Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta losing 3 planes to Civil Reserve Air Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta losing 3 planes to Civil Reserve Air Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Looks like the Delta operation is up to 4 widebodies with a major ground presence at IAD.

https://news.delta.com/live-updates-...lp-afghanistan
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Was wondering about the COVD testing... crazy that no testing being done before departing and only after arrival in the USA.
Even our own citizens can't do that - the govt requires a negative test in order to get on a plane to the US.
It's a life and death emergency. It's not the same as you coming back from a week in Paris.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Pivoting to the important questions, do these flights earn MQMs and how will they be catered?
And how are MQDs calculated...
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
Was wondering about the COVD testing... crazy that no testing being done before departing and only after arrival in the USA.
Even our own citizens can't do that - the govt requires a negative test in order to get on a plane to the US.
Are they testing the evacuees in Ramstein? I don't know what the base's hospital capacity is, and I assume the German government would not be thrilled.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think the flight hours will matter much to the crew who ask to work this operation. I would be willing to bet that more than enough crew will volunteer to do this because of the chance to help people in great need. It's not often you are called upon to help with something of such meaning and significance. Yes, they will get lots of hours in quickly, but I'd also bet they would find more than enough crew willing to do this even if it were unpaid (not saying it should be).
Dont know about refugee flights but flight attendants usually like to work DoD troop charters (the military charter trips are very popular and go quite senior) as our soldiers are a lot easier to deal with than regular passengers! As a Pan Am/Delta purser once told me, everything is Yes, Maam or Thank You Maam with the troops and they dont have to deal with any DYKWIAs!
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Are they testing the evacuees in Ramstein? I don't know what the base's hospital capacity is, and I assume the German government would not be thrilled.
My understanding is that everyone is being tested upon arrival in the USA. Before that, they're just looking for people with COVID-19 symptoms.

BTW, Ramstein has a big and very renowned hospital. It's traditionally where freed hostages are first taken to be checked, etc.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Everyone should be aware that the airlines which comprise the CRAF are reimbursed for the flights. But even more importantly, the carriers are paid compensation annually whether the need to activate the fleet occurs or not. The CRAF has officially been activated only twice before now... Desert Shield and Iraqi Freedom. Pan Am, TWA, World Airways, Arrow, Capitol International and other carriers were used heavily during the Vietnam War but these were apparently straight charter deals with the DoD.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think the flight hours will matter much to the crew who ask to work this operation. I would be willing to bet that more than enough crew will volunteer to do this because of the chance to help people in great need. It's not often you are called upon to help with something of such meaning and significance. Yes, they will get lots of hours in quickly, but I'd also bet they would find more than enough crew willing to do this even if it were unpaid (not saying it should be).
Further to this post, this is an interesting video clip which I saw DL had retweeted. Along with the DL FO's personal experiences (including when young at Ramstein), I noted his comments about the DL FAs.

RobertS975 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 24left
Further to this post, this is an interesting video clip which I saw DL had retweeted. Along with the DL FO's personal experiences (including when young at Ramstein), I noted his comments about the DL FAs.

https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/1431245813959872514
Thanks for posting the video. I saw only a bit of it when it was shown on CNN. It was great to see the entire interview.

I love that the DL FAs bought stuff for the kids in preparation for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.