Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Diamond vs United Premier 1K after GUC devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Diamond vs United Premier 1K after GUC devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BenA
Yes, people have often been told they can't use GUCs for flights after the expiration date, even if availability is there to confirm at booking. Only some agents are willing to 'bend the rules' and reissue the ticket for a flight past the deadline. When it's been done for me, I've been told it's an exception.
Has your position changed? UA is definitely weak in SEA, but I love UA's international network way more than DL. It seems like DL's pre-COVID strategy was to rely more on its JV partners. That doesn't do me much good if I want to utilize my DL status. Obviously, the GUC devaluation only made things worse.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eneq
Maybe I have been unlucky, but since I moved to DEN last year, over half of my 10 UA flights have had mechanical delays. In my last 5 years of flying DL regularly, I can count one time that I have been delayed due to a mechanical issue.
You have indeed been unlucky but it still amazes me that people don't give credit where credit is due for Delta's operational superiority....it is almost like they don't think 85% on time vs. 70% on time in a real thing. And Delta has kind of had a bad time of it lately by their standards.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
Has your position changed? UA is definitely weak in SEA, but I love UA's international network way more than DL. It seems like DL's pre-COVID strategy was to rely more on its JV partners. That doesn't do me much good if I want to utilize my DL status. Obviously, the GUC devaluation only made things worse.
FWIW, in Seattle, almost all international flights are Delta metal - so I was feeling pretty well taken care of up until they gutted GUCs. Particularly because GUCs could be used on partner flights for AF/KL. (Asia was getting frustrating, though, with the lack of usability on KE and the loss of the NRT transit hub.)

I still think I'm unlikely to make a play for UA status - the grass isn't much greener at United, I'm just saying I think the grass is pretty brown industry-wide now and I'm better served by becoming an opportunist who plays the field for the next few years.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
FWIW, in Seattle, almost all international flights are Delta metal - so I was feeling pretty well taken care of up until they gutted GUCs. Particularly because GUCs could be used on partner flights for AF/KL. (Asia was getting frustrating, though, with the lack of usability on KE and the loss of the NRT transit hub.)

I still think I'm unlikely to make a play for UA status - the grass isn't much greener at United, I'm just saying I think the grass is pretty brown industry-wide now and I'm better served by becoming an opportunist who plays the field for the next few years.
I liked how DL used their newest planes from SEA-PVG/TYO. My SEA-HND flight was canceled by the time COVID started surging around the world. I'm not too keen on playing the free-agent game. For me, I think I'll be sticking with either DL or UA. It sucks that I'm in this position right now, but at least I'm inching closer to DL MM status.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
Just a different insight: Rather than one year status for DL, I'd shoot for more generous Lifetime status on UA. Lifetime Premier Gold(UA) is just 1 Mil, whereas Annual Silver Medallion is whopping 1 Million. Better status on UA.

Jiburi
UA uses actual butt-in-seat miles only for lifetime status calculations, don't they? DL includes any MQM (e.g. class of service bonuses, Amex MQM boosts, acellerator bonuses all count). Most DL "million milers" haven't actually flown 1,000,000 miles.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:23 am

Yes, people have often been told they can't use GUCs for flights after the expiration date, even if availability is there to confirm at booking. Only some agents are willing to 'bend the rules' and reissue the ticket for a flight past the deadline. When it's been done for me, I've been told it's an exception.
The current policy is that you have to fly before the GUC expiration. It used to be that you just needed to consume the GUC before expiration (e.g. if you are on a flight that departs after expiration but you can confirm the upgrade before expiration, it would be allowed) but that changed in ... 2019?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.