Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Accelerates Airbus Deliveries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by rogo
That I don't post about it doesn't mean I don't feel the difference. The A220 is sought out for its width.
Ditto the E170/175. That's one of my favorite planes to fly because of the seat width.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:17 am

I'm all for blind tests to find out if conventional wisdom actually holds up, but starting with the hypothesis that people can't tell the difference in an inch of seat width when we're talking about seats that most moderately-overweight-to-slightly-obese americans can barely fit into to begin with is pretty bold.
rogo and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I can definitely tell when I am on and Airbus versus a Boeing narrowbody. The 757 is the best experience: Door 2L boarding makes for an especially nice experience because you don't have a ton of Y passengers going past the F cabin. The mid-cabin lav also makes a big difference in making 2 lavs available for F. It's too bad that Boeing didn't invest in a refreshed 757 product. The A319, A320, and A321 are next best but they are more spacious and less likely to have cramped lavs. The new configs of the 737 -- hard and narrow seats, tiny lavs -- are just miserable.
rogo, MSPeconomist, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I The 757 is the best experience: Door 2L boarding makes for an especially nice experience because you don't have a ton of Y passengers going past the F cabin. The mid-cabin lav also makes a big difference in making 2 lavs available for F.
These, and maybe the outstanding performance with the big engines, are the only reasons FT'ers like the 757. And they are good ones---best narrowbody at separating F from Y. Daze
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Don't the 757, A321, A320, 739, and some 738s all use the same IFE system and screens?
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, they do! Only 757, A321, 739, and 738s aircraft. But there is no IFE system on A320s.
Originally Posted by aznichiro115
That's not correct, there are screens on A320s, the only mainline jets that do not are 717s. Some 757-200s and 737-800s have smaller screens as they were the first ones done.
I think the only 757s left with the small screens are some of the 75S fleet. Pretty sure all the standard 75D versions have the usual system.
I feel like when I flew last summer I had a 757 on leg A and an A321 on leg B and the IFE was different. Maybe I'm wrong. I know the mood lighting on A321 makes a difference, so maybe that's what I'm remembering?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
One major difference between the 737 and 757 is that the forward lav on the 737 is where the fuselage has already begun tapering significantly and makes the lav incredibly cramped. I also believe the lavs in Y are smaller on the 737s than on the 757s as well.

Additionally, at least per SeatGuru, the DL 757Ds have a seat pitch of 30-32" while the 757S's have a pitch of 31-33". Seat pitch on the 737-900s in Y is 30-31." C+ on the 757S is 35" (34" on the 757D) while it's 34" on the 737-900. For those of us who are tall, every inch of pitch helps in some of these varying configurations.
But, ultimately, seat pitch is at DL's discretion. They can increase seat pitch by removing a row of seats...
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I think the only 757s left with the small screens are some of the 75S fleet. Pretty sure all the standard 75D versions have the usual system.
No, the 75S (which are the D1-equipped planes) have the latest PTV screens, as do the 75Ds (the bulk of the domestic 757s). I believe the 75H are the ones you are referring to which still have the smaller screens (like a portion of the 738 fleet); the main difference (besides the screens) between the 75H and the 75D is that the 75H has ETOPS and thus can be used for Hawaii and some Europe (like Iceland) routes. The 75Hs were also previously used on those Japan-Guam/Saipan routes as well.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I’ve flown in Y on a 9 across 777 (DL) and in Y on a 10 across 777 (Omni Air). The 9 across had a seat width of 18.5”. The 10 across had a seat width of 17.3”. 10 across in Y on a 777 is one of the most miserable experiences flying there is. There absolutely is a noticeable difference especially when the armrest is also narrower but that isn’t captured in the “seat width” figure. Seat width is measured as the space between the armrests, not from the center point of each armrest so even two seats that both advertise the same seat width could actually have different shoulder room because of armrests that may be an inch or two wider than the other seat type.
I used to fly a lot on AF's 777, for short rides such as CDG-JFK and CDG-DXB where Business was not an option, the experience was indeed miserable with 10 seats across. Moved to the US and flew mainly DL A330s / 772. But on one occasion had to fly an AF772 to CDG and the difference was noticeable.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I used to fly a lot on AF's 777, for short rides such as CDG-JFK and CDG-DXB where Business was not an option, the experience was indeed miserable with 10 seats across. Moved to the US and flew mainly DL A330s / 772. But on one occasion had to fly an AF772 to CDG and the difference was noticeable.
When was J not an option on AF 777s? As far as I’m aware they’ve never operated all-Y 777s.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
When was J not an option on AF 777s? As far as I’m aware they’ve never operated all-Y 777s.
I assume he means it wasn't an option based on his budget
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My guess is it was either too expensive for OP's budget if self-paying or the flight wasn't long enough to qualify for J based on OP's employer's or client's travel policy (i.e. the travel policies of whomever was paying).
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I assume he means it wasn't an option based on his budget
My guess is it was either too expensive for OP's budget if self-paying or the flight wasn't long enough to qualify for J based on OP's employer's or client's travel policy (i.e. the travel policies of whomever was paying).
Corporate policy was 9+ hours for J, so for short flights I had to stick with Y.

AF did operate a 14-J configuration between CDG and some places (mostly Caribbean islands) with old seats and very cramped Y seats, they packed 470 passengers in a 77W. I took the flight from SDQ to CDG once in Y for personal travel, one of the biggest travel mistakes I've ever made as it was quite expensive for such miserable experience. For $400-500 more I was able to fly CDG-JFK-SDQ in J.
cmd320, DCAhome and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.