Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where are worthwhile places to fly to from SFO with Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 1:12 am
Original Poster

I purchased multiple $50 GCs using my Amex Platinum $200 travel credit a couple years ago and received in the mail of unclaimed property which reminded me I need to use the GCs or let them know to still hold them for me. When I made the GC purchases, I didn't realize flights from SFO to my hometown in San Diego was so expensive with Delta (~$600) and not practical since it connects to SLC and the travel time would be 5 hours instead of 1.5 hrs w/ direct flight from United which would cost me only ~$300 RT! I checked flights from SFO to Las Vegas and it's still ~$600! So are there any places worth traveling to from SFO or will it all be more expensive than United or any of the other carriers since Delta doesn't have a hub in SFO?
Old May 4, 2021, 4:12 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Suggest you use Google Flights with some dates you are open to travel; use SFO (or OAK and/or SJC if it works for you) as the origin and leave the destination blank. You can then filter the results by carrier/alliance, cabin, and price. https://www.google.com/travel/flights

I saw some decent fares to SEA for a random weekend in June.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Virtually everything from SFO is going to connect at either LAX, SEA, SLC, ATL, DTW, MSP, or JFK.

I would suggest you plan a trip to one of those places (SLC is a short drive to the mountains which is great in winter or summer and SEA is a great place to visit) or you’ll have to put up with connecting.

The Google Flights suggestion is a good one and the easiest way to find other cities that might be cheap with a connection
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The longer haul routes will start seeing higher fares as we get into busy summer travel season. The shorter haul ones with decent competition don't vary quite as much. SEA and SLC suggestions above are good. Although SLC being more of a DL hostage hub will tend to have higher fares. This can also be seen in it's Main Cabin upfare charge from Basic Economy (currently +$50 vs +$30 for SFO-SEA and SFO-LAX fares).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM
Whoa, does the $50 GC trick still trigger the Amex Plat travel credit? (Sorry if this is off topic)
Old May 4, 2021, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by itsabravenewworld
Whoa, does the $50 GC trick still trigger the Amex Plat travel credit? (Sorry if this is off topic)
Buying a GC has not worked for the travel credit since June 2019. However, if you already have a GC, then using a GC + paying the rest on the Plat is one of the current methods that does work.

See this thread in the AMEX forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html
itsabravenewworld likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Buying a GC has not worked for the travel credit since June 2019.
Thanks!
Old May 4, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Codeshares on Aeromexico can be a good option if you want to take a trip to Mexico. There are nonstop flights to MEX, which is fantastic to visit once Covid calms down, and maybe seasonal to PVR though I can't remember.

Where do you want to go? Seattle and New York are both great places to visit. Minneapolis is lovely in the summer. It all just depends on what you want.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
How about Seattle

With competitive pricing with AS, I'd give a vote to SEA for a $59 BE, $89 Main.

Jiburi
Old May 4, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles (Platinum), Hertz Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hotel Tonight Level 10 Statuses.
Originally Posted by Duke787
Virtually everything from SFO is going to connect at either LAX, SEA, SLC, ATL, DTW, MSP, or JFK.

I would suggest you plan a trip to one of those places (SLC is a short drive to the mountains which is great in winter or summer and SEA is a great place to visit) or you’ll have to put up with connecting.

The Google Flights suggestion is a good one and the easiest way to find other cities that might be cheap with a connection
With a really nice and large club though. SFO as a DL station in terms of size reminds me a lot of EWR actually.
Duke787 likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
the SJC-LAS flights were pretty cheap prior to covid. not sure how they're pricing out now
Old May 4, 2021, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gitismatty
the SJC-LAS flights were pretty cheap prior to covid. not sure how they're pricing out now
Unfortunately IIRC that route was an early COVID casualty.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:41 pm

Go to Detroit. Seriously. Hit up the Henry Ford museum. Actually thats all I can think of right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.