Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta extends medallion status through '22 Medallion year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta extends medallion status through '22 Medallion year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Qualify for DM vs. DM+ in 2022

Looking for suggestions/advice: with status extension, I will be a "regular DM" in 2022, and about $5k short in MQDs to qualify for "enhanced DM". Can do few MQD runs from JFK-LAX or JFK-Europe....but struggling to see if it is "worth" it?

Anyone else in the similar situation...what has been your thought process?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Looking for suggestions/advice: with status extension, I will be a "regular DM" in 2022, and about $5k short in MQDs to qualify for "enhanced DM". Can do few MQD runs from JFK-LAX or JFK-Europe....but struggling to see if it is "worth" it?

Look at an AM business class flight JFK-Colombia. Will get you 2/3 of the way there for like 800 bucks.
metalblaze and vbscript2 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC

I am in the same boat, I am planning on going to VCE for the weekend middle of December. I have never been and want to scout it out prior to next year when we do a family vacation there. My thought process is I normally make Diamond by march, if in 2022 I am not traveling again in earnest I won't need anything in 2023.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Disc

I think it would be hard for it to be worth $2,857 of spending to do it on Delta, but, as someone else mentioned, it might be worthwhile if you could do a cheap, long business-class flight on Aeromexico or some other top-tier partner where MQDs are earned as a percentage of distance flown instead of on ticket price.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:00 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Using DL Vacations JFK-ZRH-JFK will get you approx $4,000 MQD if you purchase PS each way; DL Vacation packages use D(istance) method for the accelerator. Sometimes the air + hotel package is cheaper than the airfare alone. In DL's added examples on the "accelaerator" pages DL Vac DO earn proprer accelerator numbers (even though the fares may be "bulk"--you can also use GUCs, though some DL agents don't know this.)
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by nrr; Sep 20, 2021 at 10:50 am
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
2022 Status

My 2022 status still just shows “Skymiles Member” and not diamond medallion. Does anyone see their 2022 status match their 2021 there if they haven’t achieved it for this year?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j1194
My 2022 status still just shows “Skymiles Member” and not diamond medallion. Does anyone see their 2022 status match their 2021 there if they haven’t achieved it for this year?
Status extensions won't show until later. I forget when they showed last year, but I believe it wasn't until towards the end of the year. My account also does not yet reflect extended status.
Akaheto likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:30 am

Will MQM's earned from Amex rollover as well? And Will MQS's rollover as well?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Will MQM's earned from Amex rollover as well?
Yes. All MQMs.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:52 pm

Will MQM's earned from Amex rollover as well? And Will MQS's rollover as well?
MQS has never rolled over and there's no indication that it will suddenly start this year.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
When does the intra-Medallion level upgrade priority earned for the 2022 qualification year become effective? Does it commence whenever the Skymiles member requalifies or does it become effective on 2-1-22? The Medallion upgrades page seems to indicate that the priority is effective at or shortly after requalification:

"* All Medallion Members who earn their Status for the 2022 Medallion year by meeting the published qualifications will have Complimentary Upgrade clearance priority over those with extended Status within the same Tier. For example, a Platinum Medallion Member who earned Status on their own will clear before a Platinum Medallion Member who was given extended Status."

F
or those who have already qualified, do you perceive that your position on the upgrade lists has changed relative to the time prior to when you requalified for 2022? I have a trip to MCO tomorrow and given my current position on the upgrade list (#4) on a pleasure travel route with plenty of check-in time remaining, my impression is that the 2022 Intra-Medallion level qualification priority is in effect.

Last edited by MIA-SAT; Sep 22, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Yes. All MQMs.
This may sound stupid, but if 2020 MQM's rolled over to 2021, and now all MQM's are being rolled over to 2021, does that mean the MQM's earned in 2020 that were allocated to 2021 will also rollover?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
When does the intra-Medallion level upgrade priority earned for the 2022 qualification year become effective? Does it commence whenever the Skymiles member requalifies or does it become effective on 2-1-22? The Medallion upgrades page seems to indicate that the priority is effective at or shortly after requalification:

"* All Medallion Members who earn their Status for the 2022 Medallion year by meeting the published qualifications will have Complimentary Upgrade clearance priority over those with extended Status within the same Tier. For example, a Platinum Medallion Member who earned Status on their own will clear before a Platinum Medallion Member who was given extended Status."

F
or those who have already qualified, do you perceive that your position on the upgrade lists has changed relative to the time prior to when you requalified for 2022? I have a trip to MCO tomorrow and given my current position on the upgrade list (#4) on a pleasure travel route with plenty of check-in time remaining, my impression is that the 2022 Intra-Medallion level qualification priority is in effect.
isn’t that for next year?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 4:15 pm

This may sound stupid, but if 2020 MQM's rolled over to 2021, and now all MQM's are being rolled over to 2021, does that mean the MQM's earned in 2020 that were allocated to 2021 will also rollover?
Yes, and it has always been that way - or at least it has been that way at least since the implementation of MQDs. For members who have achieved Silver Medallion or above, all MQMs in excess of those required to attain the current status roll over to the next year. So as long as you have >25,000 MQMs in a given year, and spend at least $3,000 worth of MQDs, any number of MQMs above 25k will roll over. If you have a big pile of MQMs and don't fly at all, you could still maintain Silver or better by spending $25k or more in a year on a qualifying Delta-branded AmEx, too.

To use me as an example, I am a domestic Diamond. At the end of 2019 I had 177,015 MQM. I used 125,000 of that to requalify for 2020 DM, and carried over 52,015. In 2020 I earned an additional 56,335 (which should have dropped me to PM, but status extension...) so I ended 2020 with 108,350. That entire 108k carried over into 2021, and so far this year I have earned another 105,331, so I am currently sitting at 213,681. I expect to fly enough to earn at least another 25k before the end of the year, so I will be rolling over something north of 240k MQM into 2022.

Does that help?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Yes, and it has always been that way - or at least it has been that way at least since the implementation of MQDs. For members who have achieved Silver Medallion or above, all MQMs in excess of those required to attain the current status roll over to the next year. So as long as you have >25,000 MQMs in a given year, and spend at least $3,000 worth of MQDs, any number of MQMs above 25k will roll over. If you have a big pile of MQMs and don't fly at all, you could still maintain Silver or better by spending $25k or more in a year on a qualifying Delta-branded AmEx, too.

To use me as an example, I am a domestic Diamond. At the end of 2019 I had 177,015 MQM. I used 125,000 of that to requalify for 2020 DM, and carried over 52,015. In 2020 I earned an additional 56,335 (which should have dropped me to PM, but status extension...) so I ended 2020 with 108,350. That entire 108k carried over into 2021, and so far this year I have earned another 105,331, so I am currently sitting at 213,681. I expect to fly enough to earn at least another 25k before the end of the year, so I will be rolling over something north of 240k MQM into 2022.

Does that help?
That does. Thanks for explaining so clearly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.