Crazy Lines/Waits at LAX T2

Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Crazy Lines/Waits at LAX T2

Just dropped a friend off at T4, and there are hundreds of people queued up outside of the terminal. Never seen anything like it. The line stretches from the SP entrance all the way to the construction on T3.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Lots of leisure travelers with checked luggage and the load that would normally be shared between T2 and T3 is being concentrated into T2. It was like this at 0715 this on Saturday June 12; here's what I posted about my experience:

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Just as a datapoint, the lines at T2 this past Saturday morning around 0715 were pretty brutal. I'd estimate there were at least 20-30 people in line for curbside luggage check and about 10-15 people in the Sky Priority checkin area. I didn't take a long look at the general checkin line inside but the queue wrapped at least four times. +1 and I were flying D1 to JFK and checking bags so we went to the D1 area and there were three people in front of us with only one agent working. A second agent came over to help, so I think we waited about five minutes to get checked in. Our flight was departing from Gate 132 and I heard the agent advise the couple in front of us to WALK from T2 to TBIT because the security lines were so bad at T2 and we received the same advise. We decided to take a look at the T2 line ourselves and while they are annoyingly sharing the PreCheck line with general passengers, it wasn't that bad and once we split off into PreCheck there was only one person in front of us; CLEAR was completely empty. We were advised at the Sky Club to give ourselves 30 minutes for the bus ride to TBIT but we shaved that a bit and went to the bus gate about 15 minutes before boarding. We walked onto a bus and waited a bit for it to be filled with passengers before motoring over to TBIT and made it to the gate just as they were starting pre-boarding.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 21, 2021 at 10:18 am
Old Jun 21, 2021, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bsagator
Just dropped a friend off at T4, and there are hundreds of people queued up outside of the terminal. Never seen anything like it. The line stretches from the SP entrance all the way to the construction on T3.
SOP for Delta at LAX, an absolute cluster. I wont fly Delta to/from LA anymore because of how big of a disaster their ground ops are there. One of the worst experiences in the country.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
SOP for Delta at LAX, an absolute cluster. I wont fly Delta to/from LA anymore because of how big of a disaster their ground ops are there. One of the worst experiences in the country.
In fairness, travel rebounded quicker than expected. They also wisely used the lull to expedite the changes needed at LAX. Yes, I avoid LSX myself on DL currently. However its not like DL just has screwed it up and won't fix it. They're in state they currently are because they are in fact trying to fix LAX.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
In fairness, travel rebounded quicker than expected. They also wisely used the lull to expedite the changes needed at LAX. Yes, I avoid LSX myself on DL currently. However its not like DL just has screwed it up and won't fix it. They're in state they currently are because they are in fact trying to fix LAX.
Indeed it did, however even back in September this was an issue at T2. If they were better about accurately telling you where your flight was departing from, they could send a large number of these people over to TBIT to clear security in the empty terminal there rather than trying to send far too many people through T2.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Indeed it did, however even back in September this was an issue at T2. If they were better about accurately telling you where your flight was departing from, they could send a large number of these people over to TBIT to clear security in the empty terminal there rather than trying to send far too many people through T2.
I think issue is till shortly before they're not sure what departs from TBIT. Also it's a good walk from security at TBIT to DL gates there. I'm curious if they could temporarily use some gates at new TBIT concourse. All HNL/International flights, plus say JFK depart from there. Of course issue then is no lounges are open in TBIT.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
The other issue with LAX is that T2 is just too small for the size aircraft DL is bringing in. Two weeks ago came in on a full A350 from ATL and we parked at 25. Just getting out of the jet bridge was a challenge because the boarding area was packed with people waiting to board.

Curbside I think some people get hung up in the line to check backs curbside instead of heading inside. I witnessed this leaving LAX, where dozens were waiting, not realizing what line they were waiting in. We went around everyone down to the SP checkin inside, which had no line at all. The tiny D1 checkin area was mobbed.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
The other issue with LAX is that T2 is just too small for the size aircraft DL is bringing in. Two weeks ago came in on a full A350 from ATL and we parked at 25. Just getting out of the jet bridge was a challenge because the boarding area was packed with people waiting to board.

Curbside I think some people get hung up in the line to check backs curbside instead of heading inside. I witnessed this leaving LAX, where dozens were waiting, not realizing what line they were waiting in. We went around everyone down to the SP checkin inside, which had no line at all. The tiny D1 checkin area was mobbed.
Even if temporary (there's space right now) there should be a checkin at TBIT. Would help immensely.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Even if temporary (there's space right now) there should be a checkin at TBIT. Would help immensely.
So a colleague of mine ran into an issue with this a few weeks ago. 745a LAX-DCA flight. Security at TBIT didn't open. until 7am (he was told), so he had to checkin at T2 and take the shuttle over to TBIT.
Not sure if this has changed.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
So a colleague of mine ran into an issue with this a few weeks ago. 745a LAX-DCA flight. Security at TBIT didn't open. until 7am (he was told), so he had to checkin at T2 and take the shuttle over to TBIT.
Not sure if this has changed.
The irony is by the time you do all that it would be much faster and easier to just do OLCI and wait until TIBT security opened at 7am. If you're flying out of TBIT the only real reason to go to T2 is if you have to check a bag.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I believe I heard that LAX opened up the T1.5 connector last month which included a new Security Checkpoint and a connection to Terminal 2 post-security so that could be another option for clearing TSA.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:06 am

Yup. Had to fly in there recently because it was the only option into the LA area from my origin city. Its been two years since I have seen people so densely packed into a space. It took forever and a day to pickup the rental car. Still was faster than driving though. There is only one airport in the U.S. that is worse.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I believe I heard that LAX opened up the T1.5 connector last month which included a new Security Checkpoint and a connection to Terminal 2 post-security so that could be another option for clearing TSA.
T1.5? Not sure what that is.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
https://www.lawa.org/lawa-our-lax/en...ax-terminal-15
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
It’s a new headhouse building that was built between the empty space of T1 and T2. A new TSA checkpoint along with more ticketing and baggage claim space was added in this new headhouse. However after reading the opening day press release, apparently the post security corridor to T2 won’t be ready for a few more months until the Fall.

https://airport-world.com/terminal-1...ional-airport/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.