Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by rylan
I would submit a complaint to DL. The CR200 is already known widely as a 'torture tube' and being squished next to someone in there goes against DL's whole extra space for safety thing. Personally I would not fly in that plane under current circumstances... do they haven have hepa air filters?
I submitted a complaint last night because someone needed to tell them how twisted and backwards their policies are. I hate the CRJ200 too but that's all DL flies into SBN unfortunately.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Personally I would not fly in that plane under current circumstances... do they haven have hepa air filters?
No but as covered in another thread, they use entirely fresh outside air rather than a mix of fresh and recirculated air. So arguably the safest bird in the fleet on that count.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:05 am

This thread is a bit confusing but it seems there are multiple data points emerging.

Is Delta no longer guaranteeing an empty seat next to you (if traveling solo) in Y?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
This thread is a bit confusing but it seems there are multiple data points emerging.

Is Delta no longer guaranteeing an empty seat next to you (if traveling solo) in Y?
Yes, that is the implication. I'm assuming that Delta concluded that statistically there are enough couples traveling together that 60% capacity is good enough for X% of flights on 2x2. It sounds like OP may have been on one of the Y (100%-X%) flights. I assume it's very route specific where it's mostly solo travelers.

Agree it's disappointing. Seems almost petty to try to eke out an extra 10% capacity on 50 or 75 seater. We're talking about 5 or 8 seats.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM

I think they're blocking "middle" seats for parties of 1-2, though on aircraft that seat 2x2, there are no middle seats so they're supposed to be blocking 1 column of seats (still subject to the overall ~70% economy class capacity restriction or whatever it is now thru 10/31). First is capped at 50% thru 10/31 (or 67% for RJ's)
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In normal times, selling 5 to 8 more coach seats or not is the difference between a flight being profitable versus operating at a loss.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In normal times, selling 5 to 8 more coach seats or not is the difference between a flight being profitable versus operating at a loss.
Yes, but we're not in normal times. Every flight is operating at a loss on a fixed+marginal cost basis. Obviously the big change in the past two weeks is that the marginal cost characteristic has changed (since labor is no longer covered). Before October 1st, marginal costs were basically fuel, landing/gate fees, and maintenance. Now labor has re-entered as a marginal cost. I'm assuming that to exceed marginal cost on the regional flights they need 60% capacity.

My point is that the relative to the overall seat capacity of Delta overall, the extra 5-8 seats on these regional jets is such a trivial amount relative to their overall seat capacity on mainline it isn't worth the brand risk. I see on other forms of social media (Instagram, Reddit, Facebook) that Delta is getting a lot of kudos for the middle seat blocking and masks. Admittedly, no idea if that translates to sales - but surprised they want to take the heat. Delta and Southwest has mostly stayed out of headlines for crammed planes like AA and UA. It's bad enough to cram a plane, it's even worse (as evidenced by this thread) if there are missed expectations thinking the plane wasn't going to be crammed and it ends up crammed.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:23 am

Blocking Middle Seats for More Space

Through Jan. 6, 2021, Delta will block the selection of middle seats in Delta Premium Select, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin via the Fly Delta app or online.
  • For customers in parties of 1-2: Middle seats will be blocked for safety.
  • For customers in parties of 3 or more: Middle seats will appear as available for booking, to allow families and travel companions to select seats together.
This functionality helps us maintain our pledge to give customers more space on board while offering flexibility with their seat choices.

We’re also continuing to ensure our flights are not filled to capacity. For travel through at least Oct. 31, customers can expect that Delta will:
  • Limit the number of customers on board all aircraft – with or without middle seats.
  • Limit the First Class cabin to half capacity to further ensure more space between customers.*
  • Block one aisle of seats on aircraft without middle seats.
On routes where our planes begin to fill, we will continue to look for opportunities to upsize to a larger aircraft type or add more flights.

The Delta One cabin on widebody aircraft, which is designed with more space and privacy built in, will be offered at full capacity effective Oct. 1.
Source: https://news.delta.com/more-space-ho...s-january-2021

Looks like they've quietly given themselves a whole lot of wiggle room on anything other than "middle seats". Hmmm... disappointing.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Source? You would end up at a loss if you sell 5-8 additional cheap coach tickets and then have to pay compensation and/or meal and hotel vouchers, not to mention huge capacity differences depending on aircraft.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

DL has never guaranteed an empty seat next to you on RJs. With DLs Y seat cap at 60% and all RJs are in a 2-2 configuration, there will and always has been a possibility of sitting next to someone on a RJ. If DL wanted to guarantee everyone an empty seat on RJs, DL would need to restrict Y capacity to 50%.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This is not true. With the CR2 being all Y, they can fill it up to 60% capacity (30 pax). Due to the 2-2 configuration, if there are no couples traveling together, there could be instances of strangers having to sit next to each other.
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
DL has never guaranteed an empty seat next to you on RJs. With DLs Y seat cap at 60% and all RJs are in a 2-2 configuration, there will and always has been a possibility of sitting next to someone on a RJ. If DL wanted to guarantee everyone an empty seat on RJs, DL would need to restrict Y capacity to 50%.
Again, the logic of this escapes me. Is it somehow 'safer' to sit next to someone on an RJ than a mainline aircraft? I think not...
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole thing is just meant to make people feel safer rather than actually making them safer. If the guidance everywhere other than aircraft cabins is 6 feet, not sure this matters that much. Not suggesting that DL ought to block seats to achieve 6 feet, but that's what it would take.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The whole thing is just meant to make people feel safer rather than actually making them safer. If the guidance everywhere other than aircraft cabins is 6 feet, not sure this matters that much. Not suggesting that DL ought to block seats to achieve 6 feet, but that's what it would take.
I think treating it as a binary "safe vs. not safe" is a bit silly. Reality is it's a gradient. Being 6 feet away does not guarantee safety, nor does being right next to an infected person guarantee infection. I think it's pretty intuitive that being shoulder to shoulder is far worse than being separated by nearly two feet.
jmastron and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The 6 feet distance (or 2 meters where the metric system is used) is just an arbitrary rule to reduce risk substantially; indeed, early in the COVID-19 pandemic, three feet or one meter was often stated as the standard. People should stay farther apart, but 3 feet is better than 1 foot and 10-12 feet would be better than 6 feet. The idea is to reduce the probability of becoming infected (or the chance of a severe infection) as much as you reasonably can, not to make the spread of infection totally impossible.

It greatly helps that DL blocks seats, but keeping everyone always 6 feet apart would be impractical on a flight. People who insist on a guarantee of 6 feet have no choice but to fly private if well-spaced suites aren't available on the route.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Probably the best thing is that they are using hepa filters and good cabin airflow. Crank open the vents and direct them just in front of or to the side of your head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.