Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Upgrade to C+

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Denied Upgrade to C+

I recently flew from JFK to LAX on a main cabin ticket on a refurbished 767-400. As this is a domestic route, Delta is marketing its Premium Select seats as the Comfort+ Cabin and it’s C+ seats as Preferred Main Cabin Seats. This is very clear on any seat map for this route when booking your ticket. As a Gold Medallion I was able to select a Preferred Main Cabin Seat (which is really a C+ seat) when I booked my ticket and eligible for an upgrade to the C+ Cabin.

I was #3 on the upgrade list to C+ and at the gate the 2 people ahead of me cleared into C+ which meant I was now #1 on the list. I asked at the gate if a seat opens up in C+ if they will still upgrade me and they said they would before I boarded the plane. When I boarded I saw the gate agent then go up to someone in C+ and move the individual to the D1 cabin. I asked the flight attendant why I wasn’t being upgraded as I was next on the list and she said she has no control over seat assignments (which I know she doesn’t) and she started communicating with the gate agent via their app. He then came onboard and told me those seats are in the Premium Select Cabin and neither I nor anyone else was ineligible to upgrade to those seats and told me I am already sitting in C+ and pointed to the embroidery on my seat that said Comfort+ like I’m an idiot. He said no one could upgrade into those seats unless you paid to sit there.

I explained to him that this was a domestic flight, explained to him how 2 people head of me already were upgraded into that cabin at the gate, how the seat map literally shows that is designated and marketed as the C+ cabin for this domestic flight, and how a premium select cabin does not exist for domestic routes at this time (he was actually claiming a premium select cabin class exists). I told him I would file a complaint with Delta and he said “please do” so of course I did. There were three sets of 2 seaters (the cabin has a 2x2x2 layout) left completely left open after the guy got moved to D1 so in my opinion not only I should have been upgraded when the person in C+ got upgraded to D1 but potentially the 2 people after were may have been entitled to an upgrade. The flight attendant herself seemed a bit perplexed why I wasn’t upgraded but I know she has no control over this.

On my return flight I was flying on the 767-400 again and got upgraded correctly into the C+ cabin at the gate (which is really a premium select seat). As this is a long flight sitting in a premium select hard product seat (which is technically the C+ cabin for the aircraft) makes a huge difference… this wasn’t some 2 hour flight…

In such a situation is there really anything else I could have / should have done differently, or is my only option really just to submit a complaint after the flight? I get the feeling that some of these gate agents think they are a king given an encounter I saw someone on a return flight I had from MIA had with her upgrade and she seemed to be left at the mercy of the gate agent too with the flight attendants having no control over anything (I have no idea if she was right or wrong in her case). Anyone else ever been in a similar situation?
Old Apr 16, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KaitlynPoints
I recently flew from JFK to LAX on a main cabin ticket on a refurbished 767-400. As this is a domestic route, Delta is marketing its Premium Select seats as the Comfort+ Cabin and it’s C+ seats as Preferred Main Cabin Seats. This is very clear on any seat map for this route when booking your ticket. As a Gold Medallion I was able to select a Preferred Main Cabin Seat (which is really a C+ seat) when I booked my ticket and eligible for an upgrade to the C+ Cabin.

I was #3 on the upgrade list to C+ and at the gate the 2 people ahead of me cleared into C+ which meant I was now #1 on the list. I asked at the gate if a seat opens up in C+ if they will still upgrade me and they said they would before I boarded the plane. When I boarded I saw the gate agent then go up to someone in C+ and move the individual to the D1 cabin. I asked the flight attendant why I wasn’t being upgraded as I was next on the list and she said she has no control over seat assignments (which I know she doesn’t) and she started communicating with the gate agent via their app. He then came onboard and told me those seats are in the Premium Select Cabin and neither I nor anyone else was ineligible to upgrade to those seats and told me I am already sitting in C+ and pointed to the embroidery on my seat that said Comfort+ like I’m an idiot. He said no one could upgrade into those seats unless you paid to sit there.

I explained to him that this was a domestic flight, explained to him how 2 people head of me already were upgraded into that cabin at the gate, how the seat map literally shows that is designated and marketed as the C+ cabin for this domestic flight, and how a premium select cabin does not exist for domestic routes at this time (he was actually claiming a premium select cabin class exists). I told him I would file a complaint with Delta and he said “please do” so of course I did. There were three sets of 2 seaters (the cabin has a 2x2x2 layout) left completely left open after the guy got moved to D1 so in my opinion not only I should have been upgraded when the person in C+ got upgraded to D1 but potentially the 2 people after were may have been entitled to an upgrade. The flight attendant herself seemed a bit perplexed why I wasn’t upgraded but I know she has no control over this.

On my return flight I was flying on the 767-400 again and got upgraded correctly into the C+ cabin at the gate (which is really a premium select seat). As this is a long flight sitting in a premium select hard product seat (which is technically the C+ cabin for the aircraft) makes a huge difference… this wasn’t some 2 hour flight…

In such a situation is there really anything else I could have / should have done differently, or is my only option really just to submit a complaint after the flight? I get the feeling that some of these gate agents think they are a king given an encounter I saw someone on a return flight I had from MIA had with her upgrade and she seemed to be left at the mercy of the gate agent too with the flight attendants having no control over anything (I have no idea if she was right or wrong in her case). Anyone else ever been in a similar situation?
Ask for a redcoat. However this really should be done before boarding.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:29 pm

Although I have often seen people pulled up to F after boarding, I don't think I have ever seen anybody pulled up to C+. Not saying its right, just the reality and you learn from these experiences. There is a saying you board, you lose. In the future, if you are #1 on the upgrade list, always talk the GA before boarding and asking if they will come on board and pull you up if a seat becomes available. Otherwise, wait until everyone has boarded and ask if there are any vacant seats.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I had a similar situation a few weeks ago on an ATL-SEA segment (I had bought my ticket two days before departure and both F and C+ were zeroed out).

As we all know Delta holds back two C+ seats (usually in row 10) for ADA purposes, and releases them at the gate if no eligible pax need them. I was #3 on the UG list for C+ (and #6 on the list for F). The two pax in front of me were UG'd to C+, leaving me at #1 for 0 seats. I boarded. Once on board, it turned out that there was a no show in F, and the GA came on board and pulled a gentleman out of C+ and seated him in F. The GA didn't come back to me and invite me to sit in C+. As I had a good coach seat (the exit row seat on the 739 with no seat immediately in front (21F)), I didn't complain, and proceeded to sleep for pretty much the entire trip.

The moral of the story is that if you want to get upgraded to C+ and there are seats available but the GA hasn't upgraded you, you need to go up to the podium and talk to the GA. Otherwise, the C+ upgrade won't happen.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The thread title is incorrect. OP was denied an upgrade. On a domestic flight, the seating sold as PS is dealt with as C+, but OP was already in C+. Thus, no need to move them from C+ to C+. While the GA was factually incorrect, e.g., there was no upfare for the C+ seat in what would otherwise be PS, none of this should be dealt with onboard, at the last second (post boarding), it's entirely the GA's discretion as to whether further changes are processed.

Here OP would not have been on an UG list because they were already in C+ and apparently not headed for F.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The thread title is incorrect. OP was denied an upgrade. On a domestic flight, the seating sold as PS is dealt with as C+, but OP was already in C+. Thus, no need to move them from C+ to C+. While the GA was factually incorrect, e.g., there was no upfare for the C+ seat in what would otherwise be PS, none of this should be dealt with onboard, at the last second (post boarding), it's entirely the GA's discretion as to whether further changes are processed.

Here OP would not have been on an UG list because they were already in C+ and apparently not headed for F.
I think you're missing something. On an aircraft with PS and C+ when operating domestic flights the C+ seats are treated as part of main cabin and PS seats are treated as C+.

Despite sitting in a seat that said C+, OP was simply in a "premium" main cabin seat.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I don't see how my title is incorrect if I was denied an upgrade to the C+ Cabin when my seat designated as Main Cabin for that flight (perhaps calling it "Denied Upgrade into C+ Cabin" is better?). I was on a waitlist for the C+ cabin and #1 for the C+ cabin after 2 people already cleared into that cabin ahead of me. If you look at the seat map for the 767-400 for this route on Delta's website perhaps you will understand my situation better and what I was trying describe (for example flight DL302 tomorrow from JFK to LAX). I was in seat 31 and #1 to upgrade into the Comfort+ Cabin which was rows 20-23 for this flight and a seat opened up once on board...

I received a C+ upgrade on my return flight into that exact seat I was denied into on my outbound flight...

It seems like you are right though that once on board everything is basically under the gate agents sole and complete discretion. Seems like in the future if I'm ever #1 it's better to wait at the gate till everyone boards... Unfortunately, all this happened at the last second post boarding when I saw the gate agent move the individual into the D1 cabin and then refused to move me to the C+ Cabin so seems like I'm just out of luck at that point given the gate agent I had for my flight...
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

The OP wasn't in C+... Correct me if I'm wrong but on aircraft with a PS cabin, that cabin becomes C+ on domestic flights whilst the true C+ section becomes "Preferred." Therefore, the OP wasn't upgraded into C+ even if the gate agent tried to mock him showing that his seat's headrest read C+. More alarmingly, the gate agent surely must have known that DL doesn't sell PS on that route or any domestic market for that matter.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Exactly...
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by KaitlynPoints
Exactly...
Please keep us posted on DL’s reply to you
MSPeconomist and Skitsnygg like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by The Situation
Although I have often seen people pulled up to F after boarding, I don't think I have ever seen anybody pulled up to C+. Not saying its right, just the reality and you learn from these experiences. There is a saying you board, you lose. In the future, if you are #1 on the upgrade list, always talk the GA before boarding and asking if they will come on board and pull you up if a seat becomes available. Otherwise, wait until everyone has boarded and ask if there are any vacant seats.
^^ This. I have seen it be hit or miss for the gate agent to come on board to process upgrades to First when there is a no show, etc. Sometimes this doesn’t happen though and it’s a real shame.

I presume if they then process the “domino” effect of then upgrading someone into their old seat it leads to a lot of motion when they are trying to push back from the gate on time.

Whenever I am one or two on the list, I ALWAYS wait to board last since no shows are somewhat common and the practice of pulling folks up after boarding is spotty for First (and I’d say pretty unheard of for C+). I usually ask something like “Can you tell me, has my upgrade cleared?” before scanning my boarding pass which prompts them to glance at the list and see if they can make it happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.