Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded on a Purchased Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Downgraded on a Purchased Ticket

I purchased F (not a free upgrade) for my son's senior trip leaving this afternoon. This morning they tell me that due to an equipment change we have been downgraded to C+ on one of the segments. Is there any refund or recourse available for this?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I purchased F (not a free upgrade) for my son's senior trip leaving this afternoon. This morning they tell me that due to an equipment change we have been downgraded to C+ on one of the segments. Is there any refund or recourse available for this?
Yes. You can either:
*reroute on any other flights in F class between the original and destination - the current fare doesn’t matter - neither does the connection point(s) - it will be professed as an even exchange
*you can request a full refund to the original form of payment due to involuntary downgrade
*he can fly on his current flights; delta generally offers a $200 downgrade voucher as well as he fare difference for that segment (this may be small due to the opaque method in which they calculate this)

You need to call/message reservations ASAP to effect any of these changes, as prior to departure is best.

Try calling Delta’s Singapore phone number, as they answer very quickly and are well versed in policies
MSPeconomist, Spiff, viz and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When only one segment of a fare component is downgraded, in principle the repricing tends to result in a broken fare, which can actually be higher than the original fare, even using historic fare class availability.

Depending on the particular segments, it might be advantageous to ask DL to downgrade both segments if this would result in a big refund.

OTOH, $200 might not be a bad resolution if you want to keep the original schedule.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When only one segment of a fare component is downgraded, in principle the repricing tends to result in a broken fare, which can actually be higher than the original fare, even using historic fare class availability.

Depending on the particular segments, it might be advantageous to ask DL to downgrade both segments if this would result in a big refund.

OTOH, $200 might not be a bad resolution if you want to keep the original schedule.
I have found Delta to be good about the fare difference in that they do calculate a refund amount and never let it get to a broken fare.

However, the amount will likely be less than $200.

If it’s a senior trip and he wants to stay with his friends, the voucher and refund request would likely be ideal.

I definitely would NOT voluntarily downgrade another segment in hopes of a larger refund.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
between the original and destination
I meant ORIGIN and destination
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Option 3 is usually the best unless it is a flight with multiple other options and won't cause a big delay.

*he can fly on his current flights; delta generally offers a $200 downgrade voucher as well as he fare difference for that segment
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

DL calculates based on difference between F purchased and cheapest main cabin fare on date purchased. No breaking of fare. On top of that they add $200 just for the downgrade.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL calculates based on difference between F purchased and cheapest main cabin fare on date purchased. No breaking of fare. On top of that they add $200 just for the downgrade.
Not sure about DL but AA offered nothing other than fare difference for rebooking in coach triggered by MAX mess they created last weekend
Urgent: flight cancelled, auto rebooked in coach - options?
I hope OP will have better luck with DL.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Not sure about DL but AA offered nothing other than fare difference for rebooking in coach triggered by MAX mess they created last weekend
Urgent: flight cancelled, auto rebooked in coach - options?
I hope OP will have better luck with DL.
Why post if you’re not sure about DL? This is not AA.

Literally, even who posted about the $200 downgrade compensation in the form of a certificate is a top-level frequent flyer who has personally received such a certificate because it has happened to us.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
well, in the end they re-upgraded us at the gate. Agent said he had no idea why they did that to us, found 2 seats still open that weren't showing on the public seat map and fixed it. Big relief, but curious why the computer couldn't figure that out when an agent could in 5 mins.
btonkid12345, ysolde and altabello like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
well, in the end they re-upgraded us at the gate. Agent said he had no idea why they did that to us, found 2 seats still open that weren't showing on the public seat map and fixed it. Big relief, but curious why the computer couldn't figure that out when an agent could in 5 mins.

Those seats were blocked for whatever reason. Thus computer saw cabin as full. Likely has to do with middle seat blocking which ends on the 1st I believe. Agent at gate can see what is actually going to happen and manually override.
ysolde likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Were they put in 1C/D by chance? Some aircraft had those seats blocked for flight attendant use but I’m not sure how consistently they have been using those seats when allocated.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Do you know what booking class the agent used? If it was put as an upgrade rather than a paid booking class, you should still write to DL complaining and they should give you something since upgrades don't earn as many EQMs as purchased F fares.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fly747first
Do you know what booking class the agent used? If it was put as an upgrade rather than a paid booking class, you should still write to DL complaining and they should give you something since upgrades don't earn as many EQMs as purchased F fares.
Wait till it posts. If it posts correctly (which it may) then OP is good to go.

If not then OP needs to ask for original routing credit.

Either way must wait till activity posts.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SkyMiles
This just happened to us on DL, downgraded from First to Coach (not even C+) on one segment when our original flights were canceled. It sounds like I can at least expect a fare adjustment (refund). Hope that's right!
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.