Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Did DL ever fly nonstop from MIA or FLL - SJU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did DL ever fly nonstop from MIA or FLL - SJU?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
I can say with near 100% certainty that Delta didn't fly Florida-SJU (or any Caribbean for that matter) in the last 30 years. Back in the day (or maybe shortly after the PA merger) there may have been some multi-stop services or 'direct' flights with origins/destinations elsewhere, but as far as regularly scheduled service between MIA/FLL or any of FL and SJU/Caribbean, I don't think it ever existed.

Historically Delta has never had the Caribbean presence that AA does, with many Caribbean markets being less than daily from ATL.

I would say it's very unlikely for DL to jump into this market. Their cost structure is much higher than B6 and NK who seem to have cornered the Caribbean market out of FLL. Down in MIA, I strongly doubt DL wants to start competing with AA's much more established schedule and brand in the market, but if it were to happen I would imagine this would be the best location, especially if their expanded MIA operation ever gets off the ground. I still see it as being pretty unlikely though.
I can say with 100 percent certainty that DL did fly MCO - SJU nonstop in October 2007. The aircraft was an MD-88.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I can say with 100 percent certainty that DL did fly MCO - SJU nonstop in October 2007. The aircraft was an MD-88.
Yes, I see that, very surprising. I only say that because I used to do Caribbean travel very frequently around this timeframe and never even came across Delta as a viable option without an ATL transfer, though I'm guessing they didn't have much in terms of connections on the SJU side of things, and I never actually would terminate in SJU.

I'm trying to figure out when AA stopped flying MCO-SJU because I think it was around this time, perhaps Delta thought they could capture some of that market. There was a time when AA was flying multiple daily A300s on MCO-SJU.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They actually flew FLL-SDQ/NAS in the past, but not SJU. They did not flown FLL to SJU. They dropped all FLL focus city. They tried FLL-SDQ in the past and it did not work. The loads are terrible.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
I would think MCO or TPA to SJU is the opportunity. Huge Puerto Rican communities in central FL...
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ULDB65
I would think MCO or TPA to SJU is the opportunity. Huge Puerto Rican communities in central FL...
The problem is it’s a very cheap market overall. This is why NK and B6 excel and AA and DL don’t. Though AA did seem to do decently when they were flying the A300 slAAveship. More seats than a 777, pack em in and sell it cheAAp.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
The problem is it’s a very cheap market overall. This is why NK and B6 excel and AA and DL don’t. Though AA did seem to do decently when they were flying the A300 slAAveship. More seats than a 777, pack em in and sell it cheAAp.
Yeah the A300 retirement was really the end of AA's SJU hub. I think MCO-SJU lasted for a little while longer on a 738 before ultimately being axed.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:25 pm

As a side note , Delta did fly from MIA-FLL . Does anyone remember this ? 21 miles .
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Don’t forget about Southwest FLL-SJU and MCO-SJU
And TPA-SJU, as well.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by anc305
As a side note , Delta did fly from MIA-FLL . Does anyone remember this ? 21 miles .
Yeah and they also operated MCO-DAB but I think that was Delta Connection.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Jan 21, 2021 at 6:20 pm
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yeah and they also operated MCO-DAB but I think that was Delta Connection.
And TPA-MCO, as well. They flew it before.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP

Yes, omg yes yes!! I flew this in summer 2000. I connected to this flight from an early evening PHX departure on a 727. IIRC, I had <30 min. on the ground in ATL before this 757 departed ATL just after 23:00hrs and flew first to MIA. We were sked. for ~20 mins ground time and only the FLL-bound pax remained, with the flight crew. We were airborne rather quickly to FLL once the APU issue was resolved at the gate in MIA by starting engine at the gate. Not even joking here- the moment we were at a positive roc, the cockpit made an the announcement to prepare for landing. Total flight time was about 12 minutes. Mostly full load to MIA; about 28 of us remained to FLL. The delay in MIA put us into FLL just after 2am. There was no reverse of this routing, I don’t recall.

One thing that has always stuck with me, although no pax boarded the flight in MIA, the crew showed the safety video in its entirety as we taxied out. I was in high school then, and over the years since, have experienced a couple of diversions to alternate airports due to weather. In both cases, no pax deplaned while on ground as we refueled, and certainly no new boardings...but neither time did the cabin crew conduct a safety demo (first time) or show the safety video again (second time). In both instances, only a “make sure your seatbelt is fastened” announcement was made departing the diversion airport back to our original destination.

One time in the recent past few years, on DL we had to return to the gate as we had a behavioral disruption from a pax as we pulled onto the runway. Police removed the single pax, and we were back on our way. Again, no repeat of the safety video.

Thx in advance for any info on the non-repeating of the briefing!!
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:38 pm

I remember my printed itinerary from the travel agency had mileage remarks for each flight/leg and the MIA-FLL was listed at 27 miles. I am
not even sure if the landing gear was raised at all, as I think even the flaps positions never fully retracted before we were landing. Westerly departure out of MIA, right turn, and we were lined up to land at FLL.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:39 pm

MOD please delete.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:40 pm

MOD please delete.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL, AS, 7H, KS
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Just curious if anyone can remember if DL ever flew nonstop from either MIA or FLL to SJU?

AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.