Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades with tickets brought through AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Hello!

I'm Delta PM. 2 questions around getting Delta tickets through the AMEX Member Portal.

1. If I buy a ticket through AMEX with money, will I still be eligible for the usual upgrades I get when buying directly through Delta?
2. If I buy a ticket through AMEX with AMEX membership rewards points, will I still be eligible for the usual upgrades I get when buying directly through Delta?

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and yes. I've done both, and gotten upgrades.

Buying airfare through portals is distinctly different from making hotel reservations through portals in this regard.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick and helpful response!
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Hello! Followup question: Do you know if I buy my ticket on the AMEX portal (JFK-TLV for September) will that come with free changes or cancellation?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you buy through AmEx, AmEx becomes your travel agent and changes must be done through AmEx until the day of departure. I would expect AmEx to charge a ticket reissue fee for any "voluntary" changes.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by grunze
Hello! Followup question: Do you know if I buy my ticket on the AMEX portal (JFK-TLV for September) will that come with free changes or cancellation?

Thanks!
DL won't charge , but AMEX may have a fee.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 6:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you buy through AmEx, AmEx becomes your travel agent and changes must be done through AmEx until the day of departure. I would expect AmEx to charge a ticket reissue fee for any "voluntary" changes.
They usually do not charge a fee for Gold/Platinum/Centurion cardholders.

However, there’s a downside that could directly affect upgrade list position. When there’s a schedule change involving new flight numbers and DL does not fix tickets booked with a TA right away (very usual), Amex needs to reconfirm the new flights and this could take up to an additional day unless you call and it gets done manually. In the meantime​​, DL reconfirms tickets issued by them and by the time Amex finishes, anyone at your medallion level with the same fare will have an earlier timestamp.

Happened to me at least 3 times in the last year, where my spouse booked directly and I booked through Amex, at the same time, and in the same fare class, but after schedule changes she ended up many positions higher in the list and the GA explanation was the timestamp at the time of rebooking following schedule change.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by SDQBound
They usually do not charge a fee for Gold/Platinum/Centurion cardholders.
Good info. I bought a ticket recently as was annoyed that there is a $39 fee in the event I canceled.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there aren't fees for purchasing tickets if you book them online through the AmEx website, but this might go through Expedia like many hotel reservations do, especially the prepaid ones. I would expect fees to be associated with any voluntary changes or cancellations.

I always call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.