Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Atlanta to Amsterdam on Delta - Covid Testing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Has anyone recently taken this route on Delta? We are traveling on Feb 19th and transiting through AMS to Tanzania.

My questions are:
1. Do all ATL to AMS route allow the rapid antigen test at Gate E14 or just the "Covid-Tested" designated segments?
2. Based on the Amsterdam requirements do I take the PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding or 5 days prior (I'm transiting in AMS)?

Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
1. A rapid test is mandatory now when you fly to Schiphol, the test used must be a rapid antigen or molecular test (NAAT, TMA, LAMP or PCR test). A blood test is not sufficient. Sample must have been collected no more than 4 hours prior to boarding.
2. Neither, the PCR test must have been conducted less than 72 hours before arrival at Schiphol.

Same rules on the way back.

There is more info at:
https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...nd-declaration
Old Feb 11, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Jeff Michie
1. Do all ATL to AMS route allow the rapid antigen test at Gate E14 or just the "Covid-Tested" designated segments?
!
The special "Covid-tested" flight with rapid antigen testing available at gate E14 is only available on DL76 which does not operate on Feb 19. Looks like DL76 only operates on Tue Thu Sat Sun.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the way back, make certain that whatever it is that you get in Tanzania meets US requirements as well.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Often1
On the way back, make certain that whatever it is that you get in Tanzania meets US requirements as well.
Be aware that there is almost nowhere in Tanzania that can do a 72 hour turnaround outside of DAR and even then its 1 hospital. Most are 96 hours. Its a real pain to get so be careful.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Hi ClipperDelta! How certain of this are you? I contacted Delta via text message and the representative who answered said my flight on the 19th to AMS would be able to use the rapid-antigen test at gate E14, despite it not being one of the covid-tested flights.

I always take Delta rep answers with a "grain of salt" so I thought I'd ask you how certain you were of your answer!
Thanks again!
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:00 pm

Hi everybody, I have to admit that I'm confused/concerned by the messaging from Delta as well. I found out this morning that my ATL -> AMS flight is now COVID-tested, which is great. Yet this is what I see on my trips page currently:

COVID-19 Testing Is Required 5 Days Prior To The Flight's Scheduled Arrival Time In Amsterdam

As has been mentioned, this is incorrect. The Delta representative with whom I spoke on the phone an hour ago said the negative PCR test result has to be no more than 72 hours old when boarding in the US. Yet the Dutch website says it must be no older than 72 hours when you enter the Netherlands. Seems like a lot of potential confusion here.

To make matters worse, the CVS PCR test recommended by Delta for this program has a standard turnaround time of 2-3 days in the US.

I have the option to get a rapid PCR test (Mesa Accula) here in Atlanta, but most people aren't familiar with the concept. The Delta representative kept thinking I was referring to a rapid antigen test.

I suppose I have two questions, then:
  • Does anybody know whether the Netherlands accepts a rapid PCR test result (not rapid antigen) to fulfill the < 72h PCR requirement?
  • Otherwise, what to do if the PCR result gets delayed? Right now it feels a bit like Delta is winging it, pardon the pun.
Much appreciated!
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
The KLM flight ATL-AMS (KL 624) makes use of E14 and testing too.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:46 am

I am also confused by these new requirements. A negative PCR test AND and negative rapid antigen test. The rapid one has to be within 4 hours of the flight. We are just transiting in AMS but the requirements are the same for transit passengers. Going there we should be able to get the PCR test 2 days before and have the results and get the rapid test at the gate. The big problem is coming back from Kiev. Our flight to AMS is at 5:30 AM. Where do we get a rapid test from 1:30 in the morning in Kiev? Their airport does not have this. How in the world can Delta and it’s partners fly to AMS right now? These are absurd rules. We leave in 6 weeks and I doubt they will change by then, but I will wait till a week before and possibly switch to CDG for transit. I miss how easy travel used to be!
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:15 am

@chaseychasem

1. The PCR type of test: the test used must be a molecular PCR test for the diagnosis of active SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19). No other type of test, including a rapid test, is valid,

There is one other option they will accept;
Single LAMP test instead of a PCR test and rapid test
If you show proof of a negative result from a LAMP (loop-mediate isothermal amplification) test, you do not need to provide proof of a negative result from a normal PCR test and rapid antigen test. A LAMP test is a PCR test that gives a result within 4 hours.

The following conditions apply:

You must take the LAMP test no more than 4 hours before boarding.
The result must be known before you board.

When this was introduced it was kind of a mess with especially the early flights flying back empty to AMS, but now for most flights that go the Netherlands you have the opportunity to take the rapid test at the airport.
PCR test: surely there must be several commercial parties that will guarantee PCR results the same day and/or within 24 hours.

2. If your PCR results are delayed you will not allowed to board and will be rebooked to a later flight.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by xiphoid76
I am also confused by these new requirements. A negative PCR test AND and negative rapid antigen test. The rapid one has to be within 4 hours of the flight. We are just transiting in AMS but the requirements are the same for transit passengers. Going there we should be able to get the PCR test 2 days before and have the results and get the rapid test at the gate. The big problem is coming back from Kiev. Our flight to AMS is at 5:30 AM. Where do we get a rapid test from 1:30 in the morning in Kiev? Their airport does not have this. How in the world can Delta and it’s partners fly to AMS right now? These are absurd rules. We leave in 6 weeks and I doubt they will change by then, but I will wait till a week before and possibly switch to CDG for transit. I miss how easy travel used to be!
There was 24/7 sampling for 800 UAH;
IMMD Terminal D, 2nd floor

edit, from the airport site:

COVID-19 PCR & EXPRESS testing at Boryspil International Airport

At Boryspil International Airport, on the 2nd floor of Terminal D passenger waiting area (free zone), there operates a point of biomaterial sampling for COVID-19 PCR testing.

Every passenger now has an opportunity to take the PCR testing.

Upon arrival to Ukraine from the countries of the red zoneyou are able to make a test and stop the self-isolation (after receiving the negative result).

Passengers also have an opportunity to take a test and receive the certificate before departure.In order to this, passengers have to get to the airport well in advance and call +38044-281-72-35, +38063 980-67-47, for the Airport employees to meet and accompany you to the biological sampling point.

Attention! Certificates are issued both in Ukrainian and English.

Biological material sampling is performed by the Boryspil International Airport Medical Station professionals, while tests processing is carried out by ADONIS, Medlab, Esculab, UNIVERSUM.CLINIC, IMMD medical labs. As of today, signing the Agreement with 3 more labs is negotiated.

The price of services is individually determined by each lab.Available offers from UAH 850up to 1100 UAH.

Аdditionally a rapid testing service for SARS-CoV-2 antigen detecting was arranged, testing time – up to 20 minutes, each laboratory determines pricing individually – they range from UAH 650 up to UAH 800.

Biological material sampling is provided 24/7.
xiphoid76 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Grouchy
@chaseychasem

1. The PCR type of test: the test used must be a molecular PCR test for the diagnosis of active SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19). No other type of test, including a rapid test, is valid,
Again, though, this phrasing implies that the categories "molecular PCR" and "rapid" are mutually exclusive. They are not. I'm not talking about a rapid antigen test, which is typically what's given at the airport. There is also such a thing as a rapid molecular PCR (RT-PCR) test, and that's part of what I was asking above: whether a rapid molecular PCR test fulfills the <72h molecular PCR requirement in the Netherlands.

PCR test: surely there must be several commercial parties that will guarantee PCR results the same day and/or within 24 hours.
There are, but in order to enter Germany at the end of my journey I need results <48h, and on a tucked-away webpage the German government makes clear that not all rapid antigen tests are accepted. Thus, to be safe, I've scheduled a rapid RT-PCR test in advance of my flight that would work within that 48-hour timeline, and I was hoping to use the results from that to satisfy the Dutch PCR requirement as well. :-)
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:03 am

Those are not approved here. Hence the "No other type of test, including a rapid test, is valid,"

Plus make sure if you would like to travel to a Schengen area country via the Netherlands, you must be able to show you have permission to enter the Schengen country in question. You can do this with a note verbale from that country’s embassy, for example, or another type of document that proves you can travel there.
If you do not have such a document, the Dutch border authorities will determine whether you may travel via the Netherlands. Without a document showing you have permission to enter the Schengen country in question, you are advised to fly there directly and not via the Netherlands.

Last edited by Grouchy; Feb 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:09 am

Those are not approved here. Hence the "No other type of test, including a rapid test, is valid,"
Thanks for confirming. I'll assume as much then.

Again, though, what I'm saying is that their phrasing is sort of like, "Only Italian cuisine is accepted. No other type of cuisine, including cuisine with rice, is valid." This implies that Italian cuisine never has rice. In fact Italian cuisine can have rice. It's a bad formulation with a potentially significant impact for travellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.