Search

No more Trip Extras?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No more Trip Extras?

I have a few future flights booked, and the DL website no longer gives me a 'trip extras' area... specifically the option to pre-purchase in flight internet appears to be gone. On the app there is a section for 'mileage booster' and 'in-flight wi-fi' however neither link works... it just opens a popup that says Oops! We're Sorry... No Trip Extras are available for this trip.

Anyone else having the same problem? I wanted to buy gogo in advance as it is significantly less expensive, but that option seems to be gone now.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Delta quietly discontinues Trip Extras (from TPG)
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems surprising that DL doesn't want to collect the money at this time for stuff like purchasing extra RDMs (by those who make this mistake).
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy (lol) Titanium/LTP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It seems surprising that DL doesn't want to collect the money at this time for stuff like purchasing extra RDMs (by those who make this mistake).
My guess is that Delta recognized it wasn't worth the cost to maintain the booking system for it - especially since it probably complicates refunds and rebookings. The customer service time and/or manual process and/or customer frustration for handling those refunds probably exceeded the incremental revenue. With October rolling around, Delta all of a sudden cares about staff costs again and will want to cut down those costs.
MSPeconomist and ryw like this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by rylan
Anyone else having the same problem? I wanted to buy gogo in advance as it is significantly less expensive, but that option seems to be gone now.
You can still buy gogo in advance from gogo directly. Though the domestic day pass is now $19 (vs $16 from DL) it's still cheaper than most of the passes sold onboard. The INTL $28 pass was only ever available from gogo directly IIRC.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:47 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Phased out a few weeks ago. Bummer, since I would also buy wifi passes in advance using it, but I suspect on a whole it wasn't used that often, or that not having it simplifies costs for DL.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:35 pm

Does anybody know what the on-board purchase price for wifi is now? Pre purchase went from 16 to 19, did on board go up as well or is there just no more discount for pre purchase?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Does anybody know what the on-board purchase price for wifi is now? Pre purchase went from 16 to 19, did on board go up as well or is there just no more discount for pre purchase?
I am not entirely sure (as I usually pre purchased) but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that buy on board charges varied based on flight (and estimates of passenger willingness to pay). Though I could be remembering incorrectly . Perhaps someone who buys on board more can give you a more sure answer.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I am not entirely sure (as I usually pre purchased) but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that buy on board charges varied based on flight (and estimates of passenger willingness to pay). Though I could be remembering incorrectly . Perhaps someone who buys on board more can give you a more sure answer.
Domestic prices (used to) vary on board according to the duration and popularity of the flight, with shorter passes (~1 hour) being a few dollars. The TCON pricing was crazy... I remember $30-$40 on some JFK-LAX flights. Seemed designed to make you buy the (difficult to cancel) recurring monthly passes. That said, I haven't been on a plane in 6 months (!) and have no idea what the pricing is now.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bennos
Domestic prices (used to) vary on board according to the duration and popularity of the flight, with shorter passes (~1 hour) being a few dollars. The TCON pricing was crazy... I remember $30-$40 on some JFK-LAX flights. Seemed designed to make you buy the (difficult to cancel) recurring monthly passes. That said, I haven't been on a plane in 6 months (!) and have no idea what the pricing is now.
Pax do crazy things too... I forget if this was on DL or UA but I once saw someone* pull up the wifi purchase page, scroll through the list of options all the way down to day/monthly pass (one or both were available for purchase in flight), then scroll back up and finally purchased the *more expensive* single-flight pass

I don't remember ever having a problem buying a single month and then canceling... IIRC on Gogo you could basically cancel it once it kicked in and it would still be good through the end of that month.

*not deliberately snooping but they were across the aisle and one row in front of me so it was readily in my line of sight
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:13 pm

So interestingly on my route today (RIC-DTW-SFO) I could buy in-air leaving RIC an all day pass for $19.95, but in the DTW-SFO flight it was $20 for the single flight.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy (lol) Titanium/LTP
Originally Posted by Zorak
Pax do crazy things too... I forget if this was on DL or UA but I once saw someone* pull up the wifi purchase page, scroll through the list of options all the way down to day/monthly pass (one or both were available for purchase in flight), then scroll back up and finally purchased the *more expensive* single-flight pass

I don't remember ever having a problem buying a single month and then canceling... IIRC on Gogo you could basically cancel it once it kicked in and it would still be good through the end of that month.

*not deliberately snooping but they were across the aisle and one row in front of me so it was readily in my line of sight
Someone may reasonably avoid the monthly pass (which I've never seen cheaper than the single-flight pass.. my ATL-SJC/SFO flights were ~$40 for flight pass but monthly was still $49 or $59 or something) because they don't want to deal with cancelling. And there is no "cancel" button on GoGo.. you do have to ping customer service. On the day pass, it may be easier to expense the flight pass no questions asked than the day pass that is less specific. OPM makes people do funny things.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:45 am

Why are you assuming "Pax do crazy things" Maybe this passenger has ONE flight but they were curious about options for the future?

What's crazy is your ability to "judge" without knowing any facts!
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:23 am

I think the expectation of privacy on an airplane is pretty low

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
That's one of my favorite pastimes. You'd be absolutely no fun to people-watch with...
dcmike likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.