Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC Mistakenly Used

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
GUC Mistakenly Used

Back in March I had a pile of 8 RUCs; and 4 GUCs when an agent used a GUC to upgrade me for a domestic flight. I only discovered this a few weeks ago when trying to use my 4 GUCs... The rep at the time understood it was clearly a mistake (what idiot would use a GUC, when they still had RUCs) and made it seem as though it would be a simple fix. Fast forward 3 weeks and I am still down a GUC... has anyone had this happen?

Incidentally, I was surprised that the lady did not fight back at all "oh you must have used the GUC, it's your fault" - and readily admitted that no sane person would have ever used a GUC, when they have a pile of RUCs - so kudos for that!!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do the GUCs and RUCs all have the same expiration date?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do the GUCs and RUCs all have the same expiration date?
Brilliant question - I just checked - I have 4 RUCs that Expire 12/31/2021; and the 4 GUCs expire on that same date...

I'm on the phone with another rep - she says that ticketing has said that once a certificate is used it can't be reissued - and it sounds like they can't do much.

Help!!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Brilliant question - I just checked - I have 4 RUCs that Expire 12/31/2021; and the 4 GUCs expire on that same date...

I'm on the phone with another rep - she says that ticketing has said that once a certificate is used it can't be reissued - and it sounds like they can't do much.

Help!!
HUCA. If no success right in. They can indeed reopen a certificate. In fact they allow you to do it now by policy if you change a ticket and no longer want it applied.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
HUCA. If no success right in. They can indeed reopen a certificate. In fact they allow you to do it now by policy if you change a ticket and no longer want it applied.
They fixed it!!! Thanks everyone
MSPeconomist, trooper and flyerCO like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Glad to hear it -- I had a similar issue where the agent used an RUC with a later date and used the RUC with the longer expiration date.

Subsequent agent was able to swap the RUCs and reticket it within 20 minutes with the ticket desk -- I was shocked
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are RUC's and GUC's and how do I earn them?
I'm a Platinum Medallion but I don't fly First Class or Comfort+ unless I'm upgraded there. Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Glad to hear it -- I had a similar issue where the agent used an RUC with a later date and used the RUC with the longer expiration date.

Subsequent agent was able to swap the RUCs and reticket it within 20 minutes with the ticket desk -- I was shocked
It's much easier when ticket hasn't been used. When ticket has been used it's a much bigger process as ticket has already been used to pay for a flight.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are RUC's and GUC's and how do I earn them?
I'm a Platinum Medallion but I don't fly First Class or Comfort+ unless I'm upgraded there. Thanks!
RUC's and GUC's are optional "Choice Benefits" that PM and DM members can select. Check this link out
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-benefits
and read the options under the Choice Benefits section.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Back in March I had a pile of 8 RUCs; and 4 GUCs when an agent used a GUC to upgrade me for a domestic flight. I only discovered this a few weeks ago when trying to use my 4 GUCs... The rep at the time understood it was clearly a mistake (what idiot would use a GUC, when they still had RUCs) and made it seem as though it would be a simple fix. Fast forward 3 weeks and I am still down a GUC... has anyone had this happen?

Incidentally, I was surprised that the lady did not fight back at all "oh you must have used the GUC, it's your fault" - and readily admitted that no sane person would have ever used a GUC, when they have a pile of RUCs - so kudos for that!!
I had a GUC clear LAX DCA last week (I had asked for a RUC UG). I looked at my wallet after receiving the email of the waitlist clearing. I called and the agent re-cleared the UG, reinstated a GUC and used a RUC instead.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Give the agent the numbers of the GUC or RUC you want to use

The way to prevent this mishap is the tell the agent the number for the instrument you want to use. It is also very easy for an agent to apply the LAST expiring GUC or RUC instead of the first expiring one. You have to give both the number itself and a control number for the instrument. Both numbers appear in each GUC and RUC in your wallet (whatever they call it now) on Delta.com.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Frankly it's pathetic that after all this time we STILL have to call an agent in the first place to use these.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Help!!
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Glad they got this fixed for you. For anyone else in a similar boat reading this thread -- either HUCA or insist on a supervisor. Like flyerCO mentions they 100% can re-open a certificate. They just re-opened one for me last week (RUC had cleared and already been pulled for a flight in August but my travel plans changed and I needed it to be applied to the new ticket -- took a few minutes but they got it done).
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Warning: Check the dates of the certificates being used

I'm mildly annoyed. I just looked at my certificates and discovered I had a RUC expire 1/31/24 while I've already used two that expire 1/31/25. I emailed customer service this AM that said "too bad, so sad". I replied saying that I, as the customer, have no idea what RUC is being applied to a ticket and I should not be held accountable for an error made by a Delta agent, and then politely asked for reconsideration or escalation.

I consider myself fairly attentive to details, but I never imagined I'd have to pay attention to every single certificate being used by every agent. Quite a dissatisfier.
BigFishDave and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2.3MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by emma dog
I'm mildly annoyed. I just looked at my certificates and discovered I had a RUC expire 1/31/24 while I've already used two that expire 1/31/25. I emailed customer service this AM that said "too bad, so sad". I replied saying that I, as the customer, have no idea what RUC is being applied to a ticket and I should not be held accountable for an error made by a Delta agent, and then politely asked for reconsideration or escalation.

I consider myself fairly attentive to details, but I never imagined I'd have to pay attention to every single certificate being used by every agent. Quite a dissatisfier.
Read reply #11 above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.