Search

DL suspending service into PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
DL suspending service into PVG

In the spirit of full disclosure, I made mention of this in the China travel forum. It is not my intent to cross-post but, since this directly involves DL operations, I thought a more substantive mention was relevant here. I have not seen this discussed elsewhere in this forum. Mods... forgive me if I have erred.

After not being able to make a reservation on-line for a round trip from DTW to PVG, I called the Diamond line. After searching the matter, two different agents came back to tell me that DL has ceased operations into China for now. There was a mention that service might resume on a seasonal basis in August.

There is no announcement on the DL web site. An itinerary search results in a not terribly helpful error message stating that there is no flight available on one of the selected days (no matter what days are selected).

Perhaps this decision was implemented yesterday and the website designers have not caught up with current events. Otherwise, it is a bit surprising that DL has not proactively shared this information with the flying public.
sky_priority likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder why. Fares were high and the ICN turnaround seemed to be working.

UA apparently also does an immediate turnaround from ICN. It will be interesting to see whether the UA flights are suspended too.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Interesting. It is still showing on time for DL289 tonight SEA-ICN-PVG. D1 is $10k for purchase. Same for DL283 tomorrow DTW-ICN-PVG. Economy is $3530.

Remember that both DL283 and DL289 are only operated once a week now.

Last edited by lonelygod; Jun 24, 2021 at 3:04 pm
Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder why. Fares were high and the ICN turnaround seemed to be working.

UA apparently also does an immediate turnaround from ICN. It will be interesting to see whether the UA flights are suspended too.
And AC has been doing this since last year. Flight number is the same. Tech stop at ICN, crew change and AFAIK, short time on the ground in PVG. AC has a lot of cargo flights into ICN so I assume crews can DH if needed.

Perhaps DL does not have the pax load (or cargo below deck) to make it all work.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SEA and DTW flights via ICN are loaded in the system through Sep. 6th. After that, the flights no longer showing in the schedule and it appears that DL is dropping all service to PVG. I'm assuming that's what OP is referring to.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I know DL, AA, UA have all raised issues over Chinese quarantine rules for aircrew being one-sided. Ie they don't apply to same extent to crew for MU, CZ, CA, etc...Curious if this is what is happening.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by xliioper
SEA and DTW flights via ICN are loaded in the system through Sep. 6th. After that, the flights no longer showing in the schedule and it appears that DL is dropping all service to PVG. I'm assuming that's what OP is referring to.
I was originally looking for an early August departure and mid-September return.

I have been searching for Friday departures (for DL 283) and Sunday returns (for DL 284).

Even when checking "My dates are flexible" and checking various date intervals, I get a seemingly random mix of messages stating that "flights were not available on at least one of your selected dates", "no returns were found for your search", or "there was a problem processing your request."

Looking at one-ways, I can find outbound flights through August and return flights on 8/6, 8/25, 8/27, 9/1 and 9/8... but nothing after. All other dates showing "not offered".

I have had two Diamond agents, after extended consultation with supervisors, tell me that there were unable to pull up any itineraries for September returns for sale and that they were told that DL was temporarily withdrawing from the market.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EF timetable search is still showing flights loaded in the schedule (as does DL Flight Status search), but the fare buckets on flights are mostly zero'd out at this point as they appear to be preparing to cancel all remaining flights. They will likely be pulled from schedule this weekend.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 25, 2021 at 4:24 am
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well thats an interesting decision... I guess the supposed business traveler market that some people were saying would come roaring back this summer/fall is not occurring.

Hard to travel international for biz when there are still piles of restrictions in many other countries.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only reliable way to get to Shanghai these days is via SFO. Unfortunately it’s not on DL but it seems that both UA and the Chinese government are making sure the Apple express runs unencumbered.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens to UA crew upon arrival in mainland China? Is UA flying nonstop? (I assume that the mainland Chinese airlines are doing nonstops.)
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The only reliable way to get to Shanghai these days is via SFO. Unfortunately it’s not on DL but it seems that both UA and the Chinese government are making sure the Apple express runs unencumbered.
What happens to UA crew upon arrival in mainland China? Is UA flying nonstop? (I assume that the mainland Chinese airlines are doing nonstops.)
UA flights also stop in ICN. Likely doing the same thing as DL with regard to the crew (swap in ICN and stay on board in PVG.) AA flights also stop in ICN.

Just checked AC, they're also stopping in ICN.

Looks like MU flies to JFK twice weekly until the end of July and then their flights fall off too. Doesn't look like they stop anywhere.

Last edited by Weekend Away; Jun 25, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
All US carriers are doing a stop somewhere . Passenger carriers, ICN, cargo ANC is preferred.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
February 4, 2022 start of the Beijing Winter Olympics is not that far away. Will be really interesting to see how (and if) that goes on..
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:46 pm

I'm a bit surprised so many carriers are stopping at ICN. I would have expected some to prefer NRT/HND, although perhaps ICN has lower landing fees, etc. Of course for DL, ICN makes sense due to the close partnership with KE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.