Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta weak in Mountain-West despite SLC hub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold

A family friend that lives near ASE needs to get Houston to be with her sister. I offered to get her there using my Skymiles since I have more than I ever want to use. But surprise Delta doesn't even serve ASE. How can they just ommit such a major destination?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
A family friend that lives near ASE needs to get Houston to be with her sister. I offered to get her there using my Skymiles since I have more than I ever want to use. But surprise Delta doesn't even serve ASE. How can they just ommit such a major destination?
They normally fly to ASE (pre-COVID) from SLC year round and ATL in the winter, but it was one of the 11 stations suspended back in June due to COVID.

https://news.delta.com/delta-suspend...lect-us-cities
Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:22 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
HDN and MTJ didn't return this season, either. IMO the Ski Country destinations (except for SLC-JAC) have always been kind of weak out of SLC. Most of the money comes from rich east coasters or LAX.

I think this has alot to do with the CR7 being the only commercial aircraft that can fly there & how few of them are in the Delta Connection network right now. Skywest and Endeavor are the only 2 Delta Connection carriers that even operate them. Endeavor's bounce between hubs in DTW CVG & JFK. OO's are entirely SLC-based. Atlanta has no Skywest flying or CR7s right now at all.

ASE should be able to work with a SLC or LAX turn but maybe it just wasn't in the network plan right now with everything else going on.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Tough to compete with the UA DEN fortress hub. So much fly in ski traffic comes from the east that connecting in Utah makes little sense. Still surprising that DL can’t make a few daily SLC-EGE, SLC-ASE, SLC-MTJ and SLC-HDN regional flights work.

The SLC hub in general has some odd routes that seem questionable while other obvious ones have never been tried.

To the OP, Delta services both GJT from SLC and EGE from ATL which are reasonable drives.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Feb 1, 2021 at 5:09 am
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Such a major destination? I had to look up ASE - I did not recognize this airport code.
And then from Wikipedia: Aspen is a city located in Colorado. With a 2020 population of 7,287, it is the 63rd largest city in Colorado and the 3858th largest city in the United States.
enviroian and ExArkie like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Such a major destination? I had to look up ASE - I did not recognize this airport code.
And then from Wikipedia: Aspen is a city located in Colorado. With a 2020 population of 7,287, it is the 63rd largest city in Colorado and the 3858th largest city in the United States.
It's a nice little town with some historic buildings and a handful of good hotels. The drive in and out of the place (from Colorado Springs and then toward Vail and Denver) is nice too, but I wouldn't want to do it in a snowstorm. I consider it to be much more attractive than Vail.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha! I wish it was that unknown.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
ASE is a well known (to skiers) resort town where the rich folk go to play. *Average* cost of a single family house in ASE is $11 million (one of the highest in the Nation)...and I bet many of those are not primary residences. That being said, if you have that kind of jack, there's a good chance you aren't flying commercial anyway.
ExArkie and strickerj like this.

Last edited by HDQDD; Feb 1, 2021 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a nice little town with some historic buildings and a handful of good hotels. The drive in and out of the place (from Colorado Springs and then toward Vail and Denver) is nice too, but I wouldn't want to do it in a snowstorm. I consider it to be much more attractive than Vail.
It is a beautiful drive, but CO 82 is closed during the winter months, so to get from ASE to DEN, you have to drive NW to Glenwood Springs and then E on I-70 to DEN. Probably adds at least 1.5-2hours to the trip each way (worse in snow or traffic at the Eisenhower tunnel).
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
ASE is a well known (to skiers) resort town where the rich folk go to play. *Average* cost of a single family house in ASE is $11 million (one of the highest in the Nation)...and I bet many of those are not primary residences. That being said, if you have that kind of jack, there's a good chance you aren't flying commercial anyway.
I landed the Sunday after New Years last year and have never seen so many private planes in a line waiting to take off. There were so many that my flight from SLC had to circle for a bit before we could land.
DLASflyer and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I landed the Sunday after New Years last year and have never seen so many private planes in a line waiting to take off. There were so many that my flight from SLC had to circle for a bit before we could land.
Yup, this time of year it's not uncommon to see ASE on the ATC delay boards because of all that GA traffic and their takeoff complexities with that field.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I suggest watching South Park Episode 2 from Season 6. That will give you a good feel for Aspen and a good laugh at the timeshare industry.

But the local population size doesn't determine what type of destination it is. My guess is most of the local residents there work in the industries that draw the tourists to Aspen throughout the year but especially in winter. If you have your settings right in Google Maps, you can see there are several large ski resorts (along with the ski trails) around the Aspen area. Lots of folks with timeshares and such who go there to ski for a week or two in winter.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
You should go to DAB during the Daytona 500. The line-up of private jets coming in in the morning looks like LAX with several sets of landing lights visible from jets lined-up on approach for quite a while in the morning then a takeoff queue that looks like the evening rush to Europe out of JFK once the race is over.
PurdueFlyer, HDQDD and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I suggest watching South Park Episode 2 from Season 6. That will give you a good feel for Aspen and a good laugh at the timeshare industry.
I was thinking Dumb and Dumber might be instructive. "A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen."
HDQDD and Spanish like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

You should go to DAB during the Daytona 500. The line-up of private jets coming in in the morning looks like LAX with several sets of landing lights visible from jets lined-up on approach for quite a while in the morning then a takeoff queue that looks like the evening rush to Europe out of JFK once the race is over.
Or SDF during the Ky Derby, or whatever city hosts the Superbowl, etc. etc.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Yup, this time of year it's not uncommon to see ASE on the ATC delay boards because of all that GA traffic and their takeoff complexities with that field.
And I should clarify, nearly all the private planes I saw were jets, some quite large.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.