Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta weak in Mountain-West despite SLC hub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta weak in Mountain-West despite SLC hub

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Another huge factor is that it relies on the argument that ATL and CLT sustain themselves off serving intra-SE traffic. They don't, which is what is going to be required to sustain this OP-proposed UA hub at RDU. Sure ATL and CLT facilitate significant amounts of intra-region traffic (when I went to college in Florida I flew FL-NC quite a bit) and it is part of what makes both hubs work. But ATL and CLT work because of also funneling traffic between the Southeast and the Northeast, Midwest, West Coast, DL's international destinations, etc. and do so without over-canibalizing other hubs in the network. Because of the amount of routes they serve, they can offer routes several times daily because of all the destinations around the country and globe they serve out of these hubs. RDU provides little to nothing new for UA in terms of facilitating traffic flow between the Northeast and the Southeast that IAD and EWR can't cover while pulling off traffic that helps fill flights out of IAD and EWR and what allows UA to offer the destinations and frequencies that it does out of IAD and EWR.
Yes, this was my primary point. If UA wanted a connecting hub in the Southeast, the only material net new routes would be Southeast-Southeast (which, admittedly, includes Florida which is huge) connecting traffic. All other flows are covered by existing hubs. And I just don't think the SE-SE market is big enough to warrant 10 years of blood bath investment, especially without a strong O&D market like Atlanta (which as you noted is better positioned anyways).

Either way I think we've drifted a good bit from the Mountain West... Denver is still a very good hub location for that, albeit with a lot of U/LCC competition.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Aspen has such a snob factor that I was surprised that people fly commercial. I'd rather see DL start service from SLC to SAF or DRO in the future once we're out of the pandemic.

From what I can see, SLC is good for going from large east coast cities to Idaho, Montana, and smaller west coast cities. That seems to be where SLC is most useful. Plus, SLC has plenty of good skiing right up the mountains from the city. Denver requires a lot more driving to get to the ski areas.
​​​​​​In my experience, most east-west travel has been routed through MSP.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm not saying it isn't a complex decision. And it's not just southeast traffic flows UA is missing out on. They have a very limited Caribbean presence. Even with MIA, AA has still maintained CLT's Caribbean network. But I'd never have a widget on my tail again if I could fly UA or AS efficiently from MCO. But there is currently no way to fly UA on a routing like MCO-MEM/TYS/BNA/SAV or GCM/SXM/STT.

And no one has given me an answer of why UA still haven't been able to make IAD work after 35 years. They have steadily dropped and added routes, tried TED, and haven't made any improvements to their facilities.
IAD is a bit of a joke for DC area residents. Wherever you want to fly, it's either too far or too expensive or both. United is the only major domestic carrier there, and they price it as if they have a monopoly, but almost all their destinations are served by other airlines at DCA or BWI. Getting to IAD requires a long slog on 66/495 then 267. The DC area is also disproportionately wealthy, so people will spend extra for the convenience of DCA. For the price-conscious, BWI is just as far as IAD but much cheaper, so they choose BWI.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by m907
​​​​​​In my experience, most east-west travel has been routed through MSP.
Think of smaller cities like MFR, EUG, EKO, and even RNO. Most are not accessed via MSP.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Think of smaller cities like MFR, EUG, EKO, and even RNO. Most are not accessed via MSP.
I was thinking of places like BZN, BIL, FCA.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by m907
I was thinking of places like BZN, BIL, FCA.
BZN and BIL are both slightly east of SLC.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
An additional point on RDU - JetBlue is the process of building a focus city at RDU and expanding from their current offerings of BOS, CUN, FLL, JFK, and LAX (and seasonal to RSW). Starting this month and next month, B6 is adding service out of RDU to AUS, JAX, LAS, EWR, MCO, SFO, and TPA. Including the LCCs/ULCCs, markets like Raleigh to Orlando and Raleigh to FLL/MIA and Tampa will already have 4-5-6 carriers serving the route. UA would *have* to serve these routes in such a hub but would be the as high as the seventh entrant in the market.

I've lived here long enough to see multiple attempts by B6 to build up their schedule at RDU, only for it to be pared down every time to roughly FLL (2-3x), JFK (2-3x), BOS (1-2x).

I'll believe this attempt sticks when I see it.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
RDU T2 is about 45 gates for everyone except WN, so about the size of either AA or UA at ORD. DL's operation pre-COVID took up about a third of the gates (D1-11, C1 and 3, and then access to an international gate for CDG), had a significant CR9 component to business markets timed for the work day, and just a couple of CR2 routes like BWI and PHL. The CR9 worked for business people because C+ is plentiful and on a longer route like RDU-AUS paid F was often just $100 each way over economy, and the crews are inexpensive.

DL and AA have a quiet coexistence here, although I'm sure the fighting over corporate accounts pre-COVID was fierce behind the scenes. UA would be in for a slog trying to even double their 2019 gates here in 2022.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
RDU T2 is about 45 gates for everyone except WN, so about the size of either AA or UA at ORD. DL's operation pre-COVID took up about a third of the gates (D1-11, C1 and 3, and then access to an international gate for CDG), had a significant CR9 component to business markets timed for the work day, and just a couple of CR2 routes like BWI and PHL. The CR9 worked for business people because C+ is plentiful and on a longer route like RDU-AUS paid F was often just $100 each way over economy, and the crews are inexpensive.

DL and AA have a quiet coexistence here, although I'm sure the fighting over corporate accounts pre-COVID was fierce behind the scenes. UA would be in for a slog trying to even double their 2019 gates here in 2022.

RDU T2 is not 45 gates. I don't think the 2040 expansion plans with two additional stubs in the middle and an extension to both ends even have 45 gates.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by ekozie
RDU T2 is not 45 gates. I don't think the 2040 expansion plans with two additional stubs in the middle and an extension to both ends even have 45 gates.
RDU T2 is currently 36 jetways. Add in the current capacity of T1 and you're right at 45 jetways (granted, a good bit of T1 is closed off still)
Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
Northern Arizona but some of that probably still dumps into DEN.
There are three (3) EAS cities in Northern Arizona: Page, Prescott and Show Low. Of those three, only one (Prescott) is served by a “Big Three” regional (United Express) with service to DEN and LAX. Page (Contour) and Show Low (Boutique) only have scheduled flights to PHX. The only non-EAS airport in Northern AZ is Flagstaff. It has scheduled flights on regional affiliates of UA to DEN and AA to PHX and DFW.

For me, ABQ is about a half hour longer drive than FLG that offers significantly more options in terms of carriers, routing, fares and scheduling. Plus ABQ is far less likely to be impacted by snowstorms.
indufan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know people in northern NM who like to drive to DEN rather than ABQ.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Looks like Delta took the axe to the focus cities (RDU, CVG, BNA) in their most recent schedule update.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know people in northern NM who like to drive to DEN rather than ABQ.
In pre-pandemic times I occasionally drove to LAS (2x my driving distance to ABQ) to catch a flight if it was economically advantageous.

I don’t think I’d choose DEN over ABQ. ABQ’s a snap with parking, security, etc. It’s even an easy walk from ABQ to several of the nearby “airport” hotels.
Daze likes this.

Last edited by kale73; Feb 8, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
I've lived here long enough to see multiple attempts by B6 to build up their schedule at RDU, only for it to be pared down every time to roughly FLL (2-3x), JFK (2-3x), BOS (1-2x).

I'll believe this attempt sticks when I see it.
Andddddddd... it's gone.

already cut:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.