Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Delta A321neo inaugural flight? When?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: diburning
FTers on DL's A321NEO Inaugural: DL1202, BOS-SFO, 20 May 2022

-ATOBTTR
-C922SW
-pmadden
-Repooc17
-diburning
Print Wikipost

First Delta A321neo inaugural flight? When?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Delta said the first flight will be in may out of Boston, anyone here got any clue as to which date/flight it might end up being?
pmadden likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
My guess would be BOS-LAX, BOS-SFO, BOS-PDX and/or BOS-SEA for the first neos.
Originally Posted by itripreport
Delta said the first flight will be in may out of Boston, anyone here got any clue as to which date/flight it might end up being?
See above by DLASFlyer. Delta will deploy the A321neo flight from BOS to LAX, SFO, PDX and SEA.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
See above by DLASFlyer. Delta will deploy the A321neo flight from BOS to LAX, SFO, PDX and SEA.
That would be a shame for BOS-LAX to swap to A321neo, no more D1 on the route. Nothing is confirmed thankfully.

Definitely looking forward to the new first on the neo, but if it is displacing D1 I won't be happy.
N830MH and pmadden like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
May.

https://news.delta.com/delta-brings-...icient-fleet-0
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Yeah, hence my inquiry on the DATE as well, I was already aware BOS-SFO as the most likely first route
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I didn't see a specific date or route listed in the article for the first flight which I think is what many people are looking for now, especially if they have any interest in trying to participate in the inaugural flight.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Mar 23, 2022 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was on a 737-900 very early, and the pilot explained that it was essentially a flight to try it out. Indeed, it had that new aircraft smell. It appeared on only one day of the schedule for some improbably shortish route in the midwest (to/from MSP, maybe IND, STL, or MCI). I noticed it when I was booking a business trip and pounced, especially since it looked very good for a FC upgrade (which happened at the window).

IIRC when the 777 was first delivered, it was used at least a few times on some domestic routes (maybe DTW-ATL and vv) before being sent to a TPAC destination. This sounds like something that would primarily make sense with the same FAs that would then work the longer routes. [I'm guessing DTW because IIRC the 777 was first employed on some of the DTW-Asia routes, perhaps PVG; I know it didn't appear at MSP until a bit later.]
errr. Delta got its first in 1999. They didn't start any 777 DTW-Asia flights till well after the merger with Northwest which was in 2008.

The 777s roll when they first got to Delta was ATL-NRT, a lot of Europe flying (LGW/CDG) and then Florida flying, mostly MCO. Bankruptcy had them stretching their legs to Asia (NRT/ICN from Atlanta) India (BOM from JFK) and TLV from ATL. Once the LR came into the fleet they did a lot of the same plus things like ATL-JFK-BOM and ATL-DKR-JNB going non-stop. Also ATL-PVG and LAX-SYD.

then with the merger things were moved around, and some routes (BOM) where cut during the great recession.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
errr. Delta got its first in 1999. They didn't start any 777 DTW-Asia flights till well after the merger with Northwest which was in 2008.

The 777s roll when they first got to Delta was ATL-NRT, a lot of Europe flying (LGW/CDG) and then Florida flying, mostly MCO. Bankruptcy had them stretching their legs to Asia (NRT/ICN from Atlanta) India (BOM from JFK) and TLV from ATL. Once the LR came into the fleet they did a lot of the same plus things like ATL-JFK-BOM and ATL-DKR-JNB going non-stop. Also ATL-PVG and LAX-SYD.

then with the merger things were moved around, and some routes (BOM) where cut during the great recession.
I believe PMNW got some 777s before the merger.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I believe PMNW got some 777s before the merger.
NW considered 777s but never committed to any.
https://northwestairlineshistory.org...ft-boeing-777/

NW did place an order for 787s but after the merger Delta deferred and then eventually canceled that order.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:11 pm

Right, 2L/R door is deleted. Only 3 on each side. They have extra row. It's different aircraft, not same as non-A321neo standard. Yes, they have 3L/R door.
Deltas NEO config has 4 doors two on each side and 4 window exits.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
NW considered 777s but never committed to any.
https://northwestairlineshistory.org...ft-boeing-777/

NW did place an order for 787s but after the merger Delta deferred and then eventually canceled that order.
They did. They ordered A330-200/300 aircraft before merger Delta. Yes, they ordered 787-8 Dreamliner and they never received the 787 Dreamliner. They keep delay, delay, and delay delivery.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Some photos and video of the interior of the plane have been posted on Reddit.

https://old.reddit.com/r/delta/comme...mood_lighting/

https://old.reddit.com/r/delta/comme...hting_feature/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195271305@N04/?
Keith2004 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MotelRomeo

Wow! It’s so beautiful!! Thanks for sharing this!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if the A321NEO routes (and first flight/flights) will be getting loaded in this weekend's schedule change updates?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
As I posted before in this thread, does anyone believe that DL will actually start flying these before they have at least 2 - 3 frames delivered, which hopefully be the case by next month sometime? As of today, no other frames have had test flights yet, but 2 others have been spotted painted already!
https://aibfamily.flights/A320/10467
https://aibfamily.flights/A320/10974

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.