Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded on a Purchased Ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bvehorn
This just happened to us on DL, downgraded from First to Coach (not even C+) on one segment when our original flights were canceled. It sounds like I can at least expect a fare adjustment (refund). Hope that's right!
You're entitled to $200 per passenger plus fare difference calculated based on fare the date you purchased, not flew. Fare difference may be really small if it was a short segment that was downgraded. They calculate the fare difference and then use the percent of total miles flown that were downgraded. Ie fare difference is $1000, but downgraded flight was 100 miles out of 1000 flown. You'd get $100 of the fare difference.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You're entitled to $200 per passenger plus fare difference calculated based on fare the date you purchased, not flew. Fare difference may be really small if it was a short segment that was downgraded. They calculate the fare difference and then use the percent of total miles flown that were downgraded. Ie fare difference is $1000, but downgraded flight was 100 miles out of 1000 flown. You'd get $100 of the fare difference.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:09 pm

That’s not what any airline is doing. It’s a total scam. We were downgraded from first to economy/coach involuntarily on Alaskan. They refunded us the difference based on the counter prices the day we flew as if you went up to the counter and bought a ticket. We got a refund of $75 rather than the $250 that was the difference when I purchased.

The same thing happened last month on American. Our family of five was downgraded from F to Coach on a long flight. They gave a total refund of $700 ($140 each) based on counter prices for economy tickets on the day we flew. We paid almost $4000 more to get First class tickets several months earlier.

The scandal is that they can overbook first class, downgrade half the people to coach, give them each $50 and make $1000 apiece on the first class fares.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well if you have documentation of the price difference at the time of booking (which one should always save), then (1) file a complaint with the DOT, and (2) sue them in small claims court.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Kristin Bailey
That’s not what any airline is doing.
That is what Delta does. Alaska and American do what they're going to do.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: ba silver
Delta is better when it comes to calculating passenger refunds. I don't know why other airlines are allowed to use a different formula.

What I do whenever possible is purchase the first ticket in coach, then pay to upgrade into a higher cabin.

If the airline offers less than I paid for I would either do a chargeback for the service not provided for or would go to SCC. I make sure I have a screen shot showing the price for the upgrade. I think the airline would have a hard disputing to a the CC company or proving to a judge that I got what I paid for when I paid a fee to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.