Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Issue with SkyMiles numbers sticking to Aeromexico reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante

Regardless of whether I put my SkyMiles number of an Aeromexico reservation at the time of booking, it almost always drops off at check-in, and often, even if I ask a agent to add it, it drops off again, and I have to submit a mileage credit request. To clarify, this is not a situation where a reservation is upgraded into a non mileage-earning class (which needs to be fixed too), but just a standard economy or clase premier purchased ticket. This has been an issue on my front for years.

Is this only me or have others encountered this? If you have any recommendations on making the number stick without verifying three times, I am all ears.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Nope - you just gotta ask, after checkin, to make sure your DL number is added.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't have any issues when I flew them a couple years ago to UIO.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by xliioper
Didn't have any issues when I flew them a couple years ago to UIO.

it’s a hit or miss issue, to be sure (in my experience, mostly miss). The only sure solution is to make sure to get a printed BP with your DL number on it. Whenever I’ve done that, it’s posted no problems, correct class, 100% of the time.

When I’ve relied on mobile BPs, despite them stating my number, it hasn’t always worked. And when I got a paper BP without my SM number on it (despite adding it to the reservation and seeing it in the app), miles didn’t credit. Took 4 months to sort out.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yes, this is a real issue. As A321neo says, you need to get a paper boarding pass printed at the airport that has your SkyMiles number listed in the FQTV field. An online checkin boarding pass is not sufficient for this - it has to be one printed at the airport. Then, exclusively use that boarding pass to board your flights.

If the boarding pass says FQTV: and then has a blank spot, it won't work.

The agent may say they see the number in your reservation, but if it's not in the FQTV field on the boarding pass, the crediting won't work. Be persistent, and maybe ask a different agent if the first can't figure it out.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I've not heard of this issue--have a lot of Medallion clients that book AM. Number always sticks when entered in Sabre. Perhaps a glitch on AM website/CRS integration?

Regardless, it's easy for DL to verify the segments were flown with AM and I'd suggest retaining a detailed receipt to make sure you are credited for the correct booking class.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Dec 13, 2020 at 8:59 pm Reason: sp
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I've flown AM several times over the years, and I don't think I've ever had this problem.

I generally just input my Skymiles number at my US departure airport (JFK) - either at the kiosk or with a gate agent; can't remember if AM has a self-checkin kiosk or not now - and get a printed boarding pass. That seems to hold for the return flights as well, in my (limited) experience.

EDIT: I see from what others have said that paper boarding passes might resolve this problem. I always get the printed boarding passes because I figure if I have any problems later, having a hard copy of all my documents will make things easier to sort out. So maybe this is one of those times where my aversion to technology makes things easier.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I've not heard of this issue--have a lot of Medallion clients that book AM. Number always sticks when entered in Sabre. Perhaps a glitch on AM website/CRS integration?

Regardless, it's easy for DL to verify the segments were flown with AM and I'd suggest retaining a detailed receipt to make sure you are credited for the correct booking class.
Yes, I believe it's a glitch with web site integration; I wouldn't be surprised if a travel agent that interacts directly with SABRE is setting the underlying field correctly while the AM web site has a problem of some sort. (It could also be a problem with online checkin.)
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I think it's a system integration issue. I've even had issues where I'm checked in for flight but when go to board I am not checked in and have no seat assigned despite having an OLCI/KIOSK BP with one showing. Agent normally makes some comments about systems issue and magically I'm onboard. However the new BP lacks my DL FF# and it must be entered manually. It appears not all systems are communicating in the same method with each other.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Thanks, this is all very helpful and reinforces some of what I have thought.

I've just been paying for business class lately and don't know, but wonder if this Skymiles number stickiness issue has any impact on advance upgrade processing too.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
I've just been paying for business class lately and don't know, but wonder if this Skymiles number stickiness issue has any impact on advance upgrade processing too.
If the medallion number's not there, definitely no upgrade. But, assuming the number sticks, AM upgrades are generally frequent/easy for DL elites.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:35 am
Original Poster

This continues to be frustrating. In advance of a recent flight:
  • I added my SkyMiles number at the time of making the reservation
  • I checked in at SFO and received a boarding pass without the SkyMiles number
  • The agent assured me the SkyMiles number was in the system
  • I asked him to delete my SkyMiles number, re-enter it, and re-print the boarding pass
  • The boarding pass still didn't have the SkyMiles number
  • I gave up, and of course, the miles didn't post
Any other thoughts on fixes?

I guess for this one I'll go down the SkyMiles customer service death spiral again to get these miles posted. I hope it's not like my last clean up effort which literally took six emails/online form submissions, two phone calls to "corporate customer service", and three app chats over the course of six months to finally get resolved. In the pre-COVID era when the Delta customer service was up to snuff it wasn't that bad doing the clean up, but the last few attempts to get mileage posted properly were just a royal pain in the butt.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
I am exactly in the same siutation here. I am a DL PM, but literally NONE of my past AM flights has been credited to my account (and i had around 15 of them).

Intra-Mex segments are simply not worth to try to fix it, but I am talking about MAD-MEX, MEX-GRU segments etc. After several e-mail and phone calls for a trip in February, the miles finally were credited.

For a trip in April, I have now already sent many e-mails and called them and all the time, they promised me to credit the miles (more than one month ago). However, until today, no miles credited. Does anyone have a better idea how I can get this issue solved? I know that there are people that want to change or cancel their flights and I dont want to bother the agents with my non-urgent mileage problems. Having said that, we are talking about 80k miles, so I really do want them credited one day.

Furthermore, I have more AM flights coming up. Is there any way to make sure that the miles will be credited automatically or is this really impossible? Really frustrating to be honest.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Just venting that I can't believe this is still a problem nearly three years later and have no idea how to get them to fix it.

I have a flight tomorrow -- I had an Aeromexico rep manually enter my Delta number at the time of reservation to be safe (given the speculation that the website is the issue) and it's still a mess.
  • I've watched available seats for sale in Close Premier dwindle over the past few days with no upgrade (I understand that they might have just been selling seats, but I did go from 7+ to 3 for sale)
  • I just checked in, and boarding pass shows zone 5, so something must be wrong in terms of recognizing status?
  • There's no sign of my name on the upgrade list -- in fact, the upgrade list appeared for a moment, and is now nowhere to be found on the website or app
  • On my last inquiry with Aeromexico they told me to talk to Delta about an upgrade...which makes absolutely no sense given the ticket was purchased directly through Aeromexico
  • As an aside, I can't even get the Aeromexico iPhone app to show an active reservation these days.
My last Aeromexico flight worked out fine with upgrades and mileage received (vs. Delta's never-ending mileage credit journey), and was booked the exact same way so this remains a mystery to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.