Wiki Posts
Search

Oversized sporting equipment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Oversized sporting equipment

Didn’t find a recent thread on this so here goes. Looking to fly with an air rifle domestically (DCA-DTW). The case is a bit oversized at about 65-66 linear inches mostly on length. It is well under 50 lbs. No status or CC.

if I’m reading the DL baggage info correctly, this results in a fee of $200 each way. Is this correct? Is there any break on this if I fly first instead of coach? FWIW I called Delta and the agent told me they don’t charge fees for sporting equipment regardless, but that didn’t seem correct.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Skis are way bigger than that and never cost extra.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Skis are way bigger than that and never cost extra.
Right! You have to pay extra. Ask your ticket agents.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your bag exceeds the published dimensions, it is subject to the domestic oversize fee of $200. There is no exemption for it as there is for skis. All published on the website.

Whether the agent applies it to you depends on the agent and whether they waive the fee or simply do not bother considering it. Nothing you can do until check in.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Often1
If your bag exceeds the published dimensions, it is subject to the domestic oversize fee of $200. There is no exemption for it as there is for skis. All published on the website.

Whether the agent applies it to you depends on the agent and whether they waive the fee or simply do not bother considering it. Nothing you can do until check in.
Often1 is right! You have go to airports. Go to ticket counter and see ticket agents. They will help you out.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Didn’t find a recent thread on this so here goes. Looking to fly with an air rifle domestically (DCA-DTW). The case is a bit oversized at about 65-66 linear inches mostly on length. It is well under 50 lbs. No status or CC.

if I’m reading the DL baggage info correctly, this results in a fee of $200 each way. Is this correct? Is there any break on this if I fly first instead of coach? FWIW I called Delta and the agent told me they don’t charge fees for sporting equipment regardless, but that didn’t seem correct.
I have had success with overweight and oversized DL baggage checked outside with skycap and a $20 tip. YMMV.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Ship it to where you’re going via FEDEX or UPS. Why bother with dragging it through the airport and dealing with the airline? I’m sure you could ship it priority overnight for less than $200 one way or $400 round-trip.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Apr 18, 2021 at 3:48 am
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre

There certainly seems to be an exception for it. https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...ting-equipment that says that overweight charges would be charged for bags over 50# and bags cannot exceed 117 linear inches. I know many people that have flown with rifles all over the country on many different airlines and never had to pay extra.

No way a skycap is going to take anything that looks like a rifle case at the curb.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
There certainly seems to be an exception for it. https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...ting-equipment that says that overweight charges would be charged for bags over 50# and bags cannot exceed 117 linear inches. I know many people that have flown with rifles all over the country on many different airlines and never had to pay extra.

No way a skycap is going to take anything that looks like a rifle case at the curb.
But, the "sporting equipment" policy enumerates sporting equipment and air rifles specifically and firearms in general, are not on it. Other airline policies do not really matter. Thus, it's down to the agent. The shipping option is the smartest. No muss, no fuss and, unless you need the item at home up to departure and immediately on return, even 3-day ground is fine and that will be a whole lot less than $400 round-trip.

Agreed that the Skycap issue ends as soon as the item looks like a firearm. But, I'm sure that the Skycap will be happy for the $20 to make that assessment.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
But, the "sporting equipment" policy enumerates sporting equipment and air rifles specifically and firearms in general, are not on it. Other airline policies do not really matter. Thus, it's down to the agent. The shipping option is the smartest. No muss, no fuss and, unless you need the item at home up to departure and immediately on return, even 3-day ground is fine and that will be a whole lot less than $400 round-trip.
It does actually enumerate firearms in general, rifles in particular under the sub-heading "Shooting Equipment" It does not specify air rifles.

Shipping may well be cheaper, but is not without it's own perils. Getting a front line CSR at your local UPS or FedEx shipping location to understand that it is an air rifle and not a rifle as well as the distinction between the two would be hit or miss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.