Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade using VS miles, credit to DL? Possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Hi!

I'm looking to book, and then upgrade one leg of a Virgin Atlantic booking (VS code, metal, stock ticket) using VS miles (transferred from Amex). But I want to credit the flights (well, the underlying economy class ticket's miles) to my DL account. Is this doable? Is there a risk that the flights post with a redemption fare bucket, rather than the underlying economy fare? Or could the flights post to the wrong account?

Any insights appreciated! Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
Super straightforward. Just add your Skymiles # at booking or via the app or call in. The miles post at the Y rate, I have had to submit for milage credit a couple times, but I just reference my original fare class and that I upgraded with miles and they get it resolved. More details below.

I am based in the UK but regularly fly to the US for work, and you are describing precisely what I do. My corporate travel policy is Y only but I have good leeway in determining the carrier and routing.

You can use the VS website to look at reward availability, but expertflyer is easier if you're doing this regularly.

I find the VS flight I want with reward availability and then book via my travel system. As soon as the ticket is issues I call VS and tell them I want to update with flying club miles. ~12K each way for PE(P) or 45K for UC(G). I generally try to do PE westbound and UC eastbound but UC is tougher to find (so be more flexible).

Amex and Chase points transfer instantly so I don't generally transfer until I'm on the phone with them.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catlike
Super straightforward. Just add your Skymiles # at booking or via the app or call in. The miles post at the Y rate, I have had to submit for milage credit a couple times, but I just reference my original fare class and that I upgraded with miles and they get it resolved. More details below.

I am based in the UK but regularly fly to the US for work, and you are describing precisely what I do. My corporate travel policy is Y only but I have good leeway in determining the carrier and routing.

You can use the VS website to look at reward availability, but expertflyer is easier if you're doing this regularly.

I find the VS flight I want with reward availability and then book via my travel system. As soon as the ticket is issues I call VS and tell them I want to update with flying club miles. ~12K each way for PE(P) or 45K for UC(G). I generally try to do PE westbound and UC eastbound but UC is tougher to find (so be more flexible).

Amex and Chase points transfer instantly so I don't generally transfer until I'm on the phone with them.

Hope this helps.
Hi catlike - this is really useful. Thank you!

The only snag is that I did the booking and upgrade in a single transaction, so I won't have a receipt with the underlying fare, but hopefully the fare basis is stored somewhere and so it shouldn't be impossible to deduce. And that's only a concern if it doesn't credit in the first place. Hopefully I'm not being paranoid!

Your travel situation sounds exactly like mine - pretty much always in Y - so this is a nice treat!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You aren't being paranoid; situations like this can cause problems with miles posting. I don't think there is any risk that it 'accidentally' posts to VS, but there is a definite risk that it posts to DL as an award flight with 0 miles. Then you have to sort that out with DL. I have had to do this multiple times on Virgin Australia.

It definitely helps if you have some documentation to prove your original fare class. So try to get your hands on that, if you can.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
You aren't being paranoid; situations like this can cause problems with miles posting. I don't think there is any risk that it 'accidentally' posts to VS, but there is a definite risk that it posts to DL as an award flight with 0 miles. Then you have to sort that out with DL. I have had to do this multiple times on Virgin Australia.

It definitely helps if you have some documentation to prove your original fare class. So try to get your hands on that, if you can.
Yip, I'm hoping to get my hands on something showing a fare construction or similar. It's not included on the confirmation email. Unfortunately, VS isn't the easiest to deal with...hopefully though I can get something.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Not too familiar with VS, but sometimes the airport kiosk offers a receipt printing option. If you still find yourself wanting at that point.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Not too familiar with VS, but sometimes the airport kiosk offers a receipt printing option. If you still find yourself wanting at that point.
I hope it doesn't come to that - tried to use their webchat to get a detailed receipt, but when I asked if the fare basis codes would be on it, he didn't have a clue what I was talking about (and I didn't even get on asking about the fare construction....)

Last edited by cauchy; Feb 10, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Old Jul 31, 2020, 6:47 am
Original Member

Hello all
Has anyone had any recent experience with this? I assume it’s still no problem!

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.