Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your thoughts on poor itinerary please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Your thoughts on poor itinerary please

I'm trying to assist an elderly friend with Skymiles tickets. He is a 2 million miler and very loyal to Delta for many years. He was able to book with miles on two RT tickets to Zurich for September (booked in March). Delta has now dropped Zurich from the sked and has him travelling BHM/ATL/JFK/AMS to ZRH. Plus 5 hours in JFK and 1 hour in AMS. He is not happy at all w/this sked and has spent numerous hours trying to email/call and get help from Delta. They offer nothing. He is also concerned about the one hour in AMS due to Covid. Thougths and ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
You often have to feed the agent specific flights you want in situations like this.

BHM-ATL-AMS-ZRH seems to be much better, right? Try specifically asking for this (look at flight #s ahead of time) if you like it.
MSPeconomist and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, and be sure to put as many segments on DL operates flights as possible, including the TATL portion.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM
If you haven't already just get all his information, if possible, and call as your friend. Schedule changed and you have a right to get rebooked with the specific itinerary you provide.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
And make sure that whoever calls, you are very vocal that the flight change was involuntary due to a DL change in schedule and that the new itinerary doesn't work / you aren't happy with it.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
In my experience they are VERY accommodating when this stuff happens, but you need to have a clear request in mind.

As pointed above, DL metal is obviously easier for them to work with. Have also had relative success with them putting me on KLM. (AF and AZ much more complicated as they seem to have less control there)
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
In my experience they are VERY accommodating when this stuff happens, but you need to have a clear request in mind.

As pointed above, DL metal is obviously easier for them to work with. Have also had relative success with them putting me on KLM. (AF and AZ much more complicated as they seem to have less control there)
OP states this is an award. Thus partner flight will require inventory be available. DL metal they can override.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be helpful to know dates and flights. DL has 3x daily flights on ATL-AMS on their metal for most of September (except 9/6) including a 5PM departure that should provide for a longer connection at AMS (there is 1x daily on KL metal). It should be a relatively straightforward ask to drop the extra stop at JFK and get put on one of the ATL-AMS non-stops (there is also one at 6PM), but as noted above, it will be helpful to have the exact flight numbers in mind before making the request.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
OP states this is an award. Thus partner flight will require inventory be available. DL metal they can override.
I have had DL override KLM in the past
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I have had DL override KLM in the past
They can ask, but they can't force it. Only DoD IRROPS can they override space for awards.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.