Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question for old timers... Northwest Airlines in late 1980s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for old timers... Northwest Airlines in late 1980s

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by blug
Two things I love about NW:
  • Their last livery, introduced in 2003. I find it stunningly beautiful.
  • DTW's McNamara Terminal, which gives quite a futuristic look.
Richard Anderson was the man behind both of them. I may not agree with him on frequent flyer programs but I sure like his aesthetic sense.
Agreed! Back in the 80's, NW had the slogan "The World is Going Our Way", trying to be a global airline When I saw DTW's new terminal, I thought that they finally had made it to a "global" airline look and feel.

But I liked NW because, while I was in school in the 80's, they offered some really good student fares. I didn't really mind the spartan airport accommodations and sometimes surly service. And again, in the late 90s, I was able to take advantage of some really low fares through Apple Vacations. Plus, I grew up in Seattle and Northwest Orient was the largest airline there at the time (they had 747s and DC-10s and they own concourse).
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by formeraa
Agreed! Back in the 80's, NW had the slogan "The World is Going Our Way", trying to be a global airline When I saw DTW's new terminal, I thought that they finally had made it to a "global" airline look and feel.

But I liked NW because, while I was in school in the 80's, they offered some really good student fares. I didn't really mind the spartan airport accommodations and sometimes surly service. And again, in the late 90s, I was able to take advantage of some really low fares through Apple Vacations. Plus, I grew up in Seattle and Northwest Orient was the largest airline there at the time (they had 747s and DC-10s and they own concourse).
I preferred NW's "now you're flying smart" slogan even though it was a complete lie lol
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by magXY
This is a bit of a long shot but I know there's a bunch of old time aviation fans here... I'm trying to fill in some blanks in the flight history I'm compiling on my.flightradar24
I flew a bunch of domestic US flights on what I believe at the time was called Northwest Orient airlines... we're talking mid 1989
LGA-DTW DTW-MCO MCO-MEM MEM-BOS BOS-LGA
I was too young to care at the time... do you have any idea what kind of aircraft these flights would have been on? Google isn't entirely helpful on the matter.
Thanks!
most of those Memphis flights were DC9. I flew them all the time. I even had a bank of first class seats in my basement out of a 9. Bought them from a mechanic at NWA.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by fly747first
Were the LAX/MSP flights on DC10s 2 or 3 class? In the 80s, NW offered First, Business, and Economy on long-haul flights but not sure if that was the case on some domestic routes operated by widebodies
2 class. Flew it all the time to LAX and MCO. I remember making phone calls from my seat. How cool was that.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
When did NW remove F entirely and go all two class?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cmd320
I definitely remember the Northworst monicker. My biggest complaint was the airport in DTW. Though I must credit NW on the new DTW which is honestly one of the finest terminals in the US now.
Originally Posted by blug
Two things I love about NW:
  • Their last livery, introduced in 2003. I find it stunningly beautiful.
  • DTW's McNamara Terminal, which gives quite a futuristic look.
Richard Anderson was the man behind both of them. I may not agree with him on frequent flyer programs but I sure like his aesthetic sense.
I personally love the DTW McNamara Terminal that NWA created, but that's about the only good thing I can say about NW.
Couldn't agree more--absolutely love the design of the McNamara terminal, and every time I travel through there it's hard to fathom it's almost 20 years old! The biggest tell-tale sign of its age is the poor resolution on those jumbo-tron TVs at some of the gates.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Assuming you mean international routes, I would guess around 2000 when PMNW and KLM brought out World Business Class as an enhanced business class product (and it was genuinely better than regular business class at the time). I recall IFC on (some) TPAC PMNW routes in the 1990s as well as having some business class to IFC paper upgrade instruments in my PMNW FF account when IFC was finally eliminated on the last remaining TPAC 747-400s. PMNW eliminated the "Asian/Japanese hostesses" who greeted thanked Japanese/Asian passengers and changed into kimonos up in the air to serve tea a bit earlier. [Now the position would be called "language of destination" FA by DL, with additional pay and some ability for more junior FAs to pick desirable routes, but these Asia-based female employees were familiar not just with the language but also customs, culture, manners, etc. They worked hard and were often observed cleaning lavatories in the middle of flights, etc.]

The elimination of IFC by PMNW was somewhat gradual, starting with the TATL routes (that were generally codeshared with KLM) and also starting with the smaller wide body aircraft. During the transition period and beyond, many PMNW longhaul aircraft still had the old IFC seats that generally were selectable only by PMNW (and partner?) high tier elites before check in on the day of departure. Hence, with PMNW PE status, one could pick (depending on the specific aircraft) either upper deck seats or the first business class cabin (in the nose of the 747) and get the wider recliner seats with additional pitch that reclined much farther (and went flat in the middle section of the last row of the first (nose) 747 section, seats something like 4E and 4F, depending on the specific aircraft type).
dtwtransport and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming you mean international routes, I would guess around 2000 when PMNW and KLM brought out World Business Class as an enhanced business class product (and it was genuinely better than regular business class at the time). I recall IFC on (some) TPAC PMNW routes in the 1990s as well as having some business class to IFC paper upgrade instruments in my PMNW FF account when IFC was finally eliminated on the last remaining TPAC 747-400s. PMNW eliminated the "Asian/Japanese hostesses" who greeted thanked Japanese/Asian passengers and changed into kimonos up in the air to serve tea a bit earlier. [Now the position would be called "language of destination" FA by DL, with additional pay and some ability for more junior FAs to pick desirable routes, but these Asia-based female employees were familiar not just with the language but also customs, culture, manners, etc. They worked hard and were often observed cleaning lavatories in the middle of flights, etc.]

The elimination of IFC by PMNW was somewhat gradual, starting with the TATL routes (that were generally codeshared with KLM) and also starting with the smaller wide body aircraft. During the transition period and beyond, many PMNW longhaul aircraft still had the old IFC seats that generally were selectable only by PMNW (and partner?) high tier elites before check in on the day of departure. Hence, with PMNW PE status, one could pick (depending on the specific aircraft) either upper deck seats or the first business class cabin (in the nose of the 747) and get the wider recliner seats with additional pitch that reclined much farther (and went flat in the middle section of the last row of the first (nose) 747 section, seats something like 4E and 4F, depending on the specific aircraft type).
Yes, that was what I was interested in. I figured it would have been around the same time as KLM. It’s interesting that most of the SkyTeam airlines (CO, DL, KL, NW) opted to discontinue F while AA, UA, and many of their partners retained it. I always found this a bit of an odd move for NW, primarily because of their presence in the Pacific market.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The PMNW 747 TPAC routes to/from Japan were the last to have IFC, even though their business class offering was already WBC with new WBC seats.

Let's not forget that WBC was always an enhanced business class offering from its introduction, positioned between business class and first class. It was always significantly better than some competitors' business class products of the same generation and even now, for example the BA cabins with some rear facing seats or UA business class 2-4-2 cabins from not long ago. Other carriers like KE, SQ, CX, AF, LH, etc. had (or still have on some routes) 2-3-2 business class configurations long after DL went to 100% direct aisle access seating in business class, with or without suites.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WBC featured "angled flat bed" seats in the early 2000's -- https://i0.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...2C2048px&ssl=1
Lots of complaints about these in the NW forum as I recall.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
WBC featured "angled flat bed" seats in the early 2000's -- https://i0.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...2C2048px&ssl=1
Lots of complaints about these in the NW forum as I recall.
Yes, and for me it took some experimentation to learn how to sleep well on them (my trick was to first go to the flat as possible mode and then move the seat back a bit in the upright direction), but these were considered to be the latest and arguably the best business class seats at the time. Other carriers used either recliners or also angled lie flat seats for business class then.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Was NWA planning a new business class seat for the 787?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by mot29
I'm guessing DTW-South Texas involved a connection in MEM. I recall a few MSP-MEM flights on 10s when I would connect going to see my folks in New Orleans.
I don't recall a connection but I assume there must have been. The ultimate destination was South Padre Island with a limo from Harlingen. I doubt DTW-HRL was direct.

Economy lie-flat, I assume means all 5 seats across the center of the DC-10?
No. Just three seats in the back of a 727. I got spoiled into expecting some flights to have such a low load factor.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I think it was late in 2000 when they phased out F from international flights and replaced with a new World Business Class product
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I think it was late in 2000 when they phased out F from international flights and replaced with a new World Business Class product
I am pretty sure it was before then as I was going to Japan pretty often and do not remember 1st. I think it was 1994 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.