Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Diamond vs United Premier 1K after GUC devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

In light of the GUC devaluation, how do you guys feel Delta Diamond compares to United Premier 1K status now? In terms of benefits, which tier would you say is best now?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
I've been 1K and have been Diamond for years. DL continues to lead the race to the bottom . If UA would extend it's presence at DTW, I'd flip in heartbeat.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aloha1
I've been 1K and have been Diamond for years. DL continues to lead the race to the bottom . If UA would extend it's presence at DTW, I'd flip in heartbeat.
I'm surprised more people ain't commenting.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lsquare
In light of the GUC devaluation, how do you guys feel Delta Diamond compares to United Premier 1K status now? In terms of benefits, which tier would you say is best now?
would be interested to hear more on this as well....have been diamond for almost 10 years now but there is no doubt that ua would work better for me now....just haven't felt the need to switch in the past but am now considering it....
unitedbusiness and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I was both and am solidly UA now with just DL Silver (thanks to MM status).

For me the easiest/biggest things that keep me at United are 1) award ticket changes for free up until departure - I can change them all day/night without penalty. I'm actually doing it right now with my trip to Europe starting this week and I've changed four times already. Sure, I had to spend a few more miles this close-in but 70K r/t in coach vs $2,100 ticket last minute? Yes please. DL wants 220K+ in miles and much higher taxes because of CDG for the same cities; 2) the elite line. 1K answers the phone within seconds each and every time. Maybe my longest hold is 3 minutes in the past 3 years. DL Diamond, I still read reports of consistent 20+ minute hold times. If I have to call an agent then something is definitely wrong and I need to speak to someone. I'm not about to waste so much time just on hold as a "top tier" elite.

-RM
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Was a long time 1K (ORD and then IAD based) who eventually found my way to DL PM (now RDU based) after peak Smisek years. You can debate all the other things but when it comes to the GUC devaluation specifically it hasn't changed all that much.

UA basically does the same thing but they just do it more directly by basing the points required on what fare class you buy -- so the answer to this question really depends on whether you are purchasing deep discount economy fares or not.

If you are upgrading from deep discount economy your 320 PlusPoints (40 + 280 for 1K) only gets you 4 long haul upgrades (and no domestic US upgrades).

That said my DL Plat is already renewed for next year (assuming I hit MQD waiver on my CC which is a given) so I'm somewhat tempted to status match to UA and see how they stand these days -- especially with a couple early RDU - SFO trips on the docket (can just take the direct if I do a UA match).
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:17 am

I have both. I am 1k on UA and Diamond on DL.

Both have their advantages., but lets be honest, if you think one airline wont screw you over because they actually like you then you are delusional. Right now DL is racing to the bottom. Tomorrow, UA will be.

Make no mistake that the con that you get something of value from the airlines for nothing with status is long exposed. Airlines only give you what they want to give you, and that is basically what you pay for. WFBF solves this whole problem.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
I'm looking at this closely. I already have enough flights planned next year to make DM (almost exclusively on partners in J). So, looking at UA as an alternative for my additional flights. I did take advantage of the AC status match program, but they now require $6K spend to make SA Gold for all. (Non-Canadians used to only need $3K in spend with AC.)
unitedbusiness and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:49 am

Has anyone received a status match from Diamond to 1K? Any challenges either?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I have both. I am 1k on UA and Diamond on DL.

Both have their advantages., but lets be honest, if you think one airline wont screw you over because they actually like you then you are delusional. Right now DL is racing to the bottom. Tomorrow, UA will be.

Make no mistake that the con that you get something of value from the airlines for nothing with status is long exposed. Airlines only give you what they want to give you, and that is basically what you pay for. WFBF solves this whole problem.
I think anyone would want to go with the best program for any given year and not necessarily be loyal to one particular airline. Seems like UA may be better because of the PlusPoints compared to the devalued DL GUC?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Clearly the UA program was better, and now that DL changed the usage for GUC, it is even better now. While upgrade availability is a hit or miss on both, UA has more flexibility. DL will only give you a higher standby priority when using your GUCs which is not the case when on standby using your UA PP.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I consider myself a free agent now, and have already started the process of exploring other airlines for upcoming bookings. I had a great experience in Lufthansa First earlier this year for my one necessary international trip I've taken post-COVID, and now that Delta has made Diamond more unattractive, I'm feeling freer to choose the carrier that best meets my needs.

United probably won't be that out of Seattle for me due to hub convenience, although I feel like lately I've been hopping to SFO before every international trip anyway for price reasons, so maybe I might as well embrace that? I do have an AC status match to Aeroplan 75K which gets me UA lounge access and some minor perks, so I might leverage that to try a UA flight or two and see how I like them. I haven't been on one of their flights in over a decade, so it'll be a novel experience!

I am seriously contemplating Alaska - my objection as an international elite was always lack of partners/lounge access, and now that they are in OneWorld they are a lot more attractive. They don't really offer useful international upgrades, though, so it would more be something I accidentally hit because I end up booking a lot of AS/OneWorld flights in paid F/J than an active endeavor to achieve status.

In general, I think the answer to "diamond vs 1k" for me is going to be "neither". With credit card waiver and infinite MQM rollover, I'll coast my way into Platinum, which will be perfectly fine for the occasional domestic trip. If I accidentally hit Diamond, great, if not, oh well, nothing great lost. Being DM has been almost a part of my identity since the program began and pre-COVID it was unfathomable that I wouldn't try to maintain it, but the carrot was always the ability to sit in premium cabins internationally, and if I'm having to pay for them anyway I might as well buy whatever is most convenient right off the bat.

If I was a road warrior, I think it would come down to where my destinations are - I don't think any program is really attractive enough anymore to justify being loyal to one airline unless you can reach a 360/GS tier.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Christefan
Clearly the UA program was better, and now that DL changed the usage for GUC, it is even better now. While upgrade availability is a hit or miss on both, UA has more flexibility. DL will only give you a higher standby priority when using your GUCs which is not the case when on standby using your UA PP.
Have been DM since first year of program and 1K past three years. Even with this I’ll still make DL my airline of choice. I do feel this is a huge devaluation to the program and sad to see DL do this after many positive changes (ie ability to use RUC on awards, certs for companions not on PNR etc). However, I think the end DL still rules operationally and hard product is not even a comparison hands down. Right now the only are DL lags is F/J food which I HOPE they catch up (soon).

UA 1K does have its perks, but UG’s on UA have been harder for me this year and I’ve found more availability using RUC than UA’s plus points where literally every time I’m waitlisted.

I’ll also admit I don’t travel internationally as much and if I did my perspective may change. I still prefer Delta One over Polaris (unless it’s some 763). And the DL A333/332 is still better than many is the UA wide body 787’s that have the old config.

One small enhancement DL could do is DM/360 preboard before F like UA. But I’m sure many would disagree.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
For me the easiest/biggest things that keep me at United are 1) award ticket changes for free up until departure - I can change them all day/night without penalty.
In the context of 1K vs. DM this benefit is a wash though, right? Or is there something else about the way UA does it (I haven't been 1K for a couple years)

Originally Posted by kobyjones21
Has anyone received a status match from Diamond to 1K? Any challenges either?
Yes. The published parameters only discuss matching up to UA Plat but DMs are routinely given 1K for the challenge. FT thread in the UA forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...021-terms.html
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by mnredfox
One small enhancement DL could do is DM/360 preboard before F like UA. But I’m sure many would disagree.
I had a GA do that last week. I was the only one to board in that group (ATL-LGA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.