could I still be charged?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:32 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
could I still be charged?

I was RUC waitlisted for DL-ONE on 8/2 (LAS-JFK). On my reservation page for $790 (or equiv. miles) I'm offered the upg. I went to the seat map, picked a FC seat 2A. WAITLIST no longer shows. Could I still be charged $790.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really following your logic. If you chose the purchase option instead of waiting for upgrade inventory to open, then I would fully expect to be charged. Why wouldn't they? If you are assuming that just because they are selling upgrades, there must also be inventory available for cert upgrades, that would be a false assumption. Why would you expect them to leave you on the waitlist after you purchased the upgrade? Isn't the more obvious place to look is whether or not the RUC is still open?
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:53 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
If you chose the purchase option instead of waiting for upgrade inventory to open, then I would fully expect to be charged. Why wouldn't they? Why would you expect them to leave you on the waitlist after you purchased the upgrade? Isn't the more obvious place to look is whether or not the RUC is still open?
NO. I did not choose the purchase option. I just selected my seat (from a nearly empty FC cabin).
For LAS-JFK I'm listed as OU--if I made the purchase I wouldn't I be in "paid" FC.
Follow-up, I just received an email from DL [It's our pleasure to confirm your Complimentary Upgrade. Your itinerary is below for more information – you can view and make changes anytime in My Trips.]
Had I gotten this email 10 minutes earlier I wouldn't have started this thread.

Last edited by nrr; Jul 30, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
NO. I did not choose the purchase option. I just selected my seat (from a nearly empty FC cabin).
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. It sounded like the seat had the $790 price offer for it. From your clarification, it sounds like there was upgrade inventory open, but the upgrade processor had not run yet so I wouldn't expect to be charged.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 30, 2020 at 7:11 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Class OU should be a free elite upgrade IIRC, not RUC/GUC supported (which come from a different inventory bucket), so it sounds to me like you'll probably keep the RUC too.

However, if there's a price showing for a seat, one normally should assume that a paid upgrade is being offered, where you can alternatively pay with miles at the approximate rate of one cent per mile.

Perhaps you got lucky, but I wouldn't advise trying to duplicate this the next time. If you do it by accident, call DL right away so that if there will be a big charge for the upgrade, you can cancel it and hopefully grab your preferred coach seat back before it's gone forever.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:58 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Class OU should be a free elite upgrade IIRC, not RUC/GUC supported (which come from a different inventory bucket), so it sounds to me like you'll probably keep the RUC too.

However, if there's a price showing for a seat, one normally should assume that a paid upgrade is being offered, where you can alternatively pay with miles at the approximate rate of one cent per mile.

Perhaps you got lucky, but I wouldn't advise trying to duplicate this the next time. If you do it by accident, call DL right away so that if there will be a big charge for the upgrade, you can cancel it and hopefully grab your preferred coach seat back before it's gone forever.
For this flt. there are still LOTS of C+ seats left, so I could go back to C+ in the worst case scenario. For the JFK-LAS my upg. to FC is listed as OY--I was also waitlisted for a RUC, but at T-120 the waitlist notation "disappeared" and I chose a FC seat, I did NOT get an email confirming my upg.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Taking an FCM when close to departure doesn't always move you to a paid FC fare class, it can move you to an upgrade fare class -- so I wouldn't assume anything here.

I would see what your receipt says on DL.com and I would probably call DL ASAP. If you did get charged, DL isn't going to let you magically downgrade back to C+ at the gate and refund you the money. You need to call now and if they say it processed as an RUC you are all good, if it shows you charged you can explain the situation and get them to reverse the charge and re-apply the RUC.

If you wait until after the flight and then find out you were charged, it's unlikely you'll see the $790 (don't see where DL or your CC company would see this as DL not delivering the product or service purchased).

What you've described though is a bug that pops up from time to time where you can select an FC seat when within your complimentary upgrade window before the upgrade processor runs and it sometimes causes your ticket to go out of sync and other times works without issue and effectively lets you jump the queue (or at least grab your preferred FC seat before the processor runs and upgrades the batch being moved up at that specific window).
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Taking an FCM when close to departure doesn't always move you to a paid FC fare class, it can move you to an upgrade fare class -- so I wouldn't assume anything here.

I would see what your receipt says on DL.com and I would probably call DL ASAP. If you did get charged, DL isn't going to let you magically downgrade back to C+ at the gate and refund you the money. You need to call now and if they say it processed as an RUC you are all good, if it shows you charged you can explain the situation and get them to reverse the charge and re-apply the RUC.

If you wait until after the flight and then find out you were charged, it's unlikely you'll see the $790 (don't see where DL or your CC company would see this as DL not delivering the product or service purchased).

What you've described though is a bug that pops up from time to time where you can select an FC seat when within your complimentary upgrade window before the upgrade processor runs and it sometimes causes your ticket to go out of sync and other times works without issue and effectively lets you jump the queue (or at least grab your preferred FC seat before the processor runs and upgrades the batch being moved up at that specific window).
In my post #3 , In BOLD type I noted in a follow-up, that I received an email from DL noting that my upgrade was COMPLIMENTARY.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Confirmed instrument-supported upgrades (certs or miles) book into OY. Comp Medallion upgrades clear into OU. It used to be the case that some FCM offers at OLCI/on day of travel, were also rebooked into OY, dunno if that still happens.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Looks like another instance of Delta's superior IT.

Almost sounds like when they pulled an RPU and "upgraded" me from a borderline aisle to a no recline middle just forward of the lavs. At least I got the RPU back with the next years expiration date.

I'd just keep an eye on things to make sure that they don't try to collect after all.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
In my post #3 , In BOLD type I noted in a follow-up, that I received an email from DL noting that my upgrade was COMPLIMENTARY.
Okay so if you don’t care to call them to confirm you won’t be charged because you got an email saying it’s complimentary, what exactly is the point of this thread?

You asked a question. I and others said it would be prudent to call if you are concerned because if you do end up getting charged you’ll be SOL.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Okay so if you don’t care to call them to confirm you won’t be charged because you got an email saying it’s complimentary, what exactly is the point of this thread?

You asked a question. I and others said it would be prudent to call if you are concerned because if you do end up getting charged you’ll be SOL.
As I noted, had I received the "complimentary" email 10 minutes earlier, I NEVER would have started the thread.
PS: DL would be running a "scam" if they let you upgrade with NO fee notification and then later decide to assess a fee.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you're within upgrade window and OU space is available you can pick a seat and be upgraded for free.

This is/used to be a glitch on domestic D1 routes where upgrades that should be done at T-24 for all levels could be done earlier. (At regular elite window instead of T-24)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.