Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK Terminal 4 Rant - I miss Terminal 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Terminal 4 Rant - I miss Terminal 2

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Man, don't get me started on MSP. It's the only airport where they have a little train station next to the moving walkways in case you look allllllll the way down into the distance and say "oh hell no!"
MSP gives the sensation that I’m trapped in an Escher print where you’re walking in a perpetual circle and never actually get where you’re going.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
New (or newer) shiny terminals certainly look nice and, yes, have nice shiny new big clubs.

But man, JFK T2, the (disappearing piece by piece) old LGA, even the old SLC are/were just so much more convenient getting from the gate to the curb (or vice versa).
sspontak, ShopAround and ohhleary like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
T4's layout is truly suboptimal. But it does have Clear and a Centurion lounge. On the other hand, the walks are much shorter when I fly B6 or AA transcon. AS's terminal lacks Precheck but has short walks.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
T4's layout is truly suboptimal. But it does have Clear and a Centurion lounge. On the other hand, the walks are much shorter when I fly B6 or AA transcon. AS's terminal lacks Precheck but has short walks.
Since one often arrives @ JFK so early because of traffic contingencies, I take this as an opportunity to (1) have a decent bite and quality beverages at the AX Lounge, then (2) take advantage of the DL Exercise Benefit (i.e., a brisk walk out to the SC, where I will (3) have another not quite as tasty beverage, along with some nutrition for exercise recovery) and then (4) a stroll to the gate.
davedeboston likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Originally Posted by Crossinator
When you land at JFK past midnight on the high B50 gates after a long day of work and flying, and have to walk all the way to the baggage claim, you will hate terminal 4.
Aside the sometimes inoperable automated walkways in T4, if you power walk with a rolling suitcase, one can suck it up with exiting. It's more of the inbound / security experience that's more frustrating.

T2 is home to the only Sky Club in the DL system where I got chastised for not properly using tongs by some a-hole staff member as well.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:18 am

JFK T4 - you can get Shake Shack and then walk off the 1500 calories walking to the gate.

I too like to walk past all the gates and see what is going where, but when I’m in a hurry it feels like a forever walk.

I find departing T-2 disgusting. Feels very old, smelly and dirty to me. The club is barely any better. Makes me want a shower and a tetanus shot. Arrivals are nice though since is such a short walk.
sspontak likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Am I one of the few who wasn't sad to see JFK's T3 go? I generally try to have an appreciation for historic things, especially historic things relating to aviation, but I found T3 to be a dump, historic as it was (not that T2 isn't). Maybe they could have renovated it to not be a dump while keeping the iconic parts but I remember being very unimpressed with T3. I'm also not the least bit sad LAX T3 was demolished either.

Conversely I don't mind T4 at JFK (at least for connecting - been a few years since I've had to deal with an originating or terminating flight there). Long walks generally don't bother me (though I do think they need to do a better job of keeping the moving sidewalks working). I enjoy walking through terminals walking past gates and looking at the monitor to see where each flight is heading, plus it can just feel nice to walk before or after sitting in a plane for several hours.
Both T2 and T3 were dumps, but the historic "docking stations" for aircraft (apparently before there were jetways) fascinated me. I also liked the circular design. I wish DL had kept T3 and demolished T2.

OTOH, I always hated the IAD people movers.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by El Boocho
JFK T4 - you can get Shake Shack and then walk off the 1500 calories walking to the gate.
You can use the first Shake Shack as base camp to sustain you through the trek to the 2nd Shake Shack before making your final push to your boarding gate
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
You can use the first Shake Shack as base camp to sustain you through the trek to the 2nd Shake Shack before making your final push to your boarding gate
I’ve never noticed the second shack. I was probably still in a diabetic coma from the shake.
MSPeconomist and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
T4 >> T2
T3 was a dump with birds inside.

If the walk is too long you can always take the bus airside from the very beginning to the very far end.
Or you can waive down a pax assist on a golf cart and ask them to drive you to your gate. Don't forget to tip.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Zorak
I actually prefer the pizza place about midway through T4 where I got my pizza in a Shake Shack bag with Dunkin Donuts napkins.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
The lounge progression in T4 is:

WingTips (amuse bouche)
Centurion (main course)

then a brisk walk to the SkyClub to digest on the SkyDeck

After that, I can't imagine paying for food anywhere. I've eaten at the (proximal) Shake Shack once in ten years.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mayhem
T4 >> T2
T3 was a dump with birds inside.

If the walk is too long you can always take the bus airside from the very beginning to the very far end.
Or you can waive down a pax assist on a golf cart and ask them to drive you to your gate. Don't forget to tip.
Indoor zoos can be nice, and birds (grilled) can taste good, although not everyone likes pigeons and some think that the little lounge sparrows are too small and too much work to serve as a meal rather than an appetizer. I have fond memories of the birds in the TWA terminal at JFK, back when TW was an airline and not just the name of an airport hotel.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:54 am

The lounge progression in T4 is:

WingTips (amuse bouche)
Centurion (main course)

then a brisk walk to the SkyClub to digest on the SkyDeck

After that, I can't imagine paying for food anywhere. I've eaten at the (proximal) Shake Shack once in ten years.
Having done a B55 to the VS Clubhouse, while on a broken foot, in 2019, it truly feels like it goes on forever. Going all the way to the KLM bus gates at AMS was far more uncomfortable.

And both travelators weren't working either.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:20 am

After that, I can't imagine paying for food anywhere.
If all you care about is getting calories into your body, then sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.