Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old 738 Last Night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Old 738 Last Night

The photo is from my flight last night, #1572 - BOS/FLL. It's been quite a while since I've seen screen this small in F. I'm guessing Delta doesn't have long term plans for this non-updated 737-8.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I was on one of these last week from LAS-BOS during the 'easter meltdown'. Yeah screen is tiny and cabin appeared old and worn.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I've hated these planes since they were delivered. Same with the 73Ws which are now fortunately gone. Luckily they're relatively easy to avoid.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
And yet, it's a screen. With live TV. Compare to UA, for instance.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by TurfGuy
The photo is from my flight last night, #1572 - BOS/FLL. It's been quite a while since I've seen screen this small in F. I'm guessing Delta doesn't have long term plans for this non-updated 737-8.
Actually this is a newer 738 than those with the larger screens. Way back when when Delta rolled out AVOD to the 738 fleet they only did ~ half the fleet, the 73H fleet. These are/were the newest half of the fleet. (the rest of the 738s, that now have the bigger screens just had drop down monitors and were the older part of the fleet.)

as for the future, right now with a 3 billion dollar loss for Q1, nothing is getting done. There was talk pre-COVID of updating these planes as well as rolling out the pivot bins to the 738 fleet. The view at the time of rolling out the larger screens was that the 73H fleet has something so they focused on the planes that didn't have anything (Airbus) or were getting new configurations (75D/75H/753 fleet)

IIRC, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, I think the international 757-200s (exTW/AA/AM) have the small screens in the back, but they might of gotten larger screens when they got lie-flats. I honestly can't remember what they are like now days.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'll take the 738 with smaller screen over a 739.
ND76, spongenotbob, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
I'll take the 738 with smaller screen over a 739.
I suppose that's a fair statement. For me this decision would go something like:

the rest of the mainline fleet + E-Jets > the rest of the express fleet minus the original CRJ......................................... > 738 > 739............................................... .... > train > car > horseback > walking > bus.............................................. original CRJ.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And yet, it's a screen. With live TV. Compare to UA, for instance.
I was on one of these a few weeks ago and honestly, the screen was so dim and the resolution so poor, I would have preferred just streaming to my phone... except that the WiFi wasn’t working (even to access the Delta Studio portal).
TurfGuy likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
My bigger beef with these particular birds is the lack of winged/raisable head rests.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
IIRC, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, I think the international 757-200s (exTW/AA/AM) have the small screens in the back, but they might of gotten larger screens when they got lie-flats. I honestly can't remember what they are like now days.
I was on a exTW 757-200 a few weeks ago, and it had a larger touchscreen IFE in Y. Just a sample of one 757 flight..... Probably should check the listing of 757 refurb schedules to verify.....

Jiburi
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
I was on one of these last week from LAS-BOS during the 'easter meltdown'. Yeah screen is tiny and cabin appeared old and worn.
Well, at least there is a screen there. I flew AA recently...
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
My bigger beef with these particular birds is the lack of winged/raisable head rests.
Not just that, but the fat backs of the F seats are not really cushy, they’re kind of hard, and make my back hurt after a few hours.

Even though I miss the soft padded F seats that are gone from all airlines now, I’ll take the thinner padded seats now on almost any other DL domestic F because, besides the head rests, the back padding is softer too.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I don't mind this for daytime flights, but absolutely will not take a 738 as a redeye because of this. I was surprised that the IFE on the 738 I was on a couple weeks ago did have upgraded screens (at least in F).
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
> And yet, it's a screen. With live TV. Compare to UA, for instance.
> Well, at least there is a screen there. I flew AA recently...

YES, these comments! Delta has IFE on nearly all their aircraft except the 717's and RJ's. Sometimes you get those tiny screen models but even they seem pretty rare anymore. Yet on United and American, getting any screen is an exception. I thought I was the only one that cared, lol.
DenverBrian and TurfGuy like this.

Last edited by SUPERTRAVEL; Apr 15, 2021 at 8:00 pm
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
I may be in the minority, but I really like the big puffy front seats on those birds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.