Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK Terminal 4 Rant - I miss Terminal 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Terminal 4 Rant - I miss Terminal 2

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I actually like that the Centurion Lounge is way on the other side. Gives you another choice if you get lucky and get a B20 or B22 departure. As another poster noted, often times I wouldn't even bother going to the SkyClub if I was leaving from those gates. Centurion Lounge now gives you another option. (side note, I really don't get the huge attraction of that Centurion Lounge -- it is quite small and tight in the food area and seems to be overrun with people no differently than the Skyclub)
Unfortunately for me Delta always uses gate b51 or b53 when I fly JFK to DTW. I wish they had a tram to go to the far gates like DTW.

I love the speakeasy at the JFK CL and having food on actual plates and easy access to a seat in a quiet area if I want to do work.. I like the skydeck at JFK when the weather is nice though and they have a bigger food selection.
El Boocho and TastyPlaneEats like this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Is the station at the end of the concourse operating again? In my July trip with a T4>T2 connection, I arrived at B39 or 41, followed the signs to the jitney station down by B54/55 just to see the sign that said it wasn’t operating. Sure enjoyed that double back walk all they way to the front of the terminal.
It wasn’t at the beginning of September. Just the T4-T2 route.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It wasn’t at the beginning of September. Just the T4-T2 route.
Confirmed only B18-T2 today - hubs was not impressed with me for not discovering this thread in advance. The map on the Delta site still shows the original route, but no text alongside it - I should have done more than a quick Google search before deciding against wheelchair assistance =/
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Only on FT would there be a thread with people talking about how they miss T2 and T3 in JFK because they have to walk a bunch in T4. I agree that the intra-T4 bus returning would be helpful, especially with DL returning towards full operations as we get further removed from the spring of 2020, but it's just walking.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steveholt
Only on FT would there be a thread with people talking about how they miss T2 and T3 in JFK because they have to walk a bunch in T4. I agree that the intra-T4 bus returning would be helpful, especially with DL returning towards full operations as we get further removed from the spring of 2020, but it's just walking.
"it's just walking" you say? Well just walking a few gates can tire my lungs out since having CV19. It's months later and still is an issue. Plenty of people have disabilities. They don't necessarily need wheelchairs and like to try and be independent aa possible. The extra stop can be difference between being independent or needing to be dependent on assistance. (Which are short staffed)
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
Confirmed only B18-T2 today - hubs was not impressed with me for not discovering this thread in advance. The map on the Delta site still shows the original route, but no text alongside it - I should have done more than a quick Google search before deciding against wheelchair assistance =/
It's really inexcusable that the maps still show it operating after being out of service this long. As I posted upthread last SUMMER, I was mightily annoyed to walk to the end of the terminal just to have to turn around and make the entire trek back to the front. I can't believe that is still happening.

I have no issue with walking in terminals, but the above absolutely tested my patience with T4.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta PM
but it's just walking.
T4 is more than "just walking" lol
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I don't mind walking and if I'm at an end gate at DTW I will normally walk it instead of using the tram.

But at JFK that is a heck of a walk if you are flowing out of the end B gates if you have mobility issues or are have a lot of luggage or have a tight connection and the gates are at opposite ends of the concourse or one flight is out of the end gates at T4 and the other is at T2.

It's also a pain on the DTW flights that use 50s gate when you make the long walk from the Am Ex lounge to find out the board hadn't been updated and the plane isn't even there, at least in DTW you are near a skyclub at an end gate, it's a pain to make the walk back to the skyclub and back to the gate if the delay is long enough you want to hang out there.

Not sure how cutting out that one stop is making things safer. I think it's just a cost cutting measure using covid as an excuse like Delta is using for the boxed food and plastic glasses and no PDB in first.

The JFK website should at least get updated to show that stop no longer exists.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
But at JFK that is a heck of a walk if you are flowing out of the end B gates if you have mobility issues or are have a lot of luggage or have a tight connection and the gates are at opposite ends of the concourse or one flight is out of the end gates at T4 and the other is at T2.

Not sure how cutting out that one stop is making things safer. I think it's just a cost cutting measure using covid as an excuse like Delta is using for the boxed food and plastic glasses and no PDB in first.

The JFK website should at least get updated to show that stop no longer exists.
It is a long walk, that's true. I also think every conversation I see about the distance in T4 suggests that every single connection people seem to have is from the very end of T4 all the way to T2, when that's not realistically the case. I also think that distance making people nostalgic for T2 (which still exists) and T3 (which was an absolute dump) is a reminder of our capacity to be nostalgic about things we were complaining about when they were the only option.

Is the argument for cutting the T4 stop that it's safer? I was under the impression that it had been removed because those gates weren't being used quite as frequently with the reduction in traffic and hadn't yet been restored. I agree 100% that there's no safety argument for not having the stop.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Yeah there are many reasons to dislike T4. Very long walks and inadequately staffed Sky Priority check in desks.
jamesteroh and ohhleary like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It
Is the argument for cutting the T4 stop that it's safer? I was under the impression that it had been removed because those gates weren't being used quite as frequently with the reduction in traffic and hadn't yet been restored. I agree 100% that there's no safety argument for not having the stop.
Delta seems to use Covid/Safety as an excuse for all the other service cuts like no PDB and those awful box meals and disposable glasses in domestic F and closing the showers in the skyclub so wouldn't surprise me if that's the excuse they have for eliminating that stop to avoid paying another employee to man that top., I'm sure Delta is the one paying for the Jitney not the port authority. And there are still plenty of flights from the end gates. I've flown JFK/DTW four times since May and every time it's been a gate number in the 50s. They seem to use only the end gates for Regionals. The jfk airport site is still showing the b54 stop, they need to update that.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by TomTom7
As I get on in years I am finding Delta Terminal 4 to be a pain in the ***. It always seems to be an endless walk to the gates and half the time one or more of the moving walkways don't work. I also have to think twice about going to the Skyclub if I have a gate near gate 20 or one at the other end of the terminal and want to take bus. I wish there was a bus somewhere towards the middle of the gates.

When we return from our trips we have to walk a mile to the baggage claim which is at the other end of the terminal and there are no moving walkways for a good chunk of the trip. If we arrive at gates 40+ at night the buses to gate 18 seem to be shut down so we have to hoof it.

I miss terminal 2
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:19 pm

When you say a mile, you’re not kidding! Even when the moving sidewalks work, they are so short as to be useless. Heaven forbid they go past a store! You are never on a moving sidewalk past a restaurant or store. I’m landing at B53 in a few minutes and it will take me 20-25 minutes to get to baggage claim walking as fast as I can. Why are there not more golf carts? I HATE Terminal 4 and would gladly switch airlines to avoid it.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I'm starting to love LGA. JFK is ok for trans-continentals but for shorter flights, I always look at LGA first now.
ND76 and ryw like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I would say that I like the new A gates and the accompanying SkyClub. The only problem for me is that someone in Delta management is Cleveland-phobic, so flights to or fron CLE end up at gate A21, at the far end of the A gates (when they are not arriving at gate B55).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.