying since Christmas should have tapered expectations towards getting upgrades, with scores of flights being canceled and people needing to be re-accommodated.

skislc Jan 3, 2022 12:20 pm

DEN-SLC 1/2, earned PM on a U fare, with reserve card. 8/21 for 1 F, 2/11 for 2 C+, but passed on the middle to stick with the exit window.

rylan Jan 3, 2022 12:34 pm

Zero for two segments so far as earned DM.

Flight on 1/1 canceled and auto-rebooked to 1/2. Alternate flight later canceled and rebooked again.
Something like 7/23 for F and 3/15 for C+ on first segment - ended up in normal exit row. Second segment was 1/13 for F and cleared into C+ after agent fixed ticket from rebookings. Ended up in C+

ElmhurstNick Jan 3, 2022 12:45 pm

I'm going to have to cancel the trip, but both this coming Wednesday's early RDU-DTW 717 and Friday night's late ATL-RDU 321 cleared at their respective windows. Platinum, V fare.

MCO Flyer Jan 3, 2022 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by skislc (Post 33867378)
earned PM on a U fare, with reserve card.

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 33867427)
as earned DM.

Once again to clarify the earned vs extended status tiebreaker will not take effect until the new medallion year starts on February 1st.

devans999 Jan 3, 2022 1:37 pm

new diamond this year, already upgraded fll->atl and atl->dsm on thurs. would be surprised if I don't get upgraded at the window for the return next mon as both are showing lots of empty F and C+.

Daitheflu84 Jan 3, 2022 3:34 pm

Was UG'd on my first flight of the year today, ORD-BOS, at 5-day PM window with companion. Unfortunately we had to cancel the trip due to work-related issues. Our next trip is SEA-HNL-LIH and LIH-HNL-SEA Jan 21st-27th. The trans-pac segments are both on the A339 and D1 is looking wide open, at least 2.5 weeks out. Fingers crossed!

The ATL BATL Jan 3, 2022 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 33867485)
Once again to clarify the earned vs extended status tiebreaker will not take effect until the new medallion year starts on February 1st.

I may have missed it, but has Delta stated that somewhere? I see this below. I'm earned DM and managed to be #1 today on ATL-SFO. Normally I'm a few pegs down the ladder, so I thought it might be the Earned benefit. It stands to reason the benefit would be applied as of Jan 1, just as achieving status during a normal calendar year would.

Medallion Members who earned Status for the 2022 Medallion year by meeting the published qualifications in 2021 will have Complimentary Upgrade clearance priority over Medallion Members who received extended Status through the extensions announced on July 28th, 2021.

MCO Flyer Jan 3, 2022 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by The ATL BATL (Post 33868517)
I may have missed it, but has Delta stated that somewhere? I see this below. I'm earned DM and managed to be #1 today on ATL-SFO. Normally I'm a few pegs down the ladder, so I thought it might be the Earned benefit. It stands to reason the benefit would be applied as of Jan 1, just as achieving status during a normal calendar year would.

Medallion Members who earned Status for the 2022 Medallion year by meeting the published qualifications in 2021 will have Complimentary Upgrade clearance priority over Medallion Members who received extended Status through the extensions announced on July 28th, 2021.

It says that it will be in effect for the “2022 Medallion Year” which starts on February 1st, 2022 and runs through January 31st, 2023. Technically right now we are still in the “2021 Medallion Year” as it runs from February 1st, 2021 through January 31st, 2022.

The ATL BATL Jan 3, 2022 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 33868566)
It says that it will be in effect for the “2022 Medallion Year” which starts on February 1st, 2022 and runs through January 31st, 2023. Technically right now we are still in the “2021 Medallion Year” as it runs from February 1st, 2021 through January 31st, 2022.

Not sure that's conclusive. Applying that logic would mean that earning status during a normal year wouldn't yield upgrade priority until 2/1 of the following year, which we know is not the case.

Once 1/1 arrives, DL knows who is earned and who isn't, and it stands to reason that UG priority is determined at that point.

But who knows??

coke cans and winglets Jan 3, 2022 10:21 pm

First ones of the year and expected these upgrades to be flipped

1/3/22, DL5451, MOB-ATL, Q fare, cleared to Comfort+ at booking, 4/12 for First for 0 open
1/3/22, DL1566, ATL-JAX, Q fare, cleared to Comfort+ at booking, cleared to First at T-120

Tedgrrrr Jan 4, 2022 7:19 am

Cleared BOS-LGA-DCA at booking for next day flight; haven’t booked return but looks like a gaurs teed upgrade at booking with 9+ available on most flights (unless you want to fly mainline then the situation is bleak!)