Wiki Posts
Search

JNB A350 Now Scheduled

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by arunhn
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...l-trouble/amp/

Though Delta’s currently blocked from serving Cape Town with the triangle flight, it’s possible that the South African government could reconsider. As retribution for denying Delta rights to serve Cape Town, the DOT is blocking flag carrier South African Airways the “permit to serve Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. on a co-terminal basis.””
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Unfortunately, SAA hasn’t flown co-terminal flights in a while, so it probably won’t matter. Not any time soon.
The doctrine of Stare Decisis applies in this situation regardless of whether SAA hasn’t flown co-terminals in a while and most likely will not be operating for a while.

The U.S. Government is tasked to protecting its aviation interests by ensuring that all bilateral, open skies, and other treaties are enforced equally and equivocally. In this instance where the South African Government is not honouring their part of the bilateral it is necessary for the U.S. Government to respond in kind.

While I am bummed out personally that Delta won’t be returning to Cape Town, it is what it is.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
The doctrine of Stare Decisis applies in this situation regardless of whether SAA hasn’t flown co-terminals in a while and most likely will not be operating for a while.

The U.S. Government is tasked to protecting its aviation interests by ensuring that all bilateral, open skies, and other treaties are enforced equally and equivocally. In this instance where the South African Government is not honouring their part of the bilateral it is necessary for the U.S. Government to respond in kind.

While I am bummed out personally that Delta won’t be returning to Cape Town, it is what it is.
DL never served CPT. CPT was being added simy to allow JNB-ATL to operate with current A359 setup. Now that DL has A359s able to fly JNB-ATL no need for CPT.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL never served CPT. CPT was being added simy to allow JNB-ATL to operate with current A359 setup. Now that DL has A359s able to fly JNB-ATL no need for CPT.
You’re incorrect because Delta used to serve Cape Town via Dakar from Atlanta way back in 2009 that was never reinstated.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
You’re incorrect because Delta used to serve Cape Town via Dakar from Atlanta way back in 2009 that was never reinstated.
CPT actually started from JFK via DKR in 2008, and then moved over to ATL (also via DKR) in 2009, before being suspended in Fall 2009..
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

I agree with you from a policy perspective, just noting that it likely won't have an impact.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I didn't realize you were talking about ever in its history. I thought were talking about DL adding CPT as part of flying JNB-ATL, as that's what discussion has been about.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:37 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I am not convinced that the A359 can make that without payload restrictions, which might be tolerable now because of lower traffic but won't be when traffic returns to normal. Seems to me.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I am not convinced that the A359 can make that without payload restrictions, which might be tolerable now because of lower traffic but won't be when traffic returns to normal. Seems to me.
I wondered the same thing. I read that DL has one A350 with the increased payload rating and will be getting more. Does anyone know if the LATAM A350's that DL is apparently getting have the higher load rating?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by vinnmann
I wondered the same thing. I read that DL has one A350 with the increased payload rating and will be getting more.
Delta currently has 4 of the more capable 280-t A350s (the four most recently delivered ships) - ships 3512 - 3515 or N512DN, N513DZ, N514DN and N515DN
arunhn likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Delta currently has 4 of the more capable 280-t A350s (the four most recently delivered ships) - ships 3512 - 3515 or N512DN, N513DZ, N514DN and N515DN
If and when DL's JNB service returns to a pre covid daily schedule, the 4 "HGW" ships should do the route either way just fine.Deltas next longest A350 route is LAX-SYD and this aircraft type has been executing this route just fine. Thanks for the verification on DL having 4 of these "improved" frames, I was thinking that only the last 2 were the improved guys, since they were the only A350's that DL had delivered last year (2020). N512DN and N513DZ were the only 2 that were delivered to DL in 2019. BTW...a little off topic, but I just happened to notice that DL appears to be exiting PKX all together. I tried to book later this year around November time frame flights into PKX and nothing came up regardless of what day of the week I tried. A few months ago there were N/S flights from both SEA and DTW (both using A339's).Deltas schedule shows network availability out through late May 2022. Now this being out almost a year probably will have some alterations done well before the actual flights happen. Delta also appear to not having the ICN-MNL pieces returning either allowing Korean Air to handle the part.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
BTW...a little off topic, but I just happened to notice that DL appears to be exiting PKX all together. I tried to book later this year around November time frame flights into PKX and nothing came up regardless of what day of the week I tried. A few months ago there were N/S flights from both SEA and DTW (both using A339's).Deltas schedule shows network availability out through late May 2022. Now this being out almost a year probably will have some alterations done well before the actual flights happen. Delta also appear to not having the ICN-MNL pieces returning either allowing Korean Air to handle the part.
Check this thread for China flights.
Check this thread for MNL.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Beijing has to do with China restrictions (not quarantine necessarily) about flights into Beijing.

China has just made a mess of things AFA flying there.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Sad news overall. I was really looking forward to CPT on DL. I used the schedule change to cancel my trip in November. DL offered to re-route using KL, but I'd rather not take the risk that SA's Covid situation gets worse at exactly the wrong time. I've already had to cancel 28 trips over the last year or so, and I'd rather plan on destinations that I know would work out. (In this case, I'm substituting a trip to Kona.)
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Do you mind citing your sources? You’ve been factually incorrect so far in this thread. What China restrictions?
Where was I factually incorrect? Where you never made clear you were talking about CPT from years ago? (When conversation was about DL coming back to JNB which originally was to go via CPT) Your context didn't give any reason to suggest you were talking about over a decade ago.

Or originally when like everybody at the time thought that CPT was still included, till made clear by DL/bloggers it wasn't?

KLM Page shows passengers cant fly into Beijing, but can fly out. Would think someone with DL might understand why not flying there currently.

Also note I said not quarantine related, not "not CV19 related."
eneq likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 28, 2021 at 7:19 am
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:35 am

Where was I factually incorrect? Where you never made clear you were talking about CPT from years ago? (When conversation was about DL coming back to JNB which originally was to go via CPT) Your context didn't give any reason to suggest you were talking about over a decade ago.

Or originally when like everybody at the time thought that CPT was still included, till made clear by DL/bloggers it wasn't?

KLM Page shows passengers cant fly into Beijing, but can fly out. Would think someone with DL might understand why not flying there currently.

Also note I said not quarantine related, not "not CV19 related."
The KLM page that you provided only speaks to their Chengdu and Beijing flights and doesn’t say that passengers cannot fly in.

“All other flights to/from China will remain operated as scheduled.”

Once again you continue to post inaccurate information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.