Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

3 people test positive for Covid-19 after taking Delta flight from Atlanta to Albany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 people test positive for Covid-19 after taking Delta flight from Atlanta to Albany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by TomMM
Some people are outraged that an app is needed for a BP.

Delta now forces passengers to get their APP in order to get mobile boarding pass!
Ironically there are ways to create contact tracing applications that do a better job of respecting information and data privacy than your average cell phone app. Users have a right to be outraged at requiring an application to view a PNG image.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ethernal
Ironically there are ways to create contact tracing applications that do a better job of respecting information and data privacy than your average cell phone app. Users have a right to be outraged at requiring an application to view a PNG image.
Imagine thinking *this* is what people "have a right to be outraged" about now.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:00 am

The fact they just tested positive does not mean they recently contracted the virus or were contagious on the flight. PCR tests show the presence of the virus for weeks after first contracting it. Since we cannot know who does or does not have it, if you're concerned, assume everyone does and take precautions.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole point is not to worry about what might possibly may have happened. Rather, it is all about reducing risk. The risk here is significantly higher and hence the need to track people down. The passengers on the flight are the easiest part of this, DL has contact info for them, the passengers can be tested over a period of weeks and hopefully all come out negative. Not so easy for those at the coffee counter near the gate.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
An awful piece of reporting. The meaningful facts - were they traveling together, seated next to each other (how far) etc is missing... displaying symptoms next day after exposure seems uncommon - several days is more typical.
I agree, but reporting news is not as important as getting clicks. The headline is the most important part of a news story from a financial perspective.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
What about people with NO cellphones (these are not a requirement for traveling) or those who have "plain Jane" [=non intelligent] CPs.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nrr
What about people with NO cellphones (these are not a requirement for traveling) or those who have "plain Jane" CPs.
There is no change in that situation. The "outrage" is people who want to access the boarding pass on their phone via web browser as opposed to the app. Paper boarding passes remain available, as is clear if you read the thread that people linked to in raising this unrelated issue.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This thread is interesting as a DM phone agent last week claimed that there have been no cases of COVID-19 infections spreading on any DL flight.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:06 pm

Considering we never heard anything more of this story, the agent may indeed be right.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cmd320
Seems like the seat blocking worked very well...
Maybe it did. Maybe there would have been a dozen cases if they were packed to the gills like UA/AA.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Maybe it did. Maybe there would have been a dozen cases if they were packed to the gills like UA/AA.
I don't think we've seen anything to suggest spread is a common occurrence on any aircraft at this point, nor have I seen anything to suggest spread is any more common on AA or UA than DL.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This thread is interesting as a DM phone agent last week claimed that there have been no cases of COVID-19 infections spreading on any DL flight.
Well the IATA claims that there have only been 44 cases of transmission on airplanes *worldwide* *since the start of the pandemic* and they divide that obviously absurd number by 1.2 billion passengers to get the "1 in 27 million chance" that keeps getting spread around. The airline industry has a huge incentive to say "golly gee, sorry you got sick but I'm sure it wasn't from us!", and the delayed incubation gives them plausible deniability to do so. There's a report on Alaska from someone who tested positive a couple days after a flight with a family in the next row coughing on him, and he knows they're not seriously doing contract tracing after he let the airline know because his partner on a separate reservation with a different name never got a call. So yeah...
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I don't think we've seen anything to suggest spread is a common occurrence on any aircraft at this point, nor have I seen anything to suggest spread is any more common on AA or UA than DL.
I have, however, seen plenty to suggest that spread is less common when there are fewer people around you, in any setting. <shrugs>
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I have, however, seen plenty to suggest that spread is less common when there are fewer people around you, in any setting. <shrugs>
Then don't fly. Simple. Stay at home and the rest of us will keep living our lives.

Covid is no more likely to spread on DL/AA/UA/WN/AS or any carrier. The seat blocking is a placebo effect and nothing more. If you are high risk, then consider whether you need to travel. For the average traveler, planes are probably the cleanest they have been in years.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Then don't fly. Simple. Stay at home and the rest of us will keep living our lives.
I'm living my life fine. I'm making a personal decision to fly DL over UA/AA right now because of middle seat blocking. Unsure why it bothers you to the extent that you have to respond with snark. <shrugs>
Pianoman109876 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.