Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Website Now Displays RUC and GUC Certificate Availability-Upgrades Extended to 12/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Website Now Displays RUC and GUC Certificate Availability-Upgrades Extended to 12/31

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Great change, and kudos to DL for finally making the happen.

Now I hope it just works......
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
I had 4 GUCs that expired in 2020 - email said they would be reinstated, but now instead of being visible in my certificates as "expired", they are gone. Has anyone else experienced this? Are they still doing sweeps to restore the expired certificates?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Originally Posted by pauly_long
I had 4 GUCs that expired in 2020 - email said they would be reinstated, but now instead of being visible in my certificates as "expired", they are gone. Has anyone else experienced this? Are they still doing sweeps to restore the expired certificates?
I had some that expired earlier this year, and they are gone from my certificates page. The announcement says they are in the process of adding them back, and should be reissued by March 8.

https://www.delta.com/global/en/skym...deCertificates
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Very nice feature added to the website. Been a long time waiting for it
Unexpected benefit is the ability to use upgrade certs on award tickets.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Very nice feature added to the website. Been a long time waiting for it
Unexpected benefit is the ability to use upgrade certs on award tickets.
...and the ability to upgrade more than one companion when the family travels together.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:34 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Interestingly, there is a ton of GUC availability on routes to Japan later this year — seemingly 8 seats or more per flight on many routings around Labor Day for example. (The availability seems to show based on how many passengers you search to buy tickets for, based on seeing it switch from “available” to “unavailable” when adding passengers to the count on some other itineraries.)

I’m unfortunately not super optimistic that Japan will be open to foreign tourists by Labor Day so it’s probably moot, but that’s still a lot more generous than I’ve ever seen Delta be before on GUC clearance in advance on flights to Asia.

I guess the new option to use certs on award tickets means I could buy a coach award ticket and upgrade it while still having the option to refund the underlying ticket for free if it’s not possible to travel by then, though I think the GUCs would be forfeited if I did so (after the GUCs had been reticketed, at least). The coach award tickets also aren’t much of a deal at the moment, but the Delta One award tickets are even less so.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Having just applied my first 2 successful RUCs in a few years to lie-flats on 8+ hour flights, I both love this change for the transparency it allows but I also understand how it will affect the process going forward. Inventory will likely be soaked up more quickly so it will be important to pounce as early as possible. My situation is weird since 1) I was able to apply these within a week of traveling and 2) when I had called in the past, I was told no flights on my travel dates had RUC possibilities. Also a happy coincidence that change fees have been "permanently" revoked.
jmgriffin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:55 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Having just applied my first 2 successful RUCs in a few years to lie-flats on 8+ hour flights, I both love this change for the transparency it allows but I also understand how it will affect the process going forward. Inventory will likely be soaked up more quickly so it will be important to pounce as early as possible. My situation is weird since 1) I was able to apply these within a week of traveling and 2) when I had called in the past, I was told no flights on my travel dates had RUC possibilities. Also a happy coincidence that change fees have been "permanently" revoked.
IME, this part actually isn't weird. I've always had the sense that Delta is good about opening up upgrade space as departure gets closer, though it may now be easier to actually track that more transparently with this extra data. Granted, demand patterns are so weird right now that Delta's algorithms may also be behaving strangely. But in my past experience when I've tried to use certificates on Delta metal, it's been easier to find available upgrade space when booking short notice than when booking months in advance.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got three of my four GUCs sitting in my account with a 12/31/21 expiration.

No idea where the fourth is. I'll give it some time.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by josephstern
I've got three of my four GUCs sitting in my account with a 12/31/21 expiration.

Same situation here. 3/4 RUCs now have 12/31/21 expirations while the 4th still says 8/1/21.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by josephstern

Yesterday I had 2/4 GUCs extended but not my one remaining RUC. Today a 3rd GUC and the RUC are extended, leaving just the one GUC still showing 7/30/21. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean if I were programming this I would do all certs in one account then move on to the next. Maybe they're going in order of certificate number? (The 4th GUC does have the highest number...)

It totally doesn't matter, just curious
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case, my fourth one isn't there at all. Maybe they never updated it to 7/31/21 and I lost it in January?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
I had some that expired earlier this year, and they are gone from my certificates page. The announcement says they are in the process of adding them back, and should be reissued by March 8.

https://www.delta.com/global/en/skym...deCertificates
same here. one RUC expired 12/31/20, and disappeared. Will wait till 3/8 and see if it'll be added back
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
great change from delta....it was always a pain calling to find guc availability....hopefully this will work as its supposed to....
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
Yesterday I had 2/4 GUCs extended but not my one remaining RUC. Today a 3rd GUC and the RUC are extended, leaving just the one GUC still showing 7/30/21. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean if I were programming this I would do all certs in one account then move on to the next. Maybe they're going in order of certificate number? (The 4th GUC does have the highest number...)

It totally doesn't matter, just curious
This prompted me to check mine and only one of my four RUCs has been extended. It's the third highest numbered cert, so that theory is out the window. Oh well. I'm sure they'll sort it out over the next couple days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.