Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Lines/Waits at LAX T2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I can't see any situation where someone with pre and/or clear would want to go to T1.5 instead of just going through T2 unless maybe they're connecting from WN
If you're walking to the airport, for example from an airport hotel such as the Hyatt Regency (former Concourse Hotel) or (farther away) Gateway Sheraton, have your boarding pass and no bags to check, why not try to use T1.5 to avoid the crowds at T2?

Some people concerned with personal security point out that one should go through airport security and get airside ASAP when entering any airport; landside areas are considered to be more vulnerable, at least theoretically, and one especially wants to avoid crowds. COVID-19 is another reason to avoid being trapped waiting in (especially indoor) crowded areas in airports or elsewhere.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
So don’t jump on this 1.5 solution just yet. And y’all are welcome for my sacrifice today 😎..
Thanks for taking one for the team. I agree on the Clear front at T2. They are efficient and there is almost never a wait. I think one time I had to wait for a machine and one time they were holding people downstairs. Even then when I got up to the top of the escalator it wasn't that busy, so no clue what the deal was.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Apparently the poster over in the A.net thread said in a update they had to close off the T1.5-T2 connector because inspectors found minor “cosmetic issues” that needed to be fixed. Connector should be open by 10/25.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Yesterday it was still closed. I went to T1 and to gate 21 in T2 and asked employees about it. Both said it is expected to open today, but both were skeptical.
https://www.flyertalk.com/g/picture/22892851

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Oct 25, 2021 at 12:47 pm
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
According to the LAX A.net thread, an LAX employee chimed in and said DL has contract employees that will funnel pax to T1.5 at peak times and even run the TBIT airside shuttle from the new T1.5 bus gate to relive pressure off T2.
I just reflected on this point. Interestingly, there did look like there was signage for a new “1.5 bus gate” if you will that said it was for 100-200 gates (TB). Interesting, because I don’t see the point if the connector to T2 is open as it connects to T2 literally right at the entrance to the existing TB shuttle loading area.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:24 am

I just reflected on this point. Interestingly, there did look like there was signage for a new “1.5 bus gate” if you will that said it was for 100-200 gates (TB). Interesting, because I don’t see the point if the connector to T2 is open as it connects to T2 literally right at the entrance to the existing TB shuttle loading area.
It’s to allow for a shorter walk and to relieve pressure off the T2 shuttle. The T1.5-TBIT shuttle would be for LAX O/D pax that clear TSA at T1.5 and then go directly down to the T1.5 bus gate to board the shuttle straight to TBIT. It would relieve crowding off the T2 shuttles to be used by more connecting pax as well as the T2 TSA checkpoint for T2.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
It’s to allow for a shorter walk and to relieve pressure off the T2 shuttle. The T1.5-TBIT shuttle would be for LAX O/D pax that clear TSA at T1.5 and then go directly down to the T1.5 bus gate to board the shuttle straight to TBIT. It would relieve crowding off the T2 shuttles to be used by more connecting pax as well as the T2 TSA checkpoint for T2.
I guess, but it’s maybe a 2 (3?) minute walk? So close that it might even make sense that this opens up to the same area downstairs where the buses load. Or maybe it’s a replacement loading area to be used longer term after the existing area goes away (or back to CBP usage)?

Triggers another thought… is the plan for CBP to come back to T2? Hope so.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:25 pm

T1.5-T2 connector should be officially open

The LAX a.net poster is reporting the T1.5-T2 connector is officially up and running. Hopefully someone on the ground in LAX can confirm this to this thread.

I believe the T2 CBP station should come back online when the new T2/3 headhouse opens up. Right now the old T2 CBP facility has the only operational baggage carousels in T2 due to construction taking offline the old domestic carousels.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:06 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I guess, but it’s maybe a 2 (3?) minute walk? So close that it might even make sense that this opens up to the same area downstairs where the buses load. Or maybe it’s a replacement loading area to be used longer term after the existing area goes away (or back to CBP usage)?

Technically the place outside where the buses pull up to for T2 is different than where the T1.5--TBIT buses pull up to (maybe about 100 feet). When DL was running both bus gate dropoffs and TBIT buses at the same spot, buses could easily get backed up. I think it makes most sense to consolidate the TBIT buses at the T1.5 bus stop, and continue the DL bus gate dropoffs at the T2 gate.

From what I can tell, there's going to be a need for a while for a T1.5--TBIT bus, since several carriers (Allegiant and Sun Country I think) have checkin counters at T1.5 but operate out of TBIT gates. Maybe that's not needed once there's an airside T3-TBIT hallways, or TBIT is expanded with more checkin counters, but that feels like a long ways a way.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:56 pm

Just passed through T2 with a TB departure gate. Connector is open. I didn’t use the 1.5 security this time after my last experience, but all should be good at this point.

But as suspected, the original DL “bus gate” is gone, and everyone is being directed to the new T1.5 “bus gate”. It’s a much more inviting area as far as bus gates go, so it’s all good by me. But this isn’t an “overflow” bus gate - it’s a replacement for the prior T2 one.
wrp96, MCO Flyer and ryw like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:30 pm

Just passed through T2 with a TB departure gate. Connector is open. I didn’t use the 1.5 security this time after my last experience, but all should be good at this point.

But as suspected, the original DL “bus gate” is gone, and everyone is being directed to the new T1.5 “bus gate”. It’s a much more inviting area as far as bus gates go, so it’s all good by me. But this isn’t an “overflow” bus gate - it’s a replacement for the prior T2 one.
Good to hear. So it sounds like unless you want to visit the SC, if flying out of TBIT with checked luggage one should just clear TSA at 1.5 and board the shuttle from there without even dealing with T2. Obviously if carry-on only just clear at TBIT.
El Boocho and HeadInTheClouds like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
630AM flight to MCO for a 2 day stay to check on business. Got notification gate change from TBIT to Terminal 2. Great, I can leave a little later...dropped off at T2 at 6:05am(it's ok, I have clear/precheck). Line for Clear wrapped around the edge, with around 20 people in it....they let 5 people up at a time..."sir, are you a clear member? No, I'm flying first class. Sir you have to use the sky priority line. Why can't I use this line, I'm in first class?!?!" Finally my turn and it's already 6:15. Figured I'm screwed so why not. The two people who were in front of me said they were clear but instead were just pre-check. They had two baggage screener open so made it through in 2 minutes. Arrived at gate at 620. It's closed. Sent text meeting canceled. Ubered home.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Earlier in this thread I advocated DL temporarily use the underutilized Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC). Having taken an AF out of that thing recently I now change my mind. The walk is crazy long. I’m not just talking the under-apron tunnel with the moving sidewalks, but in addition to that there’s a long non-moving sidewalk passage and turn after that and another after that which leads you to the escalators. One on the terminal level, it can be a crazy long walk to your gate- again no moving sidewalks.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by bsagator
630AM flight to MCO for a 2 day stay to check on business. Got notification gate change from TBIT to Terminal 2. Great, I can leave a little later...dropped off at T2 at 6:05am(it's ok, I have clear/precheck). Line for Clear wrapped around the edge, with around 20 people in it....they let 5 people up at a time..."sir, are you a clear member? No, I'm flying first class. Sir you have to use the sky priority line. Why can't I use this line, I'm in first class?!?!" Finally my turn and it's already 6:15. Figured I'm screwed so why not. The two people who were in front of me said they were clear but instead were just pre-check. They had two baggage screener open so made it through in 2 minutes. Arrived at gate at 620. It's closed. Sent text meeting canceled. Ubered home.
So curb to gate in 15 minutes at a busy time of day at a major airport? That’s pretty good for any airport. Glad to hear things are getting back under control.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 11:17 am

That’s awesome.

Line is clearly for CLEAR and not Sky Priority.

Originally Posted by bsagator
Line for Clear wrapped around the edge, with around 20 people in it....they let 5 people up at a time..."sir, are you a clear member? No, I'm flying first class. Sir you have to use the sky priority line. Why can't I use this line, I'm in first class?!?!"
Arrived at gate at 620. It's closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.